2006 yz450 knocking sound

3 replies to this topic
  • Thumper mike

Posted August 24, 2014 - 04:27 PM

I went to check out a 2006 yz450 today. The bike is in good condition, cranks after 2-3 kicks but when idling it makes a knocking sound like hitting a hammer on steel. The owner says all his friends 450 make the same sound.I don't notice the sound as much when you rev the engine, but could be exhaust noise drowning out sound. The bike seems to have good power. The bike has 71 hours on hour meter. He doesn't know if previous owner had adjusted valves but he hasn't. Is this sound normal or is something inside ready to break? Thanks for any  help on what this could be. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Compare it to two others.  The YZ450 is notoriously noisy.  It's a purpose-built race engine with no effort wasted on niceties like quiet operation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • macoroniman2004

Posted August 26, 2014 - 07:46 AM

also may have had s.s. valves put in sometime or another ...when I put them in my 04 the noise change was crazy sounds exactly like what your saying like 3 tiny hammers everytime my intakes close??? very concerning to listen to but ive had no issues thus far

• Thumper mike

Posted August 26, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I listened to a few other bikes and the sound was similar. Got a good deal on the bike so I bought it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.