New Springs

6 replies to this topic
  • crashtester

Posted January 29, 2004 - 07:40 AM

All,

I have searched the form, but am still unclear as to new springs (fork) and the length. Will I be required to cut a new spacer?????

Also, given that Eibach is an OEM supplier for RaceTech are there any "differences" between Eibach and RachTech springs, are they identical for the same application (i.e. 02 650r)? I can't seem to find the correct part number for the Eibach fork springs at .49, but have no problem locating the part for RaceTech.

Is changing the fork springs/fluid and shock spring as easy as it looks in the manual? Also, there a way to get around the special tool for removing the shock spring?

Thanks.

• BWB63

Posted January 29, 2004 - 09:55 AM

I have used the springs from Eibach, RaceTech and Lindemann Engineering on the suspensions I do. I run the Eibachs in mine and only Eibach for the shock sping. The Racetech use a spacer on the fork spring. The Eibach and the ones from Lindemann don't. Lindemann (408)371-6151 Have been the best to deal with in getting what I want in a timely manner and will not tell you they have something when the don't. They sell a good product. Most of the others don't check and back order it and don't tell you so, you could be waiting for a long time to get your springs.
If you don't have a spring wrench for the shock a good big screw drive and hammer works. When setting your race sag for the shock spring to be close before you put the shock back on the bike, after spinning the nut down start spinning the spring and the nut usaly fallows. When you can't spin the spring any more your getting close. Set it so that you have a 1 1/8 of thread above the lock nut. Then after you get the shock back on the bike and are finished. Messuring from a spot on the back fender to the axle nut with the bike of the ground and then messure it again with you ready to ride standing on the pegs. (Good to have two other to help, one balance the bike the other messure)...The difference should be 3 3/4 inches (85~95mm). Lindemann has a tendency to tell you real stiff fork springs as does Racetech. What do you weigh?

• CAM2R

Posted January 29, 2004 - 06:07 PM

Gotta jump in and give Lindemann Engineering a :)
Last week I got my springs both fork/shock from them. Called - they had them in stock - 30 minutes later they were in my hands. Happened to be working in the area that day. Now I've got Eibachs - .50 up front and a 12Kg rear. Did I mention that on a good day I outweigh the bike :D

Took my time and had it all back together and riding the next day. 2.5 wt in the forks. No bottoming, very nice! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted January 29, 2004 - 06:32 PM

Very rarely do you find a business that is as good as Lindemann. I have bought a lot of springs for him but, have never met him. Talk to him on the phone once, my wife does all the ordering. All I know is I tell my wife what I need for a rider and it is at the front door the next day or day after at the most :) He does like to recomend fork springs stiffer for the riders weight then I do. But, he deals with balls to the walls riders more then I do. Must use a different chart. I don't think there is a stiffer spring then a .50kg. I have never done a suspension for someone over 300#. Come to think of it I haven't used higher then a .49kg fork spring. That was for a beginner rider that weighed 290#. :D I would like to see 620 something pounds going over the table tops, That would prove the worth of the BRP. :D

• crashtester

Posted January 30, 2004 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I am about 6'4" 270 (mostly woods riding, like to ride the MX track too :). Am getting ready to call Lindemann and put in my order. The charts I have seen recommend about .5 (actually a little more) and 11.4 for the shock. Anything is better than what I have now. Thanks again.
Am also calling/placing order with Thumper talk today for my exhaust (Eseries).... I guess I need a part-time job.

• CAM2R

Posted January 30, 2004 - 04:21 PM

[QUOTE]
...I don't think there is a stiffer spring then a .50kg. I have never done a suspension for someone over 300#. Come to think of it I haven't used higher then a .49kg fork spring.

When I was in the shop he said that there wasn't anything stiffer. Guess that means less :) and more exercise :D If I want to keep a suspension that works under me.

[QUOTE]
I would like to see 620 something pounds going over the table tops, That would prove the worth of the BRP. :D

It'll never happen intentionally :D Not sure if you could dial up enough rebound to control that much of a landing :D

• BWB63

Posted February 01, 2004 - 06:37 PM

If you ever want to ride out in Beaumont California let me know.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.