How restrictive is the air box snorkel on a 2012 WR450?

24 replies to this topic
  • Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:40 AM

How restrictive is the air box snorkel?

I just picked up a 2012 WR450 and plan on removing the pea shooter exhaust tip and adding the competition ECU. I'll be taking out the snorkel, but I'm entering the Corduroy Enduro, and it's known to have a few deep water/mud crossings and I figure the extra 1.5" height from the snorkel may be the difference between watering out or not.

• revelc

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:50 AM

How restrictive is the air box snorkel?

I just picked up a 2012 WR450 and plan on removing the pea shooter exhaust tip and adding the competition ECU. I'll be taking out the snorkel, but I'm entering the Corduroy Enduro, and it's known to have a few deep water/mud crossings and I figure the extra 1.5" height from the snorkel may be the difference between watering out or not.

I'd be willing to bet most of us removed the snorkel and restrictor at the same time. So it would be hard to say if the difference can be felt.

You can always leave them in and do the frogskin mod that someone else posted recently.

The throttle stop and ECU may very well be all you need to wake it up.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:07 AM

What is frogskin? I did a search and all I found was "frogzskin", which are used on snowmobiles to keep snow out of the air intake. No mention if it restricts water penetration like a gore vent, but I doubt it.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:45 AM

OK, see the post now. Don't know why the search feature didn't find it.

http://www.thumperta...box-mod-wr450f/

I can't find any information about this product, the Frogzskin website doesn't say anything. Most people on ATV forums think it won't stop fluid.

• mch

Posted September 02, 2014 - 12:24 PM

I left mine on for quite a while.  When I did get a round to removing it, I really didn't notice any difference.

• guru

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I have yet to get around to removing the snorkel and do not want for power with fmf powercore4 and comp ecu. Same reason some deep water crossings we in CA hope to have again someday.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:35 PM

It's not about power!

Man it's so hard to get this point across for some reason.

It's about THROTTLE REPSONSE. 

• mch

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:29 AM

It's not about power!

Maybe it made a difference on the non EFI versions, but I didn't notice any throttle response changes either.

• stevethe

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:47 AM

Maybe it made a difference on the non EFI versions, but I didn't notice any throttle response changes either.

The difference is not just doing one thing as opening the air box. It is the restrictive pipe, air box, throttle screw, comp ECU and remapping to take advantage of it.

Just to give some reference a stock carbed model WR puts out about 43 RWHP if you play your cards right a YZ'd WR puts out about 48 and above RWHP.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 03, 2014 - 09:00 AM

It's not about power!

Let me rephrase my question. Will having the snorkel in place affect the throttle response?

The only reason I bought the 2012 WR450 was for the electric start. My right knee was starting to bother me when I rode with slow or out of shape riders that stop all the time. My old bike is a 2000 WR400, it doesn't make as much power as the newer bikes, but I feel perfectly in tune with the bike because the ergonomics and suspension are setup good for me and the throttle response is predictable.

My goal with the new WR is be at the same level as my old WR400.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yes

Uncorking, re mapping and tps adjustment will give you much better throttle repsonse.

Word to the Stevethe

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Let me rephrase my question. Will having the snorkel in place affect the throttle response?

The only reason I bought the 2012 WR450 was for the electric start. My right knee was starting to bother me when I rode with slow or out of shape riders that stop all the time. My old bike is a 2000 WR400, it doesn't make as much power as the newer bikes, but I feel perfectly in tune with the bike because the ergonomics and suspension are setup good for me and the throttle response is predictable.

My goal with the new WR is be at the same level as my old WR400.

I think what everyone is trying to say is you want to those mods in concert.. as in, throttle stop, snorkel, exhaust, ECU/mapping all at once. Doing just one of those without the rest leaves the tuning out of whack, generally too lean.

You could just remove the throttle stop and call it good. The bike will run fine, it just won't make a ton of power nor have much bark/snap. But if you're going to run enduros, I don't think you'll be happy with it like that.

So if you're going to uncork it, do it right... remove the snorkel & throttle stop, get  the competition ECU and FMF or similar muffler (just removing the pea-shooter is a fry cry from an aftermarket muffler) and then remap the FI to suit your riding style/conditions. It's a whole different bike once you do.

• guru

Posted September 04, 2014 - 05:37 PM

All uncorking mods except snorkel and I do not want for THROTTLE REPSONSE ...nor THROTTLE RESPONSE. The real question remains...is the snorkel crucial or even noticeable?

• stevethe

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:59 PM

All uncorking mods except snorkel and I do not want for THROTTLE REPSONSE ...nor THROTTLE RESPONSE. The real question remains...is the snorkel crucial or even noticeable?

The guru is the Guinea pig. I would say yes but it's your bike and your in the drivers seat.

However if your going to flip flap about how great it is on your seats dyno butt it sure would be nice to yip yap with a dyno sheet in your hand.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 04, 2014 - 07:42 PM

How can we answer this, especially since you are not wanting to improve your throttle repsonse.....which is insane. The better it is, the better you can control you bike.

Meaning, you have the abiltiy to add power at any rpm or  any partial throttle opening, not restrictive to load......

The restrictors are there for three reasons:

- to quiet the intake noise

- to lean the intake to match the restricted exahaust and mapping

....and to limit backfires (double screen in airbox)

You have to change all three, intake, exhaust, mapping,  as a system to see a substantial improvement.

Hence, the GYTR kit.

• guru

Posted September 04, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Fellas, This need not be a pissing contest. It is a genuine question. We are all trying to get the most out of our bikes and are willing to talk about it.

Measured by dyno or seat feel;

In a lot of peoples uncorking experience, throttle stop swap=huge difference, ECU+maps = huge difference, aftermarket pipe = large to huge difference, CO level increase = moderate difference.

So who has felt or measured with a dyno, that the snorkel in or out made a difference? That's all. If you don't know cause you did it all together then fine, say I don't know.

If you know something share it. So far we've heard one member say he didn't really feel the difference when he finally got around to removing the snorkel.

• stevethe

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:43 AM

It's a little like farting out of a small straw. If it's a small fart your fine if it's a big fart you'll have a back up.

By the way most people that have common sense won't leave it stock for a dyno run. It would be a complete waste of time and money. The problem with not using common sense is your likely to listen to someone that doesn't use there bike to any where near it's potential.

So if your a putter you would be fine. All kinds of riders on this board and lot's of UN-substantiated seat of the butt dyno claims. Advice is free is as the wind and unfortunately sometimes wrong or misleading. In lieu of lots of nice people giving their advice you should weigh it with your common sense and do lots of testing and reading to educate yourself.

I can tell you the stock opened air cleaner system is good to around 60 RWHP if there is any way you can mod your bike to that level.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 05, 2014 - 07:10 AM

Well for me, the main reason I'd leave the snorkel in is to have a sligtly higher air intake. So I'm less likely to water out. I try to avoid deep water crossings, but that's not always possible.

Youtube Corduroy Enduro, you'll see what I mean.

Edited by Spiritwalker2222, September 05, 2014 - 07:12 AM.

• rtheil

Posted September 05, 2014 - 07:12 AM

If it's any indication, the dealer I bought my '12 WR450 from (Coyote Motorsports in Denver, CO) removes the snorkel and throttle screw before they even sell the bike. However, I don't believe that, by itself, makes much of a difference. I could believe that if you de-restricted the stock muffler AND removed the snorkel along with the throttle screw, it might make a noticeable difference. But I don't think that increasing intake flow while not increasing exhaust flow, will have much of an effect. I actually wish I had asked the dealer for the snorkel so I could choose whether or not to keep it in.

• stevethe

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Well for me, the main reason I'd leave the snorkel in is to have a sligtly higher air intake. So I'm less likely to water out. I try to avoid deep water crossings, but that's not always possible.

Youtube Corduroy Enduro, you'll see what I mean.

I hear you. I'm sure it will run ok especially down low. You should check on other riders bikes to find out if they are drowning out. You don't want to DNF for a wet air cleaner.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.