2012+ WR450F Camshaft Upgrade Info.

187 replies to this topic
  • Jonesy11

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:30 PM

So much bickering. I'm going to pull the trigger on the gytr cam and head you can google the specs under 14 wr450 gytr head cam upgrade. I don't know anything about duration or anything else. All I know is kick but vs kick a@@. I also have ridden 2002 cr250. 2010kx450, 2012 kx450. And just want flat out more balls out of my 14 wr450. So I will post back if there is a huge difference or not.

• revelc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:23 AM

You know, Yamaha makes a ready-made, off the shelf, fully built racing head for your newer WR450's...................

... with the stock cam or not.....

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2054897.l4275

http://www.powerpart...=1&showAll=true

That $2,000 could buy a lot of gas.
But if you have it, go for it and post dyno numbers.

You can knock the comment about the 250R. I went from a 43 to 52 rear sprocket and tuned my suspension a little. I pulled away from everyone in the tight stuff. A buddy dropped a valve on his KTM 450 chasing me at Hidden Falls OHV park. On that same trip I made up hill climbs guys on 450s wouldn't attempt.

Wheel spin is over rated.

Though I do love that I can twist my throttle now and KNOW my front tire will come up.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• cracker please

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:16 AM

It would be nice to see some pics or get some specs or something before you spend that much.  Can't seem to find pics of the ports or the combustion chamber or anything.  I think it uses stock size valves.  Stock springs?  You could probably get all that done to the stock head for less money but I guess you could sell the stock head and offset the cost somewhat.

• KennyMc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:28 AM

So much bickering. I'm going to pull the trigger on the gytr cam and head you can google the specs under 14 wr450 gytr head cam upgrade. I don't know anything about duration or anything else. All I know is kick but vs kick a@@. I also have ridden 2002 cr250. 2010kx450, 2012 kx450. And just want flat out more balls out of my 14 wr450. So I will post back if there is a huge difference or not.

I think this mod will do you good based on the riding you do. :thumbsup:

Bill, I saw your comment on the YZ forks for your bike. For me, I can say that putting on the YZ forks has been the best mod I have done for my bike. I had no confidence in the WR forks when coming to a unforeseen g-out or other high speed obstacles. And after getting the YZ forks tuned by ENZO (I did ride them prior to this), the low speed riding ability of the forks were fantastic. They soaked up all of the sharp rock hits some much that I honestly stopped to check the front tire pressure on the first ride cause I figured I had a flat tire, it soaked up the small hits so well. This has been my experience. :ride:

• stevethe

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:47 AM

Bill, I saw your comment on the YZ forks for your bike. For me, I can say that putting on the YZ forks has been the best mod I have done for my bike. I had no confidence in the WR forks when coming to a unforeseen g-out or other high speed obstacles. And after getting the YZ forks tuned by ENZO (I did ride them prior to this), the low speed riding ability of the forks were fantastic. They soaked up all of the sharp rock hits some much that I honestly stopped to check the front tire pressure on the first ride cause I figured I had a flat tire, it soaked up the small hits so well. This has been my experience. :ride:

The question is was your WR forks reworked with new base valves and set up properly. You cannot compare UN-worked defective WR fork base valves.

The only YZ I felt that had as plush of suspension as my Racetech WR forks was a reworked set done by Ricky Johnson at http://www.tootechracing.com/ in Torrance Ca. Very nice guy you can talk to and he will give you plush and progressive suspension.

• Mbirt

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:41 AM

On the Hondas, there is a magical synergy when you use an '02 R cam on any 450X. More power, better power, all the time. It's so good all the factory off road teams used it (with head work).

No one has yet found this magic combination on the WR with YZ cams. The head is just not very good for that. 

This intrigues me since I cut my teeth on the 450X before we picked up a sponsorship with Yamaha.  What do 450X riders think of the 03R and HC S2 cams?

Looking at 02 CRF450R cam specs, I think the Wiseco WCI009 might be a good intake cam in a WR in combination with any exhaust cam upgrade that keeps decent starting (the only OEM option would be the YFZ450R/X exhaust cam).  In my testing it made as much peak power as the hottest of the Hot Cams I tested, but did so with only ~248 deg duration (published 242 deg @ 1.25 mm).  I elaborate on the subject here: http://www.yfzcentra...tml#post1592682

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teardrop viewpost.gif.pagespeed.ce.EJw3mwOkdt.gif
So witch one is better on bottom to mid rpm 08 yz can wiseco can or 08 yfz cam

bottom to mid cam ..... the 08 yz450f dirt bike cam is my pick for pure low end punch..... dyno and track testing of everything will sort out what is best for an individual...

track testing of machines with great looking top end dyno graphs often turns out to be disappointing..... the power needs to be where you are actually using it

Source: mixxer, post #36  http://www.yfzcentra...tml#post1592682

?????

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 28, 2014 - 08:35 AM.

• cracker please

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:25 AM

http://www.thumperta...ween-wr-and-yz/

This thread talks a little about the decomp pin differences.

• KennyMc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:46 AM

The question is was your WR forks reworked with new base valves and set up properly. You cannot compare UN-worked defective WR fork base valves.

The only YZ I felt that had as plush of suspension as my Racetech WR forks was a reworked set done by Ricky Johnson at http://www.tootechracing.com/ in Torrance Ca. Very nice guy you can talk to and he will give you plush and progressive suspension.

Ugh.  Yes, 3 tries with RG3 and once with Smart Performance (better than the RG3 attempts).  I know what I am doing and how my bike rides.  Ross at ENZO has an extensive background with the KYB's. 

• beezer

Posted August 28, 2014 - 11:53 AM

I never tried the RG3 or Smart Performance cams.  I bet the SP cams are back-ordered.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 12:55 PM

I never tried the RG3 or Smart Performance cams. I bet the SP cams are back-ordered.

So what you are saying is you don't know what you are missing :moon:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 28, 2014 - 02:37 PM

The stock forks are garbage

Re-worked stock forks, even with MX-Tech Huck valves, still are no comparison to YZ forks properly set up.

My YZ forks work very good, but they are still not 'X' good.

• revelc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:43 PM

The stock forks are garbage
Re-worked stock forks, even with MX-Tech Huck valves, still are no comparison to YZ forks properly set up.
My YZ forks work very good, but they are still not 'X' good.

So should I not even try to tune my forks on my 2012?

Would I be better off getting YZ forks from the get go?

We just had our first kiddo so I'd rather not waste money if I can help it.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• cubera

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:11 PM

You know, Yamaha makes a ready-made, off the shelf, fully built racing head for your newer WR450's...................

... with the stock cam or not.....

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2054897.l4275

http://www.powerpart...=1&showAll=true
[/quote OUCH THAT PRICE MAKES MY ARSE BLEED

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:39 PM

So should I not even try to tune my forks on my 2012?

Would I be better off getting YZ forks from the get go?

We just had our first kiddo so I'd rather not waste money if I can help it.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

No, no, your '12 forks are awesome/ ready for being ultimate with a nice respring and re valve

Previous comments were reffering to the 2003 - 2011 WR250/450 forks. 

• revelc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:51 PM

No, no, your '12 forks are awesome/ ready for being ultimate with a nice respring and re valve
Previous comments were reffering to the 2003 - 2011 WR250/450 forks.

Thank God!
I'm on the RaceTech site as we speak getting a list together.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 01, 2014 - 12:14 PM

My cam swap fiasco.  

http://www.thumperta...gine-backwards/

Lost a day of riding to this experience.

I'll report back once I ride the bike.

• JDLowrance

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Wow, don't log on for a while and what do I miss....debate of the century.

Just for the record I installed a YZ-F intake cam in my 2012 WR and lost too much bottom end snap.....gained nothing on top (surprisingly). I do not know what year cam it was (presumably 06-09) as I bought it from a snake oil salesman located in Arizona for $250. Waste of money. One ride and I swapped back to stock.

Just got my suspension back together and was looking to do some riding this fall/winter but unfortunately will be out of town for a couple of months for work starting in Oct. Common December!

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Just for the record I installed a YZ-F intake cam in my 2012 WR and lost too much bottom end snap.....gained nothing on top (surprisingly). I do not know what year cam it was (presumably 06-09) as I bought it from a snake oil salesman located in Arizona for $250. Waste of money. One ride and I swapped back to stock.

You can't fill the cylinder when its not empty.   All the successful cam swaps on 07+ engines have involved replacing the exhaust cam with something with more lift/duration and better timing and having a good aftermarket exhaust system.  An intake cam by itself doesn't do much.

Rumor is that the restrictive exhaust system and the throttle stop screw are all about meeting noise limits in countries where the WR is sold for road use.  The exhaust cam is apparently set up to work with the restrictive stock exhaust system.  It needs to be addressed before the intake cam is going to make much difference.

• cubera

Posted September 02, 2014 - 01:28 AM

You can't fill the cylinder when its not empty.   All the successful cam swaps on 07+ engines have involved replacing the exhaust cam with something with more lift/duration and better timing and having a good aftermarket exhaust system.  An intake cam by itself doesn't do much.

Rumor is that the restrictive exhaust system and the throttle stop screw are all about meeting noise limits in countries where the WR is sold for road use.  The exhaust cam is apparently set up to work with the restrictive stock exhaust system.  It needs to be addressed before the intake cam is going to make much difference.

I'm confused. I thought replacing the fuel stop screw, replacing the ECU then remapping, and derestricting the WR's intake and exhaust were the first things done to drastically improve performance before considering cam swaps? What am I missing here?

Edited by cubera, September 02, 2014 - 01:31 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.