Intermitent clunk

4 replies to this topic
  • VOODOOCHILD

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:40 PM

This evening I was riding my 1998 YZ400 and started to hear an intermittent knocking noise. It is not a piston knock too intermittent. Put it in the garage and took covers off and found the decompression lever was stuck open. So I started it up again to see if that had anything to do with it and noise still there. Shut it off right away. Bike starts just as easy as always. Shifts fine too. Not sure wear to start. Going to pull oil filter to look for trash. Oil was full and clean too. Thinking possible cam chain or valve adjustment or even chain tensioner. Just looking for alittle direction. Thanks.

• YamaLink

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:54 AM

Wild stab in the dark: check your lower shock bearing. They are first to go bad and often make a clunk or thunk sound just lifting in a garage. If you're hearing noise with throttle off over rough terrain that clunk clunk could be it.

Best of luck finding the noise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2014 - 11:36 AM

The 400 and the 200 model 426 have a square key that achhors the balancer drive gear to the crank instead of splines as on the later ones.  If the crank nut works just a little loose, the balancer gear can start rattling back and forth on the crank/key.  Something to look at. 

• VOODOOCHILD

Posted September 04, 2014 - 04:41 AM

Thank you gentlemen I will definetly check both of those. Anything better to do than putting another oem keyway maybe some different material if it is that? Upgrade to spline type maybe? Thanks again.

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Upgrading to the spline type gear of the later models would require changing the crank, but that would mean a 426 crank in your case.  Then you'd set off a cascade of other required parts to make the crank match the rest of the engine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.