Returning from hiatus - Old FCR question

Sold my '06 SM long ago (FCR39, BB, Cams, MRD, etc) but found a deal too good to pass up on a '01 E.

It hasn't run in 4 years. I changed the oil, plug, and added gas, and it fired right up, but leaked gas everywhere.

IMG_20140901_102045772Medium_zps357e035d

IMG_20140901_102102505Medium_zps93422e7a

Maybe stuck float, I'll check it out... but anyone know what the deal is with this gold housing and yoshi throttle wheel? How do I remove the Coast Enrichener.. there's no vent on the intake bell?

Obviously an aftermarket throttle wheel and air intake bell with a wing in it.  Both are fine no worries there.  The CE right now is open to unfiltered air. To remove the CE you have 2 options,  Plug the remaining nipple on the carb and install a 100 pilot sir jet.  Or drill and add a nipple to the gold air bell and run a hose between the 2 nipples.  And of course remove and plug the nipple hole on the cylinder head.

I'm going to plug the cylinder head and the open tube. The fuel leak is from the bowl gasket. Float is fine.

It has a 165 main, 48 pilot, and the third jet in the bowl is a 65. Is that the "choke jet?"

Where is the air jet and does anyone have a picture? I need to buy a 100 at lunch today..

edit.. looks like it's under the intake bell on the left - really small jet.

Edited by txrider06

I'm going to plug the cylinder head----OK

and the open tube.----- The one for the CE? If you do that you will need a 100 pilot air jet to replace the 60 pilot air jet.

The fuel leak is from the bowl gasket.---OK.  So I assume you will replace the gasket?

Float is fine.-----OK

It has a 165 main, 48 pilot, and the third jet in the bowl is a 65. Is that the "choke jet?"------Yes. 65 is the starter jet. Main and pilot jets are probably bigger than you want.

Where is the air jet and does anyone have a picture? I need to buy a 100 at lunch today.------Remove the air horn.  Main air jet is in the center. Pilot air jet is on the left.  You might find one at a KTM store, Yamaha store or Harley store.

looks like it's under the intake bell on the left-----Yes,

really small jet.-----No.  More or less 1/4" round, 1/4" long.

Struck out at local shop and dealership on the air jet. I'll replace the gasket on the carb. Anybody have an extra they pulled from a FCR MX? Shoot me a PM...

Edit.. what if I dropped my 48 pilot to 38? So I'd be running 38/60. They had fuel jets in stock..https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/35774-update-on-my-emm-jetting/

Edit 2.. what if i take the 90 (assuming it fits) and put it where the 60 is.. anyway.. can't wait to get home and tear it off and see what's possible.

Edit 3.. more good info for future searchers - http://www.4strokes.com/tech/suzuki/drzadjet.asp

Edited by txrider06

Struck out at local shop and dealership on the air jet.-----Yea I figured.  Have to order.

what if I dropped my 48 pilot to 38? So I'd be running 38/60.  Not really the same as 45/100. As I recall a 38 jet needs a 70 air jet.

what if i take the 90 (assuming it fits)---It does not.  You might try drilling out the 60 air jet with a 1.0mm drill.

38 seems a little rich, fuel screw isn't reacting as it should, but it's running much much much better and I don't have unfiltered air flowing through.

Unfortunately, carb is still leaking (don't have gasket yet). Hopefully it's not the float valve/seat.

38 seems a little rich, fuel screw isn't reacting as it should, but it's running much much much better and I don't have unfiltered air flowing through.

Unfortunately, carb is still leaking (don't have gasket yet). Hopefully it's not the float valve/seat.

Don't forget to check the O-Ring under the seat. They often deteriorate allowing fuel to flow around the seat and overflow the carb.