Should I ? 08 450R for a 12 YZ450

4 replies to this topic
  • 2coldnpagosa

Posted August 29, 2014 - 10:52 AM

My son decided to sell his bike for a SxS...there goes my riding partner! He's offered his YZ to me as an "upgrade" to my 08 CRF450R with nice off-road mods and that Honda reliability. It does have 166 easy, no rev limiter hours though. Should I go White, go EFI and go a bit heavier or stay Red? A few opinions for this Vet 50 off-road rider/hare scramble racer is warranted. Thanks!

• Monk

Posted August 29, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Stay Red....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2014 - 11:51 AM

My son decided to sell his bike for a SxS...there goes my riding partner! He's offered his YZ to me as an "upgrade" to my 08 CRF450R with nice off-road mods and that Honda reliability. It does have 166 easy, no rev limiter hours though. Should I go White, go EFI and go a bit heavier or stay Red? A few opinions for this Vet 50 off-road rider/hare scramble racer is warranted. Thanks!

That what? :lol:

Ride it. If you like it, trade him. 

• YamaLink

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Stay red.

• 2coldnpagosa

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:08 AM

The verdict is in...the 450R remains my race bike of choice. Why? I did about a 40 mile single track loop over the weekend on the YZ. As I already knew, the suspension was awesome! The negatives though outweighed the boingers that being: air intake sound (I had heard it before but not dealt with it for a 2hr ride) and the transition from sitting to standing. I always heard the Yamaha's were not for tall folk and this played out. Also the front brakes suck worse than my Honda's. The EFI was nice but my carb'd bike starts with less kicks. So 'll keep the Honda til some other bike tempts me. :jawdrop:  

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.