Can you mix coolant?

Chemical Coolant

4 replies to this topic
  • Gaz929

Posted August 25, 2014 - 04:40 AM

Guys I've just put a blue coolant hose on my 14 450f and tried my hardest to catch it all to put back in, now my question is can I top it up with a different colour and brand of coolant? ? ?

• Kmoney

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:20 AM

I suggest putting in all new coolant

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Many times during 100 mile rides or races I've mixed coolant. Beggers can't be choosers, and results were good, but if you're in a garage and have the time and doing a good maintenance session why not put in the same color/brand.

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2014 - 08:04 AM

There are 3 basic types of coolant; ethylene glycol (typically green), propylene glycol, and oxalic acid ("Dex Cool").  You should just straight up never use Dex Cool for any reason.  EG and PG coolants will mix, but it's a whole lot better not to, especially when the whole system holds less than two quarts, and isn't any more difficult to drain and refill that it is.

• Gaz929

Posted August 25, 2014 - 12:02 PM

I've drained and flushed all the factory stuff out and put new in which was pink in colour "Motul"

Cheers guys. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408996976.355773.jpg

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.