2000 YZ426 Chain Length - Can I shorten it??

4 replies to this topic
  • Dan222

Posted January 24, 2002 - 12:35 PM

I just got a new chain. The std length is 114 links, but I see that the rear wheel is slightly behind the center of the adjustment slots in the swingarm - meaning that there is more room to tighten it then to loosen it.
Does anyone know if there is anything wrong with taking out a couple of links? It would only push the wheel about 1/2" forward, and that would almost perfectly center it.
TIA

• MikeOK

Posted January 24, 2002 - 02:44 PM

Sure you can shorten the chain. You can either buy a chain tool or just use a grinder to grind down the pin, then use a punch to knock it out. The bike will handle surprisingly different though. With the axle forward, it will turn quicker but be less stable in the air. Most MX'ers use a chain that will allow the axle to be as far back as possible, that's my preference too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HoustonYZF

Posted January 24, 2002 - 03:07 PM

I bought a new O-Ring chain and accidentally cut it too short, now my back wheel is almost all the way forward, about 1/4 inch of threads showing on my adjusters...wow what a difference in handling (I've now been formally introduced to headshake). I bit it and ordered another new chain to move the wheel back just past center (leaves a little room to tighten it later).

• dlmorris

Posted December 02, 2006 - 12:06 PM

I did the same thing too! Got another master link and added one more chain link. Am I doing harm by having two master links in the chain? I guess the good thing about it is if I ever downsize my sprockets, I can take one master out and be good to go! Good luck to you!

• Fastest1

Posted December 02, 2006 - 12:26 PM

I personally like the wheel as far forward as possible! I like the quick steering. A little shake coming out of a turn is fine too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.