Mapping change for harder hit down low

126 replies to this topic
  • Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:44 PM

I've only had my 2013 WR450F for about 3 months, coming off a KX450F.  I rode it with the Comp ECU, but made no changes for the first 2.5 months.

I just got my FI Diagnostic tool and finally got around to changing the CO level (local dealerships had no clue) and playing with the mapping.  It DOES make a big difference.  I was running pretty hot most of the time and found that it was a little twitchy at low RPM, causing me to have to be way more clutch attentive.  Now that I've gone to a different map, its not as twitchy and has a nice mid hit which I like.

It may not be everyones cup of tea, but the mapping changes can make significant differences in the bike.  Is it cheap?  Not really.  You're looking at about $300 for the comp ecu and the power tuner and my FI tool ended up being about $150.  But for me, the ability to change so quickly depending where and what I am riding on is worth it to me.

Keep the two wheels facing downward....

Juman,  which map changes, FI diagnostic and GYTR power tuner do you have that reduced the bikes twitchyness at lower rpms? I'm playing around with it now and any advice is appreciated.

• Juman5

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:01 AM

What I did was pretty standard, I think.  CO level set to 8.  I went with one of VLXJim's maps which was richer throughout the fuel side and the timing a little retarded in the upper rpm ranges.  I'm on the road, so don't have access to my actual settings on the power tuner.

I'm riding on the west coast, usually been sea level and 1500ft.  I'll be taking it up to Squamish soon and see how it works out at higher altitude.

• Nuklhed

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:29 AM

In playing with my maps, I also noticed another little something that affected how my bike felt off-idle.  It's the cable adjustment for the throttle cable. 

The shop/factory set it at a certain amount of slack.  It bothered me, so I adjusted it until there was absolutely no slack.  It gave me back that twitchy feeling coming off-idle, and made me think either the bike wasn't running properly, or I was doing something wrong.

I set the slack back in, and believe it or not, the change from idle to off-idle in the throttle position is a bit smoother. 

• cracker please

Posted September 14, 2014 - 08:53 AM

I was checking out the monitor mode on the GYTR tuner.  It said 29 in/hg.  It didn't move at all when I revved it up.  I didn't test it under load but I'm guessing it wouldn't move.  Probably just takes that one pressure reading at start up like you said, Krannie.  Maybe I should check it while engine braking down a hill, just for shits and gigs.

Edited by cracker please, September 14, 2014 - 08:56 AM.

• bradgross71

Posted September 14, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Switched to the fmf map today and loved it. I got 54.3 miles out of a tank of gas, is that reasonable?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Probably just takes that one pressure reading at start up like you said, Krannie.

Absolutely wrong.  The ECU continually monitors manifold pressure.  It doesn't change reving up until you put a load on the engine, ie put it in gear and move.  Until then the manifold pressure is that high because the throttle body is restricting so much.

FWIW, Krannie doesn't have a 2012+.  There is a ton of mis information on this board.  You have to be careful what you believe.  Can't believe some of the stuff that gets said on this forum.   You'd think it was 1985 and EFI was a new thing.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 14, 2014 - 04:37 PM.

• revelc

Posted September 14, 2014 - 04:41 PM

There is a ton of mis information on this board. You have to be careful.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410741523.485394.jpg

Yeah like your butt dyno testing being passed off as scientific fact.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

I was checking out the monitor mode on the GYTR tuner. It said 29 in/hg. It didn't move at all when I revved it up. I didn't test it under load but I'm guessing it wouldn't move. Probably just takes that one pressure reading at start up like you said, Krannie. Maybe I should check it while engine braking down a hill, just for shits and gigs.

Does it monitor manifold or ambient pressure?

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 14, 2014 - 04:48 PM

Switched to the fmf map today and loved it. I got 54.3 miles out of a tank of gas, is that reasonable?

I am assuming you have the stock tank?

I would actually like to get better than this, say  35 mpg.   To me at 54.3 miles per tank, that's worse than my 2T. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2014 - 04:55 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410741523.485394.jpg

Yeah like your butt dyno testing being passed off as scientific fact.

This coming from the guy who relies on his wife as to how his bike sounds.

I don't have a DB meter to verify my wife's claims though about hearing me pull up to the house.

Yeah, like that is scientific !  LOL.

• cracker please

Posted September 14, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Does it monitor manifold or ambient pressure?

It was just giving me the ambient pressure.  I'm not sure exactly where the sensor is.  I think maybe there's a hose connecting it to the throttle body.  When it's light out, maybe I'll play with the tuner some more, try to look at it while I'm riding and see if I can get the value to change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2014 - 05:25 PM

It was just giving me the ambient pressure.  I'm not sure exactly where the sensor is.  I think maybe there's a hose connecting it to the throttle body.  When it's light out, maybe I'll play with the tuner some more, try to look at it while I'm riding and see if I can get the value to change.

Look at it while cranking the engine over to start.  Its one of the troubleshooting procedures from the manual.   If it doesn't fluctuate, the sensor is defective.

• revelc

Posted September 14, 2014 - 05:27 PM

This coming from the guy who relies on his wife as to how his bike sounds.

Yeah, like that is scientific ! LOL.

The difference between my post regarding exhaust and yours about dropping weight and adding cams is that I don't pass off opinion as fact.

You on the other hand try to pass yourself off as ground breaking engineer whose going to change the WR450F with your shade tree innovation.

Keep on. It's fun to watch you discredit yourself.

I almost fell off my couch laughing when you said you removed the rear plastics. I even forgot that my bike was stolen for a few minutes. I appreciate it, really.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2014 - 05:35 PM

I almost fell off my couch laughing when you said you removed the rear plastics. I even forgot that my bike was stolen for a few minutes. I appreciate it, really.

Cheapest and easiest 1.3 pound weight loss on the bike.   Its high up weight too.  Are you one of the guys that thinks the WR450F is too light ?  I though people were saying its too heavy for woods riding ??? 

Isn't that why GP1K is using his for DS work ?  Or was it because the WR had too much power ?   Because his 255 pound 250F is perfect.   Except he is now buying a 350XCF.  All 52 HP of it.  After telling me that there was no way I needed any more power from my WR.  LOL !  Hypocrite !  So he is now on his 3rd bike, when he could have used his WR all along if he had lightened it and followed my lead.  Idiot.  Bike dealers must love him.  Best is his advice about not modding a bike, but adapting to it as it is.   But in his case, it isn't adapting to ride it, its buy another one !!!!!  The truth hurts !  Maybe if he had some mechanical skills he wouldn't be buying a new bike every year.  And I guess that 250F doesn't have enough power after all.   And why isn't he getting one of his beloved CR230Fs, that he can beat all of us on ?  Hmmmm....  maybe he should walk his talk for once. 

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 14, 2014 - 05:35 PM.

• revelc

Posted September 14, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Cheapest and easiest 1.3 pound weight loss on the bike. Its high up weight too. Are you one of the guys that thinks the WR450F is too light ? I though people were saying its too heavy for woods riding ???

Isn't that why GP1K is using his for DS work ? Or was it because the WR had too much power ? Because his 255 pound 250F is perfect. Except he is now buying a 350XCF. All 52 HP of it. After telling me that there was no way I needed any more power from my WR. LOL ! Hypocrite ! So he is now on his 3rd bike, when he could have used his WR all along if he had lightened it and followed my lead. Idiot. Bike dealers must love him. Best is his advice about not modding a bike, but adapting to it as it is. But in his case, it isn't adapting to ride it, its buy another one !!!!! The truth hurts ! Maybe if he had some mechanical skills he wouldn't be buying a new bike every year. And I guess that 250F doesn't have enough power after all. And why isn't he getting one of his beloved CR230Fs, that he can beat all of us on ? Hmmmm.... maybe he should walk his talk for once.

Deflection much?
I am talking to you Pony Boy.

Go buy a 1,000cc trials bike and STFU.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Edited by revelc, September 14, 2014 - 06:00 PM.

• revelc

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Dbl

Edited by revelc, September 14, 2014 - 06:02 PM.

• avlisj

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:04 PM

I am assuming you have the stock tank?

I would actually like to get better than this, say 35 mpg. To me at 54.3 miles per tank, that's worse than my 2T.

That's what happens when add all those positives on the fuel side of the map.

I've gotten 35mph hard trail ridding (dare I say tight single track) and 41 on dual sport rides with all 0s
With a powercore muffler

Once I get a tuner I plan put a bunch of negatives and stretch that mileage out

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Deflection much?
I am talking to you Pony Boy.

Sorry, no deflection.   You called me on removing plastic and justified it.  About as straight as it gets.  

And then I went on to point out the hypocrisy for calling me on reducing weight on a 450 4T.   But maybe that was over your head ?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:12 PM

That's what happens when add all those positives on the fuel side of the map.

OMG !  You can't say things like that here !  You'll hurt the gods that be.  Yes you can richen up the map to a really rich state that will make more power.  But it has side effects !  Don't tell anyone.   Ditto with running lean, let alone messing around with a whole bunch of timing changes.  My favorite is the "woods tune" that retards the timing and makes the WR leaner yet.

I've gotten 35mph hard trail ridding (dare I say tight single track) and 41 on dual sport rides with all 0s
With a powercore muffler

OMG !  All zeros with an aftermarket muffler !   The gods say it can't be done !  You'll burn a hole in the piston and melt your stator and heavens to murgatroyd, the whole world will come to an end !

Luckily WR's have a good fuel injection system that attempts to keep things at a decent A/F ratio (idle aside) even when mods are done.   I'm running a Powercore and zeros myself.   It works pretty well.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 14, 2014 - 08:18 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Cheapest and easiest 1.3 pound weight loss on the bike.   Its high up weight too. 

What plastics are you running on the back?  Did you eliminate the coolant catch tank?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:48 PM

What plastics are you running on the back?  Did you eliminate the coolant catch tank?

Just a fender.  The 2 rear number plates with bolts were 1.3 pounds.   The air box is still covered on the sides, the muffler, not so much.  Its like an 80s retro bike now in that regard.   Here is another bonus... when you ride in mud the number plates don't collect a bunch.

I removed the catch tank a long time ago.  See my WR weight loss thread for details.

Stock calculated weight is 237.5 pounds with no fuel, about 250 pounds with fuel.

Stock weight with swaps (heavier tires, springs, etc, stuff I would be doing to any bike) is 241 pounds, no fuel, about 255 pounds with fuel.

For comparison, the 250cc 4 stroke enduro bikes in this comparison (http://www.motorcycl...o-Shootout.aspx) ranged from 251 pounds for the CRF to 256 pounds for the Husaberg.  And most of them didn't have a skid plate.  Notice how much of the muffler that the number plates on these bikes cover.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 14, 2014 - 07:50 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.