YZ 450 2014 LOOSE FRONT END

Yamaha YZ450F 2014 Suspension

141 replies to this topic
  • CZRoger

Posted September 05, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Provalve is in Huntington Beach. Costs vary depending on what your bike needs/personal preference, valving, oil, spring change etc.

If you're happy with stock, stick with it. I ran stock suspension with only spring changes for years.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 05, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Give an update on how you like your new valved suspension!

• forgotmyusername

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Provalve is in Huntington Beach. Costs vary depending on what your bike needs/personal preference, valving, oil, spring change etc.

If you're happy with stock, stick with it. I ran stock suspension with only spring changes for years.

Did they move from Costa Mesa? It's been a long time but nick worked wonders on my supermoto suspension. Revalved/resprung ..it was a totally different bike and much easier to ride fast at Grange.

Also, keep in mind the old saying: the best you know is the best you've ridden.

Edited by forgotmyusername, September 05, 2014 - 05:54 PM.

• billygildark5007

Posted September 05, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Ok guys, I have an 11 that has the "light front end" feeling that every newer yz450 has. I did the regulars, suspension, engine relocation kit (probably the best mod to date) lowering link, lowered radiators, countless rear sag/fork height trials to make my bike where it was most comfortable.
Then I came up with this idea...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409972127.828936.jpg

Homemade Front end wheel weights! I know it's not calibrated and it's unsuspended weight but it's not even 3/4 of a pound.
I took bar end weights from the streetbike and made them. The right fork is still the compression fiting with a section of radiator hose over the expanding rubber part of the nut.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409972930.243478.jpg Talk1409972930.243478.jp]
The cool part is this acts like a handle when pulling the axle.
The left fork lucky the axle had threads (I assume for a brake guard, but you could tap/weld/heli-coil if needed) so I used a countersunk allen and cut the base of the weight off.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409973389.732575.jpg Talk1409973389.732575.jpg]
I do believe that this mod did help my front end bite better everwhere! I'm gonna keep running it!!! A lot of time I'm front end high on a lot of jumps anyway. This seemed to help that to.
Try at your own risk! This is my own untested except for me idea. There could be hundreds of variations.
Post a pic of you do make one. I'd love to see!

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Increasing unsprung weight is not a particularly good approach to the matter. 

• JS264

Posted September 07, 2014 - 04:47 PM

:smashpc: :facepalm:

• YZPaGuy

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I myself tried moving my forks up 4mm made the front end too snappy in corner so I went back to flush . 110 sag. For me I have plenty of front end grip stock never had a washout from the front it grips like crazy I point and shoot and it goes were I put it I just swing the rear around. Its quite nice actually!

It blows me away when I hear ppl say they have no front end grip because I have the opposite sensation maybe I'm just throttle happy lol

I don't have direct experience with the 14, but generally speaking about suspension, a 4mm move is pretty significant. Especially since it completely changed the handling characteristics. Then you went right back to stock without trying 1, 2, or 3 MM. I would def revisit that. Also, sag setting of 110 MM is just a baseline. You can adjust your sag up and down a few MM to change the handling of the bike also. 

Lastly, since you are coming back from a few years off the bike, rider position is more likely the problem. Weighting the outside peg on corners will give the rear tire allot more traction.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 07, 2014 - 06:35 PM

All good pointers! I'll try 2 mm on the forks and see what happens. I try to be conscience of my technique while I ride but sometimes I just have too much fun lol I'll pay more attention to weighting the outside peg and see if it helps .how much do you weight it? Like full body weight with your ass off the seat? Or just apply pressure?

• Envisage

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:18 PM

The rebound damping has an effect on the stability and the cornering characteristics of the motorcycle.

As you enter a turn, the forks compress.  As it settles into the turn, the speed at which the forks rebound is what pushes your front wheel into the ground. If the forks rebound too quickly, the energy will be used up and the bike will drift wide, or wash. If the rebound is too slow, the bike will tend more toward tucking under and turn too soon to the inside. Experiment with 5-6 click changes to exaggerate the effect, then dial in using smaller increments.

The wheel should return to the ground quickly yet not deflect off berms or bounce off jumps.

To true & i have tried this with no real noticeable difference. The big "unknown" in this debate is rider position in the corner. We all go about it differently. I think if you are "over the front" on this bike, (or any bike) you WONT have problems with the front end pushing (running wide) or front wheel washouts. For me that doesnt feel natural & im going to give the DR D engine reposition kit a go. Its been well documented that since the reward slanted motor was introduced one of the down sides was taking weight from the front end. I heard it was one of the best one off fixes in 12/13 for this bike & numerous race teams opted for it. I dont know that anything is different for the 2014 model ? So if like me being over the front in corners feels un natural, it would seem like a logical next step. A few riders have posted here it made a difference ? Due to the REALLY rough sand tracks i ride i have around 2-3 mm of fork tube through the clamps. Any more & it becomes too unstable at speed. Id like to be able to have them "flush" as some riders say but even with 2-3mm through it wants to sit up mid corner. My fear with running them flush is it would just make the bike so difficult to get to turn

• YZPaGuy

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:53 PM

All good pointers! I'll try 2 mm on the forks and see what happens. I try to be conscience of my technique while I ride but sometimes I just have too much fun lol I'll pay more attention to weighting the outside peg and see if it helps .how much do you weight it? Like full body weight with your ass off the seat? Or just apply pressure?

The amount of weight really depends on the corner, speed, etc. Some corners I am applying allot, especially flat corners with no rut. Others only little, rutted corners, none.

Next time you go riding just play around with it, you will be amazed how well it makes the side knobs stick.

Edited by YZPaGuy, September 07, 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CZRoger

Posted September 08, 2014 - 06:59 AM

Did they move from Costa Mesa? It's been a long time but nick worked wonders on my supermoto suspension. Revalved/resprung ..it was a totally different bike and much easier to ride fast at Grange.

Also, keep in mind the old saying: the best you know is the best you've ridden.

No, my mistake. Still in CM.

• rwebb35

Posted September 08, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Why don't people run sag on these bikes where the owners manual recommends? For years and years, even the mag reviews recommend 103-105. I sent a couple of suspensions to f.c. for off-road revalves and they recommended 110 sag. Believe me I have done my fair share of testing sag on yz's and wr's over the years. Including the new 14 yz. I have tried anywhere from 90-110. For me 95-100 works the best, depending on terrain. To me the 14 is not even rideable with 110, of course the front end is going to feel loose. Do yourself a favor and try what the manual recommends 90-100.

• YzCas

Posted September 09, 2014 - 05:42 AM

I too now know what riders mean on here when they talk of the "loose front end" on this bike. Ive had 3-4 front end wash outs, (on sand tracks). I have a good front tyre, spring rates & sags are correct. Run the standard rear link. Did run a lowering link for a few months, but recently went back to standard. Other than keeping the back end planted in braking bumps, i think standard link offers more overall benefits.

Other than pulling the forks through, (to weight the front end) which will give it more grip, keen to hear from other people as to what they've done to combat the problem. Id prefer not to do this if possible as then you obviously sacrifice straight line stability. Have been running 2-3mm of tubing through the clamps.

YZ 450 2014 models comparisons pls

. I don't know if you tried this but it's a 15 minute job move the bar mounts up to the front holes in the tree that will get you up front more to put weight over the front end I believe the bars are moved forward about an inch.

• Envisage

Posted September 10, 2014 - 04:49 PM

. I don't know if you tried this but it's a 15 minute job move the bar mounts up to the front holes in the tree that will get you up front more to put weight over the front end I believe the bars are moved forward about an inch.

Yep, already running them in the front mounts !

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 10, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Going night riding tomorrow at perris mx I'm going to move my bars and play with some clickers see how it goes

• DanielMerrick

Posted September 10, 2014 - 06:24 PM

One of the big things to experiment with, too, is rider position. All YZ450's are very sensitive to it, and like the rider well forward in corners.

Took this advice the other day at the track night and day, ride up forward in tight turns and it cuts like butter

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 10, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Disregard this comment.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1410408256850.jpg

Edited by yzUSMCf, September 11, 2014 - 07:46 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:55 AM

What is this in my resivior? To absorb moisture??

A classic example of a thread hijack.  Start a new topic when you want to post something unrelated to the discussion.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:44 AM

Awesome. I'll delete it.

• YzCas

Posted September 11, 2014 - 10:30 AM

Awesome. I'll delete it.

. I snuck out for 20 min on my Yz moving the bar mounts up to the top holes works great keeps me up in the center of the bike I tried it in the sand bam works just like my 13 did gotta love it one inch different for the better for me

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.