Header Coatings

8 replies to this topic
  • yamaha.dude

Posted January 24, 2002 - 07:51 PM

I know a lot of people here are replacing their headers and silencers with aftermarket stuff, but I was wondering had anyone bothered to have either the stock or an aftermarket header coated with a quality heat resistant ceramic finish?
I had the headers on my car done and was very happy with the finish, reduction of underhood temperatures, and damn if it don't seem to add a bit more power...

I would like to hear from anyone with this experience... otherwise, I will report back with my experiences when I get it done...

David

• yz454

Posted January 24, 2002 - 08:13 PM

Yes I did the pipe ,combustion chamber, valves and piston and it works.

• Maicoman

Posted January 25, 2002 - 06:07 AM

.dude
A regular of TT, " Intothumping" works at plating company in California,that was starting to develop a process for pipes. Try to get him on the 250 forum, or call Embee Plating @ 714-546-9842

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 25, 2002 - 08:14 AM

I used to race Superstock Flat bottom boats and we had the headers Ceramic coated by Jet hot. Made another 9 horse with just the coating on the headers. Ive been looking for a place somewhere in Orange County Ca. to have my Thunder Alley header and maybe part of the reverse cone ceramic coated just so I dont have to take it off and oil it after a wash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz454

Posted January 25, 2002 - 09:12 PM

You guys talk as if this something new,ceramics have been around for years. there are 2 places with in 20 miles of me .And i'm in oregon.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 28, 2002 - 08:34 AM

YZ454, its not that I/we havent heard of it, just havent done it to our scoots. Questions: How much did your jetting change when you did the piston and combustion chamber? I assume it immediatley went rich from previous settings? Did you notice any difference with header temp on the outside? Did you notice and differece in overall running temp of the engine? Im very curious

• yz454

Posted January 28, 2002 - 06:19 PM

I have done air cooled and water cooled engines.They do run a little rich they take longer to warm up, they run cooler and pull off the bottom harder.

• yamaha.dude

Posted January 29, 2002 - 11:53 AM

Just a follow up - I was sent the following in answer to my request...

"HiPerCoat Aluminium-Ceramic works very well on motorcycle exhausts that have good air flow around them. The heat generated will be, to a degree, retained inside the system thus improving gas flow. The heat that does soak through the pipes is dissipated very rapidly, so your system will be much cooler."

I was quoted AU$60 (US$27) to coat the inside and outside plus the heatshield... at that price, I will give it a go and let you know... and I can choose a colour as well... black, blue,silver, white, gold? Maybe a nice cherry red to remind me... :)

Decisions, decisions...

David

• intothumpin

Posted January 30, 2002 - 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
I used to race Superstock Flat bottom boats and we had the headers Ceramic coated by Jet hot. Made another 9 horse with just the coating on the headers. Ive been looking for a place somewhere in Orange County Ca. to have my Thunder Alley header and maybe part of the reverse cone ceramic coated just so I dont have to take it off and oil it after a wash.

Come see us @ Embee Performance Coatings. we are in Santa Ana, Ca. 714-546-6907 ask for Bruce or Jeff. We are also doing piston coatings and ceramics on Valves,& heads.
The stuff does work well on the stock header pipe. I run the stock head pipe w/ White Bros R-4 tail section on my 250F all coated. We did some testing of different coatings and found a hot combo. It boosted overall performance but found big increases down low. There are different coatings that are designed for a specific purposes, some act as a barrier and others are designed to conduct heat or transfer heat over the length of the coated surface. Using a combination of these can yield a very signficant change in performance. Stainless and Ti are both very poor heat conductors. Loss of heat in the exhaust system slows the gases down as they travel the length of the pipe. Keep the pipe hot and it increases the exhaust gas speed and helps scavange the burnt gases from the combustion chamber and increases the flow of fuel coming from the intake track. IT WORKS!!!

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: intothumpin ]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.