XR600 Crankcase drain plug

5 replies to this topic
  • RocaFellaRanger

Posted January 28, 2004 - 06:09 PM

I went to change the oil on my XR600 today, and found that the crankcase drain bolt is stuck. I messed up the bolt head a little bit, but stopped before I completely ruined it. Anybody have any suggestions as getting it off so I can complete the oil change? If not, I guess it goes to ECC. :) Thanks.

• gfergtr74

Posted January 28, 2004 - 07:41 PM

Try applying some heat to the area around the bolt with a small butane torch.

• TimBrp

Posted January 29, 2004 - 04:49 AM

It's stuck? As in too tight and starting to strip? A trick I've used a number of times with button-head bolts and of the like is to spray some penetrant oil on it and file down to opposite sides(you'll need a new bolt) then once filed grab it tightly with some needlenose vicegrips and wallah! It comes right off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trasher

Posted January 29, 2004 - 11:27 AM

Take a punch and tap on it first before stripping it further. That might loosen it up for you

• RocaFellaRanger

Posted January 29, 2004 - 12:18 PM

The torch finally did the trick-what a pain. Now I need to get a new drain bolt.

• Trasher

Posted January 29, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Great! At least you finally removed it

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.