04 WR450 clutch issue

4 replies to this topic
  • qposner

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:01 PM

I recently purchased an 04 WR450. It was fine on the test ride and on my local trail. However, recently if I shut it off in gear, the clutch will not disengage so it will start with the clutch in in 1st. Also, if I shut it off in neutral, when I restart later after it cools, the clutch will not disengage and allow it to click into 1st. It just dumps into first and kills the motor. At first I thought the clutch cable needed adjustment, but it is fine with the appropriate amount of play. Is it possible that the clutch plates are sticking? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Quinn

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:48 PM

There are seveal ongoing posts on this subject already

The WR clutch is not the greatest, and with just a little wear on it, it will drag.

It is normal, but it requires a replacement of all plates, and possibly a basket notch removal 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qposner

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:08 AM

There are seveal ongoing posts on this subject already

The WR clutch is not the greatest, and with just a little wear on it, it will drag.

It is normal, but it requires a replacement of all plates, and possibly a basket notch removal 

Yeah, I was reading through those. Just wasnt sure if my issue was exactly the same. Sounds like it is. Ill check out the clutch. Thanks!

• stevethe

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:13 AM

Look for a blued metal disc or two and replace.

• ThumpMe

Posted August 30, 2014 - 10:23 AM

I have been posting quite a bit about my '03 and the clutch issues I have been going through all Summer on another thread on this site.

When I was inside the clutch a few times back I noticed the 3-4 outermost clutch plates had a sort of weird brown color to them It was not like a burned or heat discoloring. It covered everything, steel, fiber, grooves, and even edges. Nothing on the other plates, just those outermost ones. The oil on them even felt sort of weird like the oil had gotten old or used as it even felt sort of thick or sticky but just  on those 3-4 plates.

This was about the time I realized those plates have no oil supply hole under them I added a few.

I think what little oil that does make it out to those plates "sticks" around as there is not a good enough flow through the clutch plates and maybe this could be causing or adding to your issue. 

Just a thought.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.