2012 WR450 Battery

11 replies to this topic
  • Tateco10

Posted September 06, 2014 - 01:59 AM

I can get about 2 days out of my battery before it drains down enough to not let fuel pump work. My light stays on when switch is on but not running. Can i bypass the light with a switch? Does anyone else have this issue?

• woods-rider

Posted September 06, 2014 - 03:02 AM

Have you added any electrical accessories? My battery has never died on my 2012.

• Tateco10

Posted September 06, 2014 - 07:58 AM

Have you added any electrical accessories? My battery has never died on my 2012.

Just did the mapping to tame it down for trails.

• woods-rider

Posted September 06, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Just did the mapping to tame it down for trails.

Do you start and stop a LOT?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 06, 2014 - 11:02 AM

I can get about 2 days out of my battery before it drains down enough to not let fuel pump work. My light stays on when switch is on but not running. Can i bypass the light with a switch? Does anyone else have this issue?

The draw of the 5w bulb is not the issue

Re-do the battery grounds, and best of all run a second ground wire directly to the starter mounting

The stock battery is budget quality, at best.

A battery tender when you are not riding will keep it up in voltage.

You need a Li iOn if you want it trouble free.

• cracker please

Posted September 06, 2014 - 12:13 PM

I usually turn my headlight off if I'm gonna restart it with the button.  I have a dual sport switch with a headlight off position.  I usually hit that or turn the ignition off and back on to reset the headlight relay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revelc

Posted September 06, 2014 - 03:14 PM

The draw of the 5w bulb is not the issue
Re-do the battery grounds, and best of all run a second ground wire directly to the starter mounting
The stock battery is budget quality, at best.
A battery tender when you are not riding will keep it up in voltage.
You need a Li iOn if you want it trouble free.

Do those fancy batteries help with hot starts at all?

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 06, 2014 - 03:36 PM

Do those fancy batteries help with hot starts at all?

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

They just turn the starter motor....they dont' change mapping or jetting! 

• revelc

Posted September 06, 2014 - 06:46 PM

They just turn the starter motor....they dont' change mapping or jetting!

Didn't know if more CCA would turn it faster for easier start or it was weight reduction thing.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 06, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Didn't know if more CCA would turn it faster for easier start or it was weight reduction thing.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

Both

It spins noticably faster with the Li ion battery

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:20 PM

I'd like to get a lithium battery, but my stock battery just won't die. It's the original battery ('11), doesn't get used sometimes for weeks at a time (with no trickle), and just keeps working. It doesn't spin the motor overly impressively, but it starts it great cold or hot (although kicking it starts it faster). I have had a Shorai in my Rocky Mtn shopping cart a number of times, but just can't justify it when the stock battery keeps ticking.

• cubera

Posted September 08, 2014 - 11:46 AM

When the stock batteries go they go fast without much notice. That's when to replace with the lighter weight Li battery. These batteries crank better when they are hot so they're a good choice for bikes used in high heat conditions or restarts after stalls bumping and chugging over ugly stuff. Honestly what's impressive is the weight savings and that they last a long time. Money well spent as a replacement battery IMHO. The battery on my 2013 with 65 hours on the motor works great still but when it goes it'll get replaced with the most powerful Li I can find. (I've kick started the bike maybe 6 times and only to see if it works....)

Edited by cubera, September 08, 2014 - 11:48 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.