next generation xr650r ?

24 replies to this topic
  • irondude

Posted February 16, 2004 - 04:53 PM

Seems to me that Honda needs to update their product cycle.

The days of making a cutting edge XR400 or whatever XR, and then going 8 years without any real changes-only to come out with a totally redesigned bike--isnt gonna cut it anymore.

KTM's product cycle is one of continuous updates. Even mid-production year they will make significant changes to off-road four strokes...

Yamaha has shown their commitment to updating 4 strokes every year-both motocross and off-road. Witness the WR450.

Kawasaki and Suzuki havent gotten in the ring-at least outside their joint motocross venture....but i suspect that will change.

Lets rememeber something: The hottest selling dirt bike is the CRF450R. According to one mag, about 75% of those bikes are not for motocross racers.

Honda needs to update its 250, 450, and open class fourstrokes for both motocross and off-road each year-and if the way they have handled the 450 is any indication-they will. :)
just my 2 pesos worth..........

• Rokatt88

Posted February 17, 2004 - 07:09 AM

Keep those pesos comin' Irondude! :)

Are you listening Honda?? Oh yeah...AND NO CHEATING! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huntmaster

Posted February 18, 2004 - 11:41 AM

[QUOTE]
Honda needs to update its 250, 450, and open class fourstrokes for both motocross and off-road each year[QUOTE]

Well, at least not every ten years! Still, as I understand things it is very hard to get new designs and major changes past the quality people at Honda, and this tends to add to the R&D cycle and date availble. Based on the XR's long term durability and dependability this may be a worthwhile sacrafice. :)

• irondude

Posted February 18, 2004 - 04:08 PM

"Well, at least not every ten years! Still, as I understand things it is very hard to get new designs and major changes past the quality people at Honda, and this tends to add to the R&D cycle and date availble. Based on the XR's long term durability and dependability this may be a worthwhile sacrafice."
I was writting more about the CRF R and X bikes and the BRP, and less about the others in the XR line (which is now just an entry-level bike line)-but your point is well taken.

Maybe for the XR's a new product every 5+ years is ok- especially if that product line is going to be focused on 'trail bikes' or entry level products or 'wifes bike' like the Yamaha TTR's are.
But--If there is going to be a parallel 4 stroke line of more competitive off-road bikes from Honda-like the CRF250X, future 450X and maybe one day a 580X, 125X, and 80X (remember 2 strokes will not be made after 2006)-- well then Honda will have to update or 'fine tune' those models every year. Just as they are now doing with the CRF450R. Their R and D folks have been doing it for years with the CR's (some years more than others). But never before with the 4 strokes-even when the various XR's had some significant flaws (like out own BRP!)-- i mean how hard is it to get Honda R and D to change the thermostat?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some other thoughts: I suppose the XL line will go out? The XR line will be what the XL line used to be, and the CRF X will be the more competitive product line-what the XR line sort of was...? Or will there be CRF R, X, XR and XL's all in the same displacement category??!
Frankly its all a bit confusing right now...but look at Yamahas YZ, WR, and TTR lines. I suppose that is what Honda will have in a couple years.
Interestingly KTM doesnt really go that way. They dont offer 'wife bikes' - theres not really an equivelent to the XL/XR or the TTR. Instead all their off-road models are focused on being ready to race and/or adventure ride and they are improved every year. At the same time those 'raceable' 250,450, 525, abd 625's all have the button-and so are arguably easier for a entry level rider anyways!

I gotta go get another glass of wine..

• huntmaster

Posted February 20, 2004 - 10:32 AM

Some other thoughts: I suppose the XL line will go out? The XR line will be what the XL line used to be, and the CRF X will be the more competitive product line-what the XR line sort of was...? Or will there be CRF R, X, XR and XL's all in the same displacement category??!

Honda hasn't helped here with their various marketing games when naming bikes. XL's became XR's, while some XR's were renamed CRF's. It doesn't help this whole issue of recognition and selection when looking for a bike. Who knows whether the next XR600/650 is an XR, CRF, maybe a CBR?
:)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.