speedo eliminator

7 replies to this topic
  • jarabe1

Posted September 08, 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hi guys I just bought a Vapor and I want to eliminate the stock wheel odometer. I've been looking on ebay and rocky mount with no luck. Do you guys have the link where I can get one?

thanks in advance

• cracker please

Posted September 08, 2014 - 08:35 PM

http://appliedrace.c...4806d8c4bb1f528

I got that one.  Flatland racing makes one too.  Probably a couple other ones out there.  You could also just cut the cable off, I think there's a little cap that comes with the vapor to cover it up.

• DRZ04

Posted September 10, 2014 - 08:39 PM

I just bought a Vapor from RCMC last week. = Trail Tech Vapor Speedometer/Tachometer - 2011 Yamaha WR450F part # 1152320004 $116.69 with free shipping.

I removed the stock speedo gear & wiring all the way up to the speedo, but you will need to install a spacer to take up the room, but I installed a set of 17" SM wheels. I sure would not want to cut the wires on the stock unit.

Edited by DRZ04, September 10, 2014 - 08:44 PM.

• mch

Posted September 10, 2014 - 09:46 PM

I just ditched my speedo cable recently because the cable was damaged and not sure what the deal was, but the speedo was reading a speed about double than actual.  I'm cruising down a desert road at about 40mph, 1 hand on the bar, and motor not revving too much and it's saying I was going 93mph.

That being said, I no longer needed the cable so cutting it wasn't a big deal.  What I wasn't expecting was that the Flatland racing spacer / wheel bearing cover requires that you pull the seal off of the original speedo-spacer-bearing cover and stick it on the Flatland racing unit.  I tried prying it out with a screwdriver, etc., but wasn't having much luck.  I finally stuck it in a vice and tweaked the housing until it deformed and then I got the seal out.  I actually have a new speedo cable in a box, but think it was like $100+ if I want to get it working again or if I want to sell the dirt bike. 

Edited by mch, September 10, 2014 - 10:39 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 10, 2014 - 10:34 PM

I just ditched my speedo cable recently because the cable was damaged and not sure what the deal was, but the speedo was reading a speed about double than actual.  I'm cruisind down a desert road at about 40mph, 1 hand on the bar, and motor not revving too much and it's saying I was going 93mph.

That being said, I no longer needed the cable so cutting it wasn't a big deal.  What I wasn't expecting was that the Flatland racing spacer / wheel bearing cover requires that you pull the seal off of the original speedo-spacer-bearing cover and stick it on the Flatland racing unit.  I tried prying it out with a screwdriver, etc., but wasn't having much luck.  I finally stuck it in a vice and tweaked the housing until it deformed and then I got the seal out.  I actually have a new speedo cable in a box, but think it was like $100+ if I want to get it working again or if I want to sell the dirt bike. 

I run the flatland unit as well.  I too had trouble getting the seal out of the stocker.   I can't remember how I did it.  Just wanted to say that you weren't alone.

• JVP

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:12 AM

My two cents.. Trail Tech stuff is crap. They are cheaply made from China and don't hold up for dirt riding.  You are better off using a GPS system to gage your mileage and speed.  However, if you are going that route Barnum Pro Products makes a nice billet aluminum odometer spacer to replace the stock front wheel spacer for the WR's.  The only issue with Barnum's is I think they may be out of business, so you will have to do some research to find one.

• DRZ04

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:07 PM

My reference was for my 2013 WR450F & it is an electrical wire from the wheel adapter to the speedo not a cable. The vapor I have on my DRZ435 came with a small rubber plug that fits in the whole the cable inserts into.

• jarabe1

Posted September 17, 2014 - 06:22 PM

http://appliedrace.c...4806d8c4bb1f528

I got that one.  Flatland racing makes one too.  Probably a couple other ones out there.  You could also just cut the cable off, I think there's a little cap that comes with the vapor to cover it up.

Thank you guys, I just cut the cable off ;)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.