Fire hazard?

15 replies to this topic
  • Cyclemenace

Posted August 27, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hey all. New to this site but old hat in the riding world. 

I just bought a new 2012 WR450F from old dealer stock. Great machine but I've started down the road to making it better. The throttle screw is now gone and I'm looking at posts about removing the baffle from the muffler. The important question for me is, does that removal add to potential fire risk from failure to trap sparks? I ride in very heavily forested areas and fire is a real concern. 

Does anyone know?

Thank you!

:ride:

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted August 27, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I believe you remove the pee shooter, but leave the spark arrester in. I just picked up a 2012 as well and will be doing this shortly.

• beezer

Posted August 27, 2014 - 01:39 PM

I wonder if a fire has ever been started by a spark coming out of a motorcycle exhaust.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 27, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Fvck yes it has.

• revelc

Posted August 27, 2014 - 01:51 PM

I just picked up a leftover 12 myself last month. Jeesh, I wonder how many of these things have been laying around.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• cracker please

Posted August 27, 2014 - 02:03 PM

I saw a new 11 a few months ago.  It might still be there.  He had two new 09s about a year ago.

• revelc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:06 AM

I saw a new 11 a few months ago. It might still be there. He had two new 09s about a year ago.

I initially found a new 07 before I got the 12 for only $500 more.

OP keep the spark can in and if you spill on the right side be sure use caution when uprighting it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409231157.216946.jpg
My bike burnt up a recently when I fell and the gas cap leaked onto the exhaust when I stood it up.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• underground-mpyre

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:06 AM

Man Revel, this has cemented the reasoning to buy full insurance on my bike. That is crazy that torched everything on it. Sorry for your loss.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mebgardner

Posted August 28, 2014 - 11:41 AM

I initially found a new 07 before I got the 12 for only $500 more.

OP keep the spark can in and if you spill on the right side be sure use caution when uprighting it. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409231157.216946.jpg
My bike burnt up a recently when I fell and the gas cap leaked onto the exhaust when I stood it up.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

What caused the spark to start the flame?

• beezer

Posted August 28, 2014 - 11:52 AM

Fvck yes it has.

Link?

• revelc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 11:59 AM

What caused the spark to start the flame?

I don't know. I fell over earlier that day and blew a fuse. After the tip over the display wouldn't work and the bike wouldn't run. I took it out after I replaced the fuse and tipped over on my track in the backyard. When I came back to stand it up I noticed the cap was seeping fuel so I stood it up. As it came up a I heard a poof and it caught on fire. I dropped it and ran back for help. By the time I got there with the extinguishers the tank was shooting a constant flame out and it wouldn't go out. We eventually had to stop because the tank was going to blow. When it did the rest of the bike was gone in a matter of minutes.

I don't know if it had a short or it was the fuel igniting on the exhaust.

I gave progressive a call and I had a new bike in less than two weeks. :ride:

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• woods-rider

Posted August 28, 2014 - 12:01 PM

The baffle and spark arrestor are two completely separate parts on the stock muffler. You can remove the baffle and even another reducer in the exhaust and leave the spark arrestor completely intact.

• revelc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Link?

I'm sure if anyone started a massive fire with an OHV they wouldn't confess and take that responsibility.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• underground-mpyre

Posted August 28, 2014 - 12:31 PM

I could easily see the header being hot enough to lite the dripping fuel for sure.

Full coverage insurance here I come!

• mebgardner

Posted August 29, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, it's an interesting story, got my attention.

Most of my buddies, I tell'em their bike is dripping fuel during a tip over, they just yawn, no big deal.

I'm gona think about this pretty carefully now...

• revelc

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, it's an interesting story, got my attention.

Most of my buddies, I tell'em their bike is dripping fuel during a tip over, they just yawn, no big deal.

I'm gona think about this pretty carefully now...

I recently rode with a Redditor and his YZ250F was leaking fuel WHEN IT WAS SITTING AND IDLING as well as when he was moving. It freaked me out and I pointed it out but he shrugged and kept riding. I was doing my best not to overreact and just hauled ass and made sure he was behind me. Ha

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

Edited by revelc, August 29, 2014 - 05:36 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.