2010 yz450f oil not showing in glass

5 replies to this topic
  • Treid19

Posted August 30, 2014 - 11:05 AM

I recently had my bike rebuilt. I got a new crankshaft, high compression piston, valves and springs, and the head got shaved, ported, and polished. I put in 1 quart of oil in the bike. Started it up ran fine oil showed up in the glass after letting it run. About a week later it stopped showing. Changed oil and oil filter, still not showing. I checked the oil pressure screw on the head and no oil was pumping out. Bought a new oil pump, and installed it. Started the bike up and oil started showing in the glass again. After 30 minutes of riding it stopped showing. Changed oil and filter again. Put 1qt back in it as always and it's still not showing in the glass. I still have oil pumping to the oil pressure dress though.

• Bulldog5150

Posted August 30, 2014 - 12:22 PM

Your 450 only takes 1 quart of oil?

• Treid19

Posted August 30, 2014 - 12:32 PM

Your 450 only takes 1 quart of oil?

Owner's manual says 1.2qts. But I have always use 1qt. And it shows in the oil glass perfectly fine. If I plan doing a lot of road riding and doing wheelies I usually put 1.2 or 1.3.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted August 30, 2014 - 05:31 PM

nothing wrong here.  Start your bike and shut it off after 3 minutes. Look at the sight glass.  If there is oil, your good.  After some time, the tank drains its oil back into the lower part of the engine. that's why the sight glass is so high. You are using the oil tank as the sight glass.  Check the manual.

• Treid19

Posted August 30, 2014 - 05:34 PM

nothing wrong here.  Start your bike and shut it off after 3 minutes. Look at the sight glass.  If there is oil, your good.  After some time, the tank drains its oil back into the lower part of the engine. that's why the sight glass is so high. You are using the oil tank as the sight glass.  Check the manual.

• Treid19

Posted August 30, 2014 - 05:37 PM

It doesn't show at all. I know that it has to be started and ran at idle for 1 to 3 minutes. It was 1.2qt of oil in the bike right now.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.