YZ 450 2014 LOOSE FRONT END

Yamaha YZ450F 2014 Suspension

141 replies to this topic
  • Bremer120

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:57 AM

here's a little video. you can visually see how the bike handles front end grips and holds.. :jawdrop: . at 1:18 and 1:40 are good examples this was my second ride on the bike still breaking in and getting used to it.
and i like what it does! ...that fuel injection though!!!! :goofy: :thumbsup:

My absolute favorite part is when you dropped your goggles

• Envisage

Posted September 04, 2014 - 03:31 AM

My absolute favorite part is when you dropped your goggles

Hey Bremer riding a track like that, at that speed doesnt tell me a lot. Its like a billiard table, so smooth.You could have your forks anywhere from 5-10mm up in the clamps as you dont need to worry about stability issues on such a flat track.

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:01 AM

A smooth, groomed surface will tell more about cornering geometry than a rough one.  Once the geometry is dialed, suspension enters the picture in the rougher corners.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:19 AM

A smooth, groomed surface will tell more about cornering geometry than a rough one. Once the geometry is dialed, suspension enters the picture in the rougher corners.

exactly. I was on this track to get a feel for the character of the bike(was my 2nd ride) that way when tuning on a rougher track I'll have a base to go off of. I do have a video on a much rougher track. And still no front end push . Still if anything the front hooks so well if your not paying attention and turn too much into a tight turn the rear will come around and cause a spin out on soft/ flat turns . I'm still dialing in my suspension to my liking getting close I'm no pro at riding or tuning. But I'm having a hallova time on my bike!!!

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:43 AM

I find that the front will bite and stand the bike up at times then I get all squirly you can see it happen many times here.I'm thinking its because the track is so dry and goes from hard pack to soft sand spots through the corners This is my 3rd month back riding after a 3 year dry spell. I progress every time I ride that's why I love this sport. Tell me what works for you I'm open for some tips

LAKE ELSINORE MX LABOR DAY EDIT 2014 YZ450F AND 9…:

• CZRoger

Posted September 04, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I kept leaning my head with you towards the end of the vid. lol

Try messing a bit with your rebound settings. Also sounded like a little too quick on the throttle through the flat turn when the bike went down. EFI can be a bitch sometimes.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 04, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the input. Yeah next time I'm going to slow down the rebound a little see what happens. Last bike I had was 01 yz250 so this fi is new to me lol . I love it though

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Whichever end slips first in a situation where the bike suddenly looses and quickly regains a solid bite is going to bounce the bike into a more upright attitude.  It's simple centrifugal force and inertia.  The bike slips outward and comes up against something that stops it.  That's going to make it want to stand it up no matter what.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 04, 2014 - 08:46 AM

True. Would slowing down the rebound keep it from unsettling the bike so much?keep it from springing up so fast and putting me off balance?

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2014 - 02:24 PM

The rebound damping has an effect on the stability and the cornering characteristics of the motorcycle.

As you enter a turn, the forks compress.  As it settles into the turn, the speed at which the forks rebound is what pushes your front wheel into the ground. If the forks rebound too quickly, the energy will be used up and the bike will drift wide, or wash. If the rebound is too slow, the bike will tend more toward tucking under and turn too soon to the inside. Experiment with 5-6 click changes to exaggerate the effect, then dial in using smaller increments.

The wheel should return to the ground quickly yet not deflect off berms or bounce off jumps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzUSMCf

Posted September 04, 2014 - 02:43 PM

I think that will make an improvement. I'll try it next time at the track thanks . Also got some new tech 7 's to break in!

• Envisage

Posted September 04, 2014 - 05:50 PM

exactly. I was on this track to get a feel for the character of the bike(was my 2nd ride) that way when tuning on a rougher track I'll have a base to go off of. I do have a video on a much rougher track. And still no front end push . Still if anything the front hooks so well if your not paying attention and turn too much into a tight turn the rear will come around and cause a spin out on soft/ flat turns . I'm still dialing in my suspension to my liking getting close I'm no pro at riding or tuning. But I'm having a hallova time on my bike!!!

How far you running your forks up in the clamps & what rear sage you have ?

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:04 PM

The forks are flush i have tried them 4mm Down and it had too touchy steering

And my sag is 110

• Envisage

Posted September 05, 2014 - 01:24 AM

And my sag is 110

Mmmm, OK have they been re valved ?, what comp & reb settings you running ?

You mean you tried them 4mm UP in the clamps ?

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2014 - 06:23 AM

And my sag is 110

A lot of people are finding that setup works best.  The '14 is quite a bit different than the bikes that went before it.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 05, 2014 - 07:56 AM

My spring rates. Stock/and recommended for my weight
Forks: .49 nm. / .49.6nm
Shock. 5.8nm. / 6.2nm
Now I think the spring rates are in the park so idk if re springing and revalving would do much for me?or be worth the $ (I have never ridden a bike that's been modified so I'm not sure if I need it)

Forks: comp 12 clicks
Rebound 8 clicks
Shock: hi speed 2 turns out
Low 12 clicks
Rebound 9 out

This may be off by one or two my bike is kept in storage or I'd go confirm.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 05, 2014 - 07:58 AM

Correction , I have never ridden a bike with modified suspention

• CZRoger

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Nick at Provalve is the guy to talk to locally if you decide to make some changes. My '14 is there now for a revalve.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Were is pro valve located? How much it run you for front and rear? I'm pretty happy with how it feels now just a little more tuning . I'm not sure if the suspension can get any better it feels right but I'm not too experienced with tuning.

• yzUSMCf

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:46 AM

If you watch the lake Elsinore edit I posted @ 5:45 I OJ a jump and landed hard and I feel the suspension handled it well it didn't bottom or beat me up

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.