2001? Yzf 426 stroked complete resto

63 replies to this topic
  • eatbraapdestroy

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:37 PM

How is the bike? Any progress made?

• Nick H

Posted April 11, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Well guys another riding season is upon us and I have decided to give this motor another shot at figuring out that tapping noise.The bike has sat in storage since last year when I gave up on the project temporarily.pulled the valve cover today and started checking everything over with a fresh mind. One of my intake valves has excessive clearance (can't remember what it was off hand will post specs tomorrow when I grab the paper I wrote them on from work) and the shim is stuck in the valve. Just read a thread in which grayracer layed out a method of tapping on the top of the valve lightly with a magnet handy.I will be trying that tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted on progress.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nick H

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Well I have an update for you guys. Dropped the bike off at the local shop.they ran the bike and blew a piston.Apparently one of the intake valves was hitting the piston but I don't see any evidence of that on the valve just on the piston. I have a spare used head that I will be shipping to mongoose cylinder works on Monday to have rebuilt.amazingly the crank and cylinder came out completely unscathed. I cannot believe a valve was causing all that noise and yet the bike would start first kick.Heres some pics let me know what you guys think.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460779226.711330.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460779239.246788.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:04 AM

What exactly happened to the piston (other than the missing chunk of ring land)?  It looks to me as if it's been hitting the head squish area for a while.  If I were you, I'd double check the rod bearing clearance.

Solvent test the valves.  If any leak, pull them and chuck the stems in a lathe or even a drill and check them for being bent. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.