Shifter seal is destroyed, need help because I suck

6 replies to this topic
  • Sheridan450F

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:25 PM

So, my bike started leaking pretty bad during practice and my buddy said it could be the shifter seal. I saw some videos of people just popping theres out with a scribe or flathead screwdriver, so I tried. 

And then I royally screwed it up. Bad. 

This seal does not want to move at all. I chewed everything up pretty nasty trying to pry it out and it's not working. 

Any other ways other than the scribe/screwdriver trick?

Here's a pic to churn your stomachs. Oh yeah and my race series starts this next weekend so im screwed. !!!! I'm going to see what the shop can do tomorrow. 

IMG_20140828_190810_184.jpg

• mikedabike

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:32 PM

No big just replace the seal.  If you can not get it out you may have to pull the shaft out the opposite side of the engine.  Haven't done one in a while but it is not a big deal.  You have to pull the right side cover off to get to it.  Shouldn't take more than an hour tops.  Just follow the service manual.

• Navaho6

Posted August 29, 2014 - 02:52 AM

You could try putting two screws into the seal (close together) and then pulling on them with pliers.  Or try a hooked pick - http://www.harborfre...e-set-1816.html

http://www.harborfre...-set-66836.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:35 AM

Drain the oil, drain the coolant, remove the right side crankcase cover, remove the shift shaft.  The seal will pop right out and you won't gouge up the shaft in the process.

• Sheridan450F

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:05 AM

Drain the oil, drain the coolant, remove the right side crankcase cover, remove the shift shaft.  The seal will pop right out and you won't gouge up the shaft in the process.

Does that require the removal of the clutch basket too?

I finally got it out this morning after picking at it with my pick a little more. I really had to apply a lot of force to get it to move. You can see I gouged my housing a bit from when it slipped a few times but the new seal is in and appears to be working. I won't know for sure until i go ride it hard at the track again. You can see how bad the seal was getting tore up from the pick trying to remove it. 

IMG_20140829_081835_746.jpg

IMG_20140829_081800_432.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Does that require the removal of the clutch basket too?

Not strictly, but it makes things a little simpler.

• fdme

Posted August 29, 2014 - 12:21 PM

Man it looks like you may have gouged it pretty good there. For peace of mind you might wanna try to clean the sealing surface with some emory cloth and maybe put some yamabond or something similar on there to make sure it really seals well. In my experience seals and things like that will almost always start leaking again if the surface they are sealing against isnt very smooth.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.