Advice on suspension

6 replies to this topic
  • Kirtwell

Posted January 25, 2002 - 06:45 AM

Hey guys,
I'm a 37 y/old ride mostly MX on an 01' YZ426.
I'm 6', 225 lbs. I'm a mid pack novice level rider.
In the last 6 months I've really stepped up my riding..hope it lasts.........anyway, I'm bottoming my front and rear suspension more and more lately. Normal maintenance, I changed out the front fork oil, and per a dealer mechanic's advice, I added 5mm more oil in each fork. It really made a difference.
This last weekend I seat jumped a stepup and I kept feeling the rear suspension hit hard bottom on the face. I've never felt it do that before, also, I felt the front forks bottom on an aggressive face. I don't like the way my bike flys after I bottom out like that.
I've played with the settings on the forks and the rear springs..but guys I swear I can't feel any difference. What gives here?
I hear it all the time that bottoming is normal...but I want to hear from some larger 200+ lb. riders that suffered with this and have successfully sent their suspensions out and got good results.

• h_bomb

Posted January 25, 2002 - 02:40 PM

I think you need stiffer springs,they will hold your bike up better and more control,or get your valving stiffend up it sounds like your blowing through the stroke to fast.GOOD LUCK :)

• BFLee

Posted January 25, 2002 - 08:29 PM

Go to www.RaceTech.com and check out the Product and Valving selector. I found it very usefull and bought the springs they recommended for my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichB

Posted January 26, 2002 - 05:19 AM

You definetly need to go up on the springs. I was your weight for a good number of years and finally lost about 20-25 lbs this past year. Now I can ride with the stock hardware save the fork oil level which I raised to 100mm (huge difference). Even at my current weight it is fairly close to boarderline going up on the spring rate. You can either go up on the springs or lose 20lbs, but realistically, that's probably what you're up against.

Do less triples at Wendy's and more on the track-that's my motto

• John_Curea

Posted January 27, 2002 - 07:17 AM

Kirtwell

At 225lbs. the stock fork springs (.48) are good, the stock shock spring (5.5) is too light. I reccommend a 5.8 shock spring.

As far as feeling the shock bottoming "all of a sudden", I think your shock fluid has oxidized to the point where you are getting gas bubbles in the fluid. When this happens, you get a mixture of fluid and gas bubbles flowing through the valving, this offers little if any damping. A complete teardown, inspection, and fluid change is in order....

Take Care, John

• h_bomb

Posted January 27, 2002 - 02:07 PM

Your stock springs are 4.6front 5.4 rear go with 4.8 and a 5.8.

• John_Curea

Posted January 27, 2002 - 06:15 PM

h bomb
You are right, I stand corrected, the stock fork springs are 4.6

Although, we have measured the rear spring in at 5.5, either way, he still needs a 5.8 in back.

Take Care, John

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.