2001? Yzf 426 stroked complete resto

63 replies to this topic
  • Nick H

Posted June 04, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Valve clearance is as follows - intake 1=0.15mm intake 2=0.19mm intake 3=0.16mm
Exhaust 1=0.25mm exhaust 2=.30mm
I am beginning to run out of ideas.Tried running a snake cam through the spark plug hole but there is not enough light so the only way to check the piston is going to be pulling the head and if I do that I might as well pull the cylinder as well so I can check the connecting rod.

• Nick H

Posted June 20, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Ok so finally had a chance to tear down the top end. Problem found. The piston has gouged the cylinder with two hours on the motor. The Pistons compression rings had their end gaps in line with each other as well. Connecting rod has 0 up and down play.Grayracer any ideas on what could have caused this?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1434861926.272533.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1434861939.454111.jpg

Edited by Nick H, June 20, 2015 - 08:46 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2015 - 08:05 AM

What it looks like is either the piston was fit too tight, or it picked up something and wedged it between the piston and cylinder wall.  The cylinder looks to me to have a little more than two hours on it, though.  Hard to tell.

• jojo1224

Posted June 21, 2015 - 08:09 AM

What's the other side of the piston look like? 2 marks also? If so I'd say the piston to bore clearance was to tight.

• Nick H

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:45 AM

I don't know if the cylinder was a fresh replate or not. The story behind the engine is that gt thunder did the stroker kit + bottom end rebuild. The previous owner did the top end and the shop I bought it off of supposedly make a custom timing chain (I call b.s. On that at this point) and did some head work plus the hot cams. I built the rest of the bike. So now I guess I'm looking for a reputable company to replate the cylinder plus a new piston and rings. After just doing the clutch and clutch basket this stings.The piston that's in it was supposedly a hi-comp piston.Not sure if I should go home-comp again or stock compression ratio.

Edited by Nick H, June 21, 2015 - 10:48 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2015 - 06:15 AM

The other comment that I withheld was that the cylinder looks like it has more than two hours on it, frankly.  If it was used enough, it could have had a worn spot in the plating where the aluminum showed through. 

• Nick H

Posted June 23, 2015 - 11:32 AM

I am in agreement with you grayracer.So the only place I have found in BC to replate the cylinder is mongoose and they quoted me just over $400 for a replate.The yammi dealer quoted 530$ plus tax for a new cylinder. Looks like I got hosed on this one.

• jojo1224

Posted June 23, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Send it to US Chrome it will be about $200. Call them first.

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 23, 2015 - 03:41 PM

Or tgere is one on ebay right now for $180 canadian used but excellent shape, comes with piston and rings. Also a brand new ine on tgere for 300 check em out

• Silverado 996

Posted August 20, 2015 - 02:57 AM

I don't know if the cylinder was a fresh replate or not. The story behind the engine is that gt thunder did the stroker kit + bottom end rebuild. The previous owner did the top end and the shop I bought it off of supposedly make a custom timing chain (I call b.s. On that at this point) and did some head work plus the hot cams. I built the rest of the bike. So now I guess I'm looking for a reputable company to replate the cylinder plus a new piston and rings. After just doing the clutch and clutch basket this stings.The piston that's in it was supposedly a hi-comp piston.Not sure if I should go home-comp again or stock compression ratio.

anymore updates? did you get it back together?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nick H

Posted August 20, 2015 - 05:38 AM

Cylinder was sent to Mongoose cylinder works for replating. Original shop paid for that and sold me a new high compression forged wiesco piston + top end kit. My parts are in transit back to me as we speak.It sure will be a nice feeling getting this motor back together.

• Silverado 996

Posted August 20, 2015 - 05:44 AM

Cylinder was sent to Mongoose cylinder works for replating. Original shop paid for that and sold me a new high compression forged wiesco piston + top end kit. My parts are in transit back to me as we speak.It sure will be a nice feeling getting this motor back together.

• Silverado 996

Posted August 20, 2015 - 05:48 AM

Good deal. I stumbled across the thread this morning and read through it, got to the end and wondered if you got it back together. The 426 is a great bike, fun as heck to ride and quick.

Good luck and update us when you can.

• Nick H

Posted August 21, 2015 - 08:18 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216816.009217.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216835.740789.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216855.325495.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216879.944110.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216900.129101.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216913.930137.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216925.631050.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440216937.780535.jpg
Ok so the replated cylinder, new piston and rings plus a top end gasket kit finally showed up today.installed all parts and fired the bike up. There is a very loud rpm dependant noise! The bike starts and idles easily. I have double checked cam timing. The only parts I still have on order is a primary drive (crank) retaining nut + washer + associated case gasket and a header to muffler gasket. I am at a loss at this point. Have a faint hope of curing it with the crank nut but who knows. Parts will be here Wednesday.

Edited by Nick H, August 21, 2015 - 08:28 PM.

• Nick H

Posted August 22, 2015 - 02:12 PM

Used a mechanics stethoscope today and it seems like the noise is coming from the crank nut. So I have finished throwing the plastics back on and buttoned up the top end. Fingers crossed! Also have finally drilled out the last of the broken bolts in the frame that were preventing me from mounting the last of the skidplates so those will be going on soon as well.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440281529.073554.jpg

Edited by Nick H, August 22, 2015 - 03:06 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2015 - 07:33 AM

The noise that is caused by the crank nut loosening almost always comes from the deformation of the square key that locates the balancer gear on the crank behind the main drive gear.  If the new Yamaha key fits loose in the crank, that indicates that the crank key way has also been beat up, and you should but a generic square key and file it to fit snugly.  If it's just a little loose, Loc-Tite bearing mount may be helpful as an alternative.

BTW, If it has such a key on the balancer gear, it's a 2000 model, or an earlier YZ400F.  Starting in '01, the balancer gear was splined.

• Nick H

Posted August 24, 2015 - 01:20 PM

Wrapped the tank today.Thought I would post a pic. Still waiting on bottom end parts.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440451221.929660.jpg

• Nick H

Posted August 25, 2015 - 10:00 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440568670.901750.jpg
So the bottom end parts showed up a day early. The old crank nut and crank showed damage to the threads upon removal. Going to get a die tomorrow that's the correct size for the crank as my set doesn't go quite large enough.Both gears on the crank are splined and did not have much play at all so I am concerned this might not be the cause of the noise I am hearing.however the gear lash between the crank gear and the counterbalancer gear seems to be quite large.Does anyone have a spec for this?Also the manual I have refers to using the woodruff key on the counter balancer drive gear as part of the gear timing process. I want to make sure my counterbalancer weights are aligned properly however my crank is of the later splined variety. Can someone post on how to properly time this gear set? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Nick H, August 25, 2015 - 10:37 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2015 - 06:16 AM

So, with splines, it is in fact a 2001 or newer crank.  There are timing marks on the crank balancer drive and driven gears, and each gear has a "key spline" so that it goes onto its shaft only one way.

There is no spec listed for the drive gear backlash, although in '08, they did take steps to reduce it.

The big YZF has a rep for being generally noisy.

• Nick H

Posted August 26, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thank you grayracer for the information. Repair of the crank + installation of the crank nut went smoothly. However the terrible noise is still making itself heard. So at this point I have exactly 0 idea how I am going to move forward. I am at the point where I am almost ready to take it to the dealer. Counterbalancer timing was correct as well. So to recap brand new top end.Crank only has a few hours on it and turns smoothly. Connecting Rod has zero up and down play. Everything under the outer clutch cover is in excellent shape. If anyone has any other ideas on where to go with this (grayracer) I am 100% open to suggestions.
Edit : After the new nut was installed I checked for excessive play between the counterbalancer driven and slave gears and play was minimal.

Edited by Nick H, August 26, 2015 - 06:43 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.