Remove Arm Relay Bearings

12 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted August 25, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Should of done it sooner, but I have a bearings and collar that is rusted and will need to be replaced.  Can the bearings be tapped out with a socket or a punch?

Also, I'm assuming that when putting in the new bearing... you would want to press them on so the needles don't fall out?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 25, 2014 - 01:30 PM

No clue what part you are talking about

Year

Model

• RMK800

Posted August 25, 2014 - 02:25 PM

2007 WR 450

The parts call it a Arm Relay. Parts 20, 21, and 23. The bearings are rusted. So I need those replaced.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409005470.145289.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 25, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Ahhhh, linkage 

The bearings are not caged, they are held in with grease

Yes, you can press out the races

The races are usually fine after a cleaning and polishing.

• RMK800

Posted August 25, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Ok good to know. The collar and bearings were pretty bad. I ordered new parts. I re-greased everything else including the swingarm. Nothing else had seized. Man I kept wondering why my rear shock wasn't raising right after getting off the bike.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 25, 2014 - 03:50 PM

Please use water proof grease

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted August 25, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Yes, I did do that right.

• avlisj

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Please use water proof grease

You probably got an answer for this....lithium soap based grease and the warning not to mix greases yet the heavy duty water proof high temp greases I have say nothing about lithium. I got tons of water proof bearing grease for boat trailer hubs but am afraid of the mixing greases warning. When shopping I didn't find much lithium except in small tubes. Obviously when regressing my new wr I didn't clean the grease already on just added to it. But I did get lithium grease. Ever heard of any horror stories of mixing greases?

• 300lbsgorilla

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:55 PM

To press them out I used some 3/8-24 all-thread with some large washers, a large socket to recieve the race and a smaller deep well socket to use as the ram.  Worked great.  Used same set up to press new ones in only didn't need large socket to receive it.

• RMK800

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:37 PM

To press them out I used some 3/8-24 all-thread with some large washers, a large socket to recieve the race and a smaller deep well socket to use as the ram. Worked great. Used same set up to press new ones in only didn't need large socket to receive it.

What do you mean 3/8-24 all thread?

• RMK800

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:39 PM

You probably got an answer for this....lithium soap based grease and the warning not to mix greases yet the heavy duty water proof high temp greases I have say nothing about lithium. I got tons of water proof bearing grease for boat trailer hubs but am afraid of the mixing greases warning. When shopping I didn't find much lithium except in small tubes. Obviously when regressing my new wr I didn't clean the grease already on just added to it. But I did get lithium grease. Ever heard of any horror stories of mixing greases?

Well I mixed the grease with water proof grease, there wasn't a ton left anyways. I'll check them again in a year.

• 300lbsgorilla

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:52 PM

What do you mean 3/8-24 all thread?

I went to the hardware store bought the metal rod that was threaded the whole length.  it was 3/8 inch diameter, 24 threads per inch pitch (fine thread).  Comes in 3 foot length.  Cut different sizes to use on different parts.  I had to replace all of the swingarm, linkage, and shock bearings.  I opened them to grease it all up as the bike was new to me and the roller bearings came out as rusted dust and the seals were all hard and torn.  Nothing was salvagable had to press out all the races and start over with new kits.

I made the press because there is something that just feels wrong with hitting bearing races with a hammer

Edited by 300lbsgorilla, August 25, 2014 - 06:54 PM.

• RMK800

Posted August 25, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Well lessoned learn, went to my neighbors and tried to press these rusted bearings out. Tried heat etc. there not moving. I could try the other suggestions. Looked on eBay and found a full linkage for 38.00. That's cheaper then just the parts with two bearings and a collar. So I'm going to go that way. Thanks for the help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.