Stolen WR450F (one of the worst days ever)

Security & Covers Locks Security & Covers Alarms

79 replies to this topic
  • revelc

Posted September 09, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Stolen from East Texas area.
Please help guys!

My bike was stolen early Monday morning a matter of feet from our front door. My wife and I are devastated. We recently had a little boy with some health issues so we are not able to buy another bike.

It's a leftover 2012 WR450F with the mods in my sig. It was in the process of a dual sport conversion and the insurance company wouldn't transfer the existing policy until it was completed.

I am offering a reward for any leads that result in its recovery. I am only 26 and work hard as a diesel mechanic to provide for my family. We saved money and financed what we couldn't pay on the bike.

Riding has been the best therapy for my depression issues. I've also been able to meet some really great friends through riding that have encouraged me and been very helpful along the way.

Someone blessed me with a new pair of A3 boots last week on the same day the hiking boots I had been using were completely thrashed. I can't see God giving me a pair riding boots then taking away my bike! Please pray for my situation. It's really been difficult to keep up the faith in times like this.

If you have any information please don't hesitate to call me at 9035151575. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410286955.721191.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410287124.501676.jpg

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

Edited by revelc, September 09, 2014 - 10:45 AM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 09, 2014 - 10:50 AM

Very sorry to hear about this. Unless it was some local kids or something, keep a close eye out on Craigslist (search bikefinds.com as well - it searches lots of online sites like CL and eBay for you) for everything out to the closest major cities. Otherwise, it'll likely get parted out and put on eBay and you'll never see it again.

I did see a video one time of a guy who found his CRF250 for sale 35 miles from where it was stolen, and went to "check it out" then "go to the bank to get money" and showed back up with the cops.

Is there any homeowners or renters policy that'll cover it? Will you be able to get anything from the insurance company?

• revelc

Posted September 09, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Very sorry to hear about this. Unless it was some local kids or something, keep a close eye out on Craigslist (search bikefinds.com as well - it searches lots of online sites like CL and eBay for you) for everything out to the closest major cities. Otherwise, it'll likely get parted out and put on eBay and you'll never see it again.

I did see a video one time of a guy who found his CRF250 for sale 35 miles from where it was stolen, and went to "check it out" then "go to the bank to get money" and showed back up with the cops.

Is there any homeowners or renters policy that'll cover it? Will you be able to get anything from the insurance company?

I saw the same video. Justice was served.

Unfortunately I have no recourse unless I can find a pro bono lawyer. Progressive said I could have just put it on an ATV policy and that the claims adjuster I spoke to was wrong about transferring the insurance policy (which I have kept current).

A few friends on Reddit are using programs to monitor eBay, CL, and a few other venues for the bike.

They also busted a few meth heads that were caught with a WWII vintage bike they stole out of a barn half a mile from my house a few weeks ago. I'm hoping they get some leads on the racket they are running.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

Edited by revelc, September 09, 2014 - 12:29 PM.

• YZF_MX_rider

Posted September 09, 2014 - 11:45 AM

That is a FINE looking bike! Really hope you get it back! I live over here in kentucky, wish I could help...

• beezer

Posted September 09, 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'm sure the meth heads have it.

I bet you get it back.

Good luck!

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted September 09, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Horrible news buddy, I know all about depression issues myself. Riding helps yes. Hang in there and go at it one
step at a time for recovering the bike.

• stevethe

Posted September 09, 2014 - 03:18 PM

If you have homeowners insurance you could be covered for a dirt bike.

• revelc

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:22 PM

If you have homeowners insurance you could be covered for a dirt bike.

I don't but my parents do and we live on the same property. They are looking into it.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• DunmireD001

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Same thing happened to me 3 years ago. And only had liability insurance so it was a complete loss! The search continues.

• cubera

Posted September 09, 2014 - 06:20 PM

revelc when I hear things like this it makes me extremely ill. You'll either get your bike back or God has better plans for you. I can relate to your riding as a form of therapy. I do the same. Keep us posted!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:09 PM

It's a kick to the gut, almost like betrayal....but it's from total strangers so you're at a loss. So sorry. Fingers crossed the insurance covers it.

As for checking Craigslist make sure to scour the CL within a 500 mile radius. Use craigslook.com to get that wider search area.

• revelc

Posted September 10, 2014 - 03:17 AM

It's a kick to the gut, almost like betrayal....but it's from total strangers so you're at a loss. So sorry. Fingers crossed the insurance covers it.
As for checking Craigslist make sure to scour the CL within a 500 mile radius. Use craigslook.com to get that wider search area.

Some riding buddies have set up search alerts for 5 states. If any WR450F posts pop up on CL, EBay, and a few other sites they are immediately notified. I'm also talking to people in the surrounding community and have identified one individual (meth junkie) who was caught trespassing a few months ago at our home.

I live in the country. My neighbors are furious. It's supposed to be safe and quiet here. Around the same time we caught the guy scoping out our property we had a tweaker drive off the road, into a ditch where my neighbor and his dog were standing, and killed his Aussie Shepard right in front of him. Never hit the brakes once.

They also stole a WWII BMW replica bike and AC equipment from a man down the street with terminal cancer.

I know the general area where one guy lives. Someone I described him to gave me his name and I did some digging. He's got a lengthy record and is covered in prison tats.

Ugh.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410347479.983796.jpg

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• beezer

Posted September 10, 2014 - 06:56 AM

I'd check with your insurance company again not take no for an answer.

You said you have a current policy.

Firm but polite can work wonders.

• RMK800

Posted September 10, 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'd check with your insurance company again not take no for an answer.

You said you have a current policy.

Firm but polite can work wonders.

Not to be a spoiler of bad news, but home insurance does not cover ATV, Motorcycle's, in your garage, yard or being towed or theft.

The costs of these machines would make your home owners rates higher. Think about a brand new 15000.00 side by side or Motorcycle or even a Boat on your garage if your house catches on fire. Those items are not covered along with theft. I don't carry insurance on my five bikes, I don't worry to much about theft, I worry about the idiots hitting my trailer when towing them. I'll probably add insurance next spring.

I hope you get that bike back, you have a good chance!

Edited by RMK800, September 10, 2014 - 08:39 AM.

• rtheil

Posted September 10, 2014 - 09:35 AM

What a bummer!

Homeowners insurance always excludes motorized vehicles which are not used to maintain the home. Lawnmowers, trimmers, hedgers, snowblowers, etc. are covered. There's also a gray area which allows some ATVs to be covered if you can prove they are used to maintain your home or property a certain portion of the year. I asked State Farm if I were to convert my ATV to have a snow plow, if that would count, and they said it wouldn't work because it's not used enough to maintain the home. If the bike isn't insured, I'm transporting it in my truck and I get into an accident, good bye bike. All our dirt toys are insured year-round. I had a gas scooter stolen out of my garage about 10 years ago... not covered. That was the last time I made that mistake.

IMO, time to find a new insurer. When an insurance company screws you, it's time to leave.

Try contacting the people at www.attorneysforconsumers.com. I've used them for a lemon law case, but they handle a lot of other cases and they work on contingency (they get paid if they win/settle). Maybe they can help you out.

Put another bike out as bait, and catch that mofo!!!

Edited by rtheil, September 10, 2014 - 09:36 AM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 10, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like you need to make a strong case that the WR450 is primarily used to check fences and survey property conditions.

• revelc

Posted September 12, 2014 - 11:25 AM

Update:

Well today started off pretty rough. We were up a lot with our son last night. We started the eye patching and put his contact in yesterday to correct his vision. I guess that's not much fun for a 2 month old because he was really upset.

Long story short I overslept and was running late to work ( very unlike me ). When I got there a customer was waiting for me with my boss. He pulled me aside and said he got an old dirt bike recently in a trade for a car. It was sitting at a shop and needed a new jug and piston.

He didn't know anything about it other than its an 80's model dirt bike. He said he was going to give it to me since I've taken care of him and jumped on his vehicles when he brings us something.

So I might be just have something to ride after all.

Still holding out on getting my WR back though. Please say a little prayer for us.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• underground-mpyre

Posted September 13, 2014 - 02:59 AM

That really sucks hearing your story. I hope the best for you that you recover your bike and the worst for the thieves. Hopefully it will turn up sometime soon.

I am glad someone has the compassion to return the favor and let you have or use a dirtbike till you get back on your feet.

• beezer

Posted September 13, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Just remember your stolen bike is just a piece of metal.  You'll know next time to keep the bike inside the house and make 100% sure it's insured.

The scumbag that stole it will get his.  Meth heads don't live long.

I'm sure your little boy will overcome his ailments which is the important thing.

• revelc

Posted September 13, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Just remember your stolen bike is just a piece of metal. You'll know next time to keep the bike inside the house and make 100% sure it's insured.

The scumbag that stole it will get his. Meth heads don't live long.

I'm sure your little boy will overcome his ailments which is the important thing.

It is replaceable. But it being financed makes things suck as we will be paying for it for a few years with interest and all that.

Police have a name from a tip I gave them. He's a known thief in the area and they've already had some calls about him taking other bikes.

Asher will pull through. He's been a trooper so far. We almost lost him when he was born so we are grateful that he's even alive. He is our first child so its been a wild experience so far.

He just has to wear an eye patch up until his teens with a few surgeries along the way, I just hate it for him. I'm sure everyone wants their kids to be healthy though.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Disc Lock question by RABBIDCOW55

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

What is a good lock? by Donjholt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

How to minimize the risk of your bike getting jacked? by oceantrav

• Hot  54 replies
Forums
Photo

Possible line on a stolen bike in Bakersfield area by condor74

• Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

Bike got jacked :-( by planetwister

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  63 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.