Front wheel humming sound

4 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:01 PM

I feel stupid for asking this question, but I'm at my wits end. There is nothing worse then ruining a ride listening to my front wheel hum. Mostly on slower down hill parts.

So I have taken the wheel off probably 4 times. I have tried greasing everything up, I've tried different ways of bolting/tightening the front wheel on and maybe this is my issue.

This is my procedure

Put axle through forks, tighten left side fork pinch bolts.... This is the part I'm not sure of. I have tried both ways. Do I tighten the axle nut then tighten right pinch bolts? Or should I do the pinch bolts first then axle nut?

I do believe the sound is coming from the wheel spacer, as the wheel is turning the humming is coming for there. Does the wheel spacer have any movement or should it be tightened down with the axle nut?

I guess it could be something else, but I can only get it to hum on slower stuff and not on a stand.

Thanks!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hard to say

Try running it dead engine on the street, on a long hill

Wheel setting procedure:

Bike on stand

Install axle with nut no more than 3-4lbs

Insert hex tool inside of axle, and rotate axle and spin the wheel

Keep rotating the axle until you find the spot where the wheel spins the best.

If you are unable to rotate the axle in the clamps, pull it all apart, and inspect the axle for mushrooming/corrosion etc, and repair with scotchbrite, etc.

Grease axle, especially the wide hex part, and re install

Spin the front wheel fast as you can and jam on the front brakes. Several times

This will hopefully set the two fork tubes in parralell with each other

If your wheel or spacer or anything else is suspect, or not stock, do a search in this forum on 'are your forks binding' and follow those recommendations

Now that you believe the forks are set parralell, tighten the left (seated) fork lug clamps.

Spin the wheel again and jam on the brakes again just in case

Now tighten the axle using the hex tool to hold it in place, to 25ftlbs (1/2 spec?)

Now tighten the right (seated) fork clamps.

Now tighten the axle nut to 50 ft lbs (spec?)

Test on the stand for good wheel spin

Test of the stand for good fork action,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Krannie. I'll be honest I didn't even know there was a hex tool. I always wondered why that axle bolt was shaped like it was. I've been doing all my bikes wrong.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 07, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Thanks Krannie. I'll be honest I didn't even know there was a hex tool. I always wondered why that axle bolt was shaped like it was. I've been doing all my bikes wrong.

Join the club

• redhurricane

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:48 AM

If you have not already done so, lube the dust covers on the wheel spacers. when dry, they tend to exhibit the sounds you are describing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.