wr400 running dc power?

10 replies to this topic
  • 90atk

Posted September 08, 2014 - 03:41 PM

i have a yz400 with a wr400 stator so i thought this would go better in the wr section. i know the stator runs ac. but what i want to know is can i get a rectifier to run it dc and get away with not using a battery? i want to keep it real simple and would really prefer to just keep it ac but i need to power a led tail light so its gota be dc. thanks.

• exracer2

Posted September 08, 2014 - 06:04 PM

my wr 400 and 426 run led tail and turn signals lights and I am not using a rectifier or battery!

• DunmireD001

Posted September 08, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Yes you can do this, but it requires floating the ground. I can explain all of this step by step if you wish. This requires some mechanical know how. The reason is bc yamaha ran everything on this bike as AC, and soldered the ground wire for the lighting, to the baseplate of the stator, thus making the whole engine a ground, as well as the frame that the engine is mounted to. You could hook up a rectifier to your current lighting + wire, and that would give you DC power, but you need a DC ground, which is not on the bike. Until you unsolder that ground, and run it to the rectifier as well.

Or another easier method I have seen ppl do, is take a rechargeable 12v drill battery, or (any 12v battery) and use that to power their LED's. apparently it holds charge for a good amount of time, and you can re-charge them within a couple hours. It just depends how often you use your lights when riding.

So you basically have to choose between opening up an engine case and pulling a stator, (which can be somewhat difficult) but well worth it IMO. Or take the easy route, but requires a battery as well as recharging from time to time

• ThumpMe

Posted September 09, 2014 - 06:05 AM

Electrical is not anywhere near one of my strong points but I can tell you I added LED taillights (Aftermarket bulb, another complete brake/running light unit AND another WAY bright brake light) AND some job rated pretty much indestructible, really bright, really small LED blinkers to my '99 WR400. I also added a real small front LED headlight that is WAY brighter than the stock lights and I run it ALL off the stock setup with no battery. It has all been working fine for a couple years too.

Edited by ThumpMe, September 09, 2014 - 06:07 AM.

• jones.2677

Posted September 09, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Electrical is not anywhere near one of my strong points but I can tell you I added LED taillights (Aftermarket bulb, another complete brake/running light unit AND another WAY bright brake light) AND some job rated pretty much indestructible, really bright, really small LED blinkers to my '99 WR400. I also added a real small front LED headlight that is WAY brighter than the stock lights and I run it ALL off the stock setup with no battery. It has all been working fine for a couple years too.

What kind of headlight is it? I have a new to me wr and am looking for a headlight setup.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 90atk

Posted September 09, 2014 - 03:39 PM

and this is on ac or dc?

• DunmireD001

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:39 PM

This is what I've done to my 01 wr426. After floating the ground. All DC powered led tail lights and blinkers. Headlight is also DC powered.

You'll notice the bike is not running. This is bc I've installed a battery. If I left the battery out, it would still work off of engine power.

• 90atk

Posted September 10, 2014 - 03:48 AM

nice set up when i first saw those front blinker i thought those wouldnt last a second in the woods then you flexed them pretty cool. so i was looking at the tail light i have online and its led and it says it can run ac or dc on their website so im gona try ac and see what happens. thanks for all the input.

• ThumpMe

Posted September 10, 2014 - 09:47 AM

The '99 WR400 is strictly AC as all power comes off the lighting coil.

I bought this little kit and assembled it myself from LED Supply and it is amazing at how much light it puts out for it's size. WAY better and brighter than the stock headlight, and uses less power to boot! They also informed me that their drivers(that is what powers the LED's.... you run power into the little driver and then wire that to the LED) will work with either AC or DC and a whole range of voltage.....I think it was like from 3 volts all the way up to 30.

I liked it so much I even built several more using MY design and their components. That is also what I made the job rated indestructible turn signals out of as well cause I have a way of destroying things that stick out off my dirt bikes! HA!

I do not like how bright most LED blinkers are as you can barely see them during the day so I built these and THEN had to tone em down cause they were so bright I think I would have got pulled over if a cop saw em. They are STILL really bright and only one inch in diameter.

• ThumpMe

Posted September 10, 2014 - 09:53 AM

DunmireD001,

Those ARE some pretty trick blinkers on the front of yours as well!

I also put a DC horn on mine that came off of a Vespa scooter. THAT could be a lot louder and sounds more like squishing a duck than a horn.....

• ThumpMe

Posted September 10, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Here are a couple pictures of the headlight and blinkers.

After I built the larger/brighter one I took and mounted the kit one I got from them to my helmet so I can have light whichever direction I turn my head....it plugs into the bike at an outlet up by the handlebar mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• WR lights and blinkers 001.JPG
  • WR lights and blinkers 002.JPG
  • WR lights and blinkers 005.JPG

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.