YZ 450 2014 LOOSE FRONT END

Yamaha YZ450F 2014 Suspension

141 replies to this topic
  • Envisage

Posted November 04, 2014 - 04:40 AM

Anyone got any stats on what spring rates to use Vs rider weights ?

YZ 450 2014 model

• YzCas

Posted November 04, 2014 - 05:11 AM

Isn't it in the manual.

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2014 - 07:12 AM

Isn't it in the manual.

No.  The alternate springs are listed, but no reference to rider weight.

http://www.mx-tech.com/

http://racetech.com/index.aspx

• Envisage

Posted November 06, 2014 - 02:39 AM

I first changed the tire and played with air pressure 12 1/2 lbs best, then X-Trig clamps with new bars in the middle holes and offset forward, had to play with fork setting again. Next was the Dr D rad. Lowering kit. Loved the bike at this point but, was at the end of my ridding season! Over the summer added Cycra plastics with JGR graphics and the Dr D motor mount relocation kit along with 2015 motor mounts. The bike is so much better, point and shoot now it's like turning on rails, flat or in a burm.
If your bike is stock start with the plastics and put the bars in the forward holes, then tires and then maybe next the clamp. After that the Dr D stuff. The plastics let you ride way further forward then with the stock plastic!

Whats different about the cycra plastics over the normal aft market ones ?, see cycra's about double the price ?

Also why'd you use the 2015 motor mounts, isnt yrs a 2014 model ?

• Envisage

Posted November 06, 2014 - 03:41 AM

Did you ever say how much you weigh?  If so I didn't see it. 

The bikes seem to be set up for heavier riders that in the past and if you weigh less than 190 LBS you may need to move to softer springs.  I am currently 185 so I went to the next softer fork springs  and added 10cc of oil.  The front end is much plusher and still never bottoms. 

As far as I'm concerned I have my bike tuned perfectly without revalving but I did need to change springs to get perfection.

--KT--

Did you end up installing .48's ? according to race tech spring calculator @190 lbs, this is the correct spring for our weight . Why'd you go with the extra 10cc of oil too ?

• MXKyle

Posted November 06, 2014 - 05:07 AM

Did you end up installing .48's ? according to race tech spring calculator @190 lbs, this is the correct spring for our weight . Why'd you go with the extra 10cc of oil too ?

Yes, I did change to the .48 springs.  I used OEM so that I wouldn't have to be concerned with quality or length.  I am really happy with the handling now. 

As to why I added oil... we have some rather large jumps on our local tracks and I have over-jumped all of them from time to time.  When I went to lighter springs I put a tie wrap around the fork tube and found that I was close to bottoming limit every time I went out.  I added a little oil to give a little more resistance at the max stroke.  Now I rarely get closer than a half inch from full stroke.  This gives a plusher stroke without bottoming. 

I am the only Yamaha guy among all my riding buddies but they each admit my suspension makes theirs feel harsh.  While not everyone likes the way I set up the power delivery for monster hit they all like the way my bike handles.

--KT--

• Envisage

Posted November 06, 2014 - 05:23 AM

Yes, I did change to the .48 springs.  I used OEM so that I wouldn't have to be concerned with quality or length.  I am really happy with the handling now. 

As to why I added oil... we have some rather large jumps on our local tracks and I have over-jumped all of them from time to time.  When I went to lighter springs I put a tie wrap around the fork tube and found that I was close to bottoming limit every time I went out.  I added a little oil to give a little more resistance at the max stroke.  Now I rarely get closer than a half inch from full stroke.  This gives a plusher stroke without bottoming. 

I am the only Yamaha guy among all my riding buddies but they each admit my suspension makes theirs feel harsh.  While not everyone likes the way I set up the power delivery for monster hit they all like the way my bike handles.

--KT--

OK, cool so thats 10cc above what the standard level is ?

I have some .48's out of my CRF 2011, anyone know if they;ll fit the YZ ?

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Also why'd you use the 2015 motor mounts, isnt yrs a 2014 model ?

The '14 front mount plates are thick aluminum. The '15 are steel, and are thinner and slightly more flexible.  It's fine chassis tuning, intended to add a small amount of additional flex low in the frame.  Some say they can tell there's an improvement to tracking through corners.

• savagex

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:14 PM

Motor mounts and the long bolt that goes through the engine cases.  The other 4 can be reused.

Just to be clear, are the parts needed for the '15 motor mounts 

22x2, 24,28,29?

Do you guys think it made a difference?

• K-JA

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:01 AM

rode my yz450f 2014 this weekend for the first time. noticed the front end wiggle. didnt really bother because all bikes wiggle in wet bottomless sand. but i started with forks 4mm up and the front washed out in some corners.

so i drop the forks flush with the outertube and it behaved better everywhere. its a certain threshold of speed the wiggle ends.

I had 103 mm race sag. probably going to keep this setup for sand and on harder terrain make it 2mm up in the triple clamps!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CZRoger

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:40 AM

Went to race my '14 again over the weekend, and currently it is very good. No push or handling quirks.

It has:

M403/404's

Suspension re-valve (couldn't get past some of the mid-stroke harshness in the front)

Radiator lowering kit (helps I guess, but can't say it is worth it)

'15 Motor mounts (most current change, another I am up in the air about, but my bike has never felt better than this past weekend)

Tried the lowering link, didn't like it much with the stock suspension. Removed at re-valve.

ymmv

• savagex

Posted November 18, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Picture didnt work the first time.

Image.gif

22x2, 24,28,29?

• JonDirt

Posted November 18, 2014 - 12:34 PM

22x2, 24,28,29?

I'm wondering about which parts to order as well. Which bolts/nuts need to be ordered?

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2014 - 01:11 PM

I'm wondering about which parts to order as well. Which bolts/nuts need to be ordered?

Read the thread: http://www.thumperta...5#entry11957429

• blarf

Posted November 20, 2014 - 01:50 AM

same here, I'd like to know what part numbers for the motor mounts we talking about here

• Envisage

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:03 PM

I experimented with my rebound stacks extensively lately and found out what causes that loose sensation in sand and also harsh feeling.   Too slow initial rebound and too fast rebound deeper in the stroke. 

Is this what you are experiencing:

• If you run the fork rebound clicker in, the bike behaves mid-exit of corners and doesnt get swappy, but it causes the bike to feel loose on the entrance to corners and push?
  • Conversely if you run the rebound clicker out, the bike tracks into corners well but come mid corner it wants to unload and get huckabuck and gets nervous on faster sandy sections?

So you've had yr suspension tuner alter the shim stacks & its better ?

Am thinking then they way theyre set up when the bike is stock, is to be slow in the first half, & fast in the second ?

Ive had my forks re valved now the try & take some of that harshness out of the 2nd part of the stroke.I run my rebound at 8/9 & comp at 7, (from all way in back out) have had to run at these otherwise feel its to harsh & too fast

YZ 450 2014 Model riding ROUGH sand tracks.Standard 49's, 360 cc oil, 2-3 tube height

• JS264

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:33 PM

So you've had yr suspension tuner alter the shim stacks & its better ?

Am thinking then they way theyre set up when the bike is stock, is to be slow in the first half, & fast in the second ?

Ive had my forks re valved now the try & take some of that harshness out of the 2nd part of the stroke.I run my rebound at 8/9 & comp at 7, (from all way in back out) have had to run at these otherwise feel its to harsh & too fast

YZ 450 2014 Model riding ROUGH sand tracks.Standard 49's, 360 cc oil, 2-3 tube height

I tune my own suspension as well as a handful of local riders.

Your understanding of the stock rebound stack is backwards. Rebound increases progressively as return speeds increase.

Imo most likely your oil height is too high and low speed damping too light causing your harshness. Valve it stiffer and run the oil height around 325-330cc.

• GHILL28

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:25 AM

JS what's your fork setup at now?  Thinking I want to go a tiny bit stiffer on fork valving.  I find a lot more control running C in to about 4, but prefer the comfort of it out around 10 or 12.

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I find a lot more control running C in to about 4, but prefer the comfort of it out around 10 or 12.

If you find that to be true, you might want to loosen the rebound a little.  If the fork can't recover quickly enough from a quick, short stroke, ground contact, and therefore control, can be affected.

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2015 - 10:11 AM

I tune my own suspension as well as a handful of local riders.

Your understanding of the stock rebound stack is backwards. Rebound increases progressively as return speeds increase.

Imo most likely your oil height is too high and low speed damping too light causing your harshness. Valve it stiffer and run the oil height around 325-330cc.

Something to bear in mind when thinking about rebound is that whereas compression force is essentially an unlimited function of the speed of impact, rebound speeds will reach a limit when they balance with rebound damping resistance and spring force.  There will never be any greater force on the rebound stack than the springs can deliver, while the compression force can be increased more or less at will by hitting the obstacle harder. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.