YZ 450 2014 LOOSE FRONT END

Yamaha YZ450F 2014 Suspension

141 replies to this topic
  • Envisage

Posted August 26, 2014 - 05:50 AM

I too now know what riders mean on here when they talk of the "loose front end" on this bike. Ive had 3-4 front end wash outs, (on sand tracks). I have a good front tyre, spring rates & sags are correct. Run the standard rear link. Did run a lowering link for a few months, but recently went back to standard. Other than keeping the back end planted in braking bumps, i think standard link offers more overall benefits.

Other than pulling the forks through, (to weight the front end) which will give it more grip, keen to hear from other people as to what they've done to combat the problem. Id prefer not to do this if possible as then you obviously sacrifice straight line stability. Have been running 2-3mm of tubing through the clamps.

YZ 450 2014 models comparisons pls

• crf917rider

Posted August 26, 2014 - 07:24 AM

I run my forks almost flush 110 sag i guess it depends on your riding style i ride more over the front of the bike i also have my bars moved foward and the clamps forward 2 i have never suffered the wiggle people talk about mine is very stable and i can put it where ever i want 2 . I ride alot of diff tracks also lots of sand all the way to hard pack

• JS264

Posted August 26, 2014 - 01:15 PM

If you've got the wiggles, your forks are too soft on compression and you need to get more weight on the front, slide forks up 8mm.  It will be stable still if you have the suspension set up right.

I never felt it and then a suspension tuner revalved my forks wayyy too soft and then it started wiggling like mad. 

• Envisage

Posted August 26, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi guys, to clarify im not talking about "wiggles, or a wiggling" front end. Im talking about no front end grip, it feeling loose & washing out in corners.

Hear what your saying but sliding the forks up, (especially 8mm), seriously decreases trail & decreasing trail decreases stability on any bike. This is even worse on a really rough track.

• Gaz929

Posted August 26, 2014 - 10:30 PM

Mine was doing the same until the suspension bedded in and now she's fine, throw it into a burm and spits me out the other end with ease.

• Bremer120

Posted August 27, 2014 - 12:46 AM

I tried moving the forks up in the trees to the mark and it made my problem worse. It was so bad that I didn't feel confident using my front brake. I ended up back to stock with the forks (flush), and sag around 108-110. I found more sag made my front end more trustworthy with braking and easier to lay over in corners. Still playing with the setup though.

Edited by Bremer120, August 27, 2014 - 12:48 AM.

• JS264

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:03 AM

How much do you weigh? What springs do you have front and rear? Clicker settings?

• Denaki

Posted August 27, 2014 - 02:21 PM

90 mm front tire, Dr D radiator lowering kit, Dr D motor relocation kit, 270mm front disc and 20mm offset clamps worked for me and with suspension tuning!

• Denaki

Posted August 27, 2014 - 02:24 PM

With the Dr D rad. Lowering and mototrailerrcycle relocation, if u have a FMF pipe u will have to unbolt the left rad. To get the pipe on and off. It kinda sucks but, works only because of the mega bomb, if u run other pipes u might not have that problem

• Envisage

Posted August 28, 2014 - 03:30 AM

90 mm front tire, Dr D radiator lowering kit, Dr D motor relocation kit, 270mm front disc and 20mm offset clamps worked for me and with suspension tuning!

Hey Denaki, this is on yr YZ 450 2014 model ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:40 AM

A lot of good input already. Presuming your rear sag is set near spot-on, many overlook FORK rebound settings. What are they and what are your compression settings? Rebound that is too fast or too slow can effect front end cornering feel along the lines of having too much pressure or even running a worn tire.

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:54 AM

One of the big things to experiment with, too, is rider position.  All YZ450's are very sensitive to it, and like the rider well forward in corners.

• Denaki

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:08 PM

Yes this is all done to my 2014 yz450f, have not tried the engine relocation kit yet. Loved the bike before and am sure the relocation kit will make it even better! Will see October 1

• Envisage

Posted August 29, 2014 - 01:24 AM

Yes this is all done to my 2014 yz450f, have not tried the engine relocation kit yet. Loved the bike before and am sure the relocation kit will make it even better! Will see October 1

OK so your running the radiator lowering kit ?, howd you find this ?

Same with the 90mm front tyre ?

In theory the engine relocation brackets should work. Heard MANY teams were using this on the 2013 model, but not sure how many are running it on the 2014. Again in theory moving more weight over the front end should improve grip. Not sure if there are any negatives.

• yzUSMCf

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:26 AM

I myself tried moving my forks up 4mm made the front end too snappy in corner so I went back to flush . 110 sag. For me I have plenty of front end grip stock never had a washout from the front it grips like crazy I point and shoot and it goes were I put it I just swing the rear around. Its quite nice actually!

It blows me away when I hear ppl say they have no front end grip because I have the opposite sensation maybe I'm just throttle happy lol

• Bremer120

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:35 AM

I myself tried moving my forks up 4mm made the front end too snappy in corner so I went back to flush . 110 sag. For me I have plenty of front end grip stock never had a washout from the front it grips like crazy I point and shoot and it goes were I put it I just swing the rear around. Its quite nice actually!

It blows me away when I hear ppl say they have no front end grip because I have the opposite sensation maybe I'm just throttle happy lol

See I agree with this. I feel if I were to install the engine relocating kit it would hurt the performance. The problem with my bike was too much grip to the point i didn't feel comfortable. Also I don't feel comfortable on the front of the machine in corners because there is already plenty of traction and turning ability.

• crf917rider

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:39 AM

See I agree with this. I feel if I were to install the engine relocating kit it would hurt the performance. The problem with my bike was too much grip to the point i didn't feel comfortable. Also I don't feel comfortable on the front of the machine in corners because there is already plenty of traction and turning ability.

+3

• Envisage

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:18 PM

One of the big things to experiment with, too, is rider position.  All YZ450's are very sensitive to it, and like the rider well forward in corners.

Without a doubt this is true. Trouble is this feels un natural for me. I like to steer/corner the bike from the middle to the back.

• Envisage

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:26 PM

A lot of good input already. Presuming your rear sag is set near spot-on, many overlook FORK rebound settings. What are they and what are your compression settings? Rebound that is too fast or too slow can effect front end cornering feel along the lines of having too much pressure or even running a worn tire.

Yeah sag is 110, (or close too). Agree what you say with the comp & rebound. My comp was 8, & rebound 9, (both counted from all the way in, then back out) ?

Forks are standard, too, (not been re-valved) Mainly ride really rough deep, sand tracks

• yzUSMCf

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:38 PM

here's a little video. you can visually see how the bike handles front end grips and holds.. :jawdrop: . at 1:18 and 1:40 are good examples this was my second ride on the bike still breaking in and getting used to it.

and i like what it does!   ...that fuel injection though!!!! :goofy:  :thumbsup:

Edited by yzUSMCf, August 31, 2014 - 10:41 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.