next generation xr650r ?

24 replies to this topic
  • iron_savior

Posted January 27, 2004 - 08:31 PM

ok that got your attention, this forum been a bit boring lately, thought i'd get your imagination working :)

i was just thinking last night while lying in bed
if they can make the crf250 put out 34 hp,

imagine what honda could actually do if they used current crf technology and designs on a xr650r

the xr650r design and technology is about nearly 6 -7 years old,can you believe it.

the fact is that other big bore bikes are getting better
and faster with every model.

i just hope honda havent forgotten about the BRP and
give us a next generation BRP soon. :D

my prediction is we will see new designed xr650r in about
3 years time. once this sudden 250 4 stroke craze dies down.

cheers -happy dreaming
w
:D

• PoorLilRich

Posted January 27, 2004 - 08:33 PM

i rode the 650L a few years back...and will be able to take it for a few rides on the road this summer....i cant really compare it because i couldnt fit on it...but i know my 600 puts out some juice.....i ran some nitro additive or somethin in it once...that helped alot too.. :)

• XR/CRDave

Posted January 27, 2004 - 08:51 PM

I agree, I hope Honda does not forget about the BRP but I think it will be awhile before we see any major changes if any at all. Look how long the XR600 stayed basically the same. I think the CRF450X will be the next big thing for Honda in the offroad world and unfortunately BRP sales will likely decline due to its release and possibly not warrant the need for a BRP change. But if Honda made a 650 that put out more power, weighed less, and keep the XR reliabilty then sales surely would be high, I would buy one. On the other hand the bike is already pretty good, I have always modified bikes in the past but w/ the 650 it is pretty good for play riding right out of the box, just uncork it and get some triple clamps and protapers and go.

• atreiou

Posted January 28, 2004 - 01:03 AM

next generation like this ? hehe

Posted Image

• big t

Posted January 28, 2004 - 04:10 AM

I don't think Honda is ever going to make the XR bikes cutting edge. I think they want them to be more reliable and easy to maintain. That's why I bought a xr650 was to get the power but keep the reliability. I just hope Honda doesn't quit making the xr250, 400 or 650. I would think they might update them with some technology but not like the crf250 and 450.

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 28, 2004 - 06:17 AM

I hope honda dosnt sacrafice reliability when they do change the XR's that would suck.

• atreiou

Posted January 28, 2004 - 08:26 AM

or this.... :)

Posted Image

• CJPilot

Posted January 28, 2004 - 08:38 AM

Man thats cool........... :thumbsup:how'd you do that?

• PoorLilRich

Posted January 28, 2004 - 08:56 AM

the 650 will probably stay the same for a while.....remember cr80's well they stayed the same from 83 to 00 really

• x400r

Posted January 28, 2004 - 10:21 AM

i think the 650r is a great bike and a good design. they should keep it for a while and ride it out. but next
year they need to make a street legal version(dual sport) and get ridda the 650l. imo. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atreiou

Posted January 28, 2004 - 10:23 AM

a little "artwork" from a friend of mine... :)

• Rokatt88

Posted January 28, 2004 - 01:28 PM

ok that got your attention, this forum been a bit boring lately,

Doesn't even begin to describe it! Where's that Smurf, Lorax?? :)

• CYBORG

Posted January 29, 2004 - 01:27 PM

i think the 650r is a great bike and a good design. they should keep it for a while and ride it out. but next
year they need to make a street legal version(dual sport) and get ridda the 650l. imo. :)

Absolutely!

I'm not an L hater, but they are two very different bikes.

Here in Cali' we have until January 31 to DS our dirt bikes and then an old law will begin to be enforced banning the conversion.

If Honda makes a true R street legal we would have a lot of happy, sprout eating, Evian swilling left coasters.

• Rokatt88

Posted January 29, 2004 - 03:03 PM

I just filed my paperwork today for the dual license. The gal behind the counter said that as long as the paperwork is started my the 31st. You are good to go. By that I mean that there is no deadline to have your conversion done. Naturally, I want to get this done ASAP so I can have an alternative from driving my F350 to work everyday. "Take the Long Way Home"! :) Set up a GP course to and from work! :D

• huntmaster

Posted February 12, 2004 - 05:02 AM

I agree, I hope Honda does not forget about the BRP but I think it will be awhile before we see any major changes if any at all. Look how long the XR600 stayed basically the same. I think the CRF450X will be the next big thing for Honda in the offroad world and unfortunately BRP sales will likely decline due to its release and possibly not warrant the need for a BRP change. But if Honda made a 650 that put out more power, weighed less, and keep the XR reliabilty then sales surely would be high, I would buy one.

The problem comes down to getting CRF weight, performance AND XR reliability. Honda apparantly has been stuggling with this themselves, a major reason the new 450X did not come out in 04 as originally speculated.

There's no magic here, lighter bikes require thinner gears, cases, lighter wheels, etc and durability can suffer. A smaller engine like the CRF putting out near the peak BHP of the 650 is working a lot harder also, and the same can hold true again. These new generation 450's can not and will not touch long term XR reliability and durability. They are based on MX-spec bikes, limited in displacment by MX rules ....and now middle size bikes are being packaged as open class off-road/enduro bikes. In a way, non-MX riders are being penalized with the demise of true open class two strokes and 4 strokes in the wake of all this.
Open class off-road/play bikes don't have to be artificially limited, and from power/reliability perspective there's no replacement for displacement! And other manufacturer's have proven that open 4 strokes don't have to be that heavy either. Now how about a CRF600X Honda?

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted February 12, 2004 - 03:07 PM

Yeah I say they should just update the suspension i.e. usd forks and make the shock better and leave the rest alone. That way they wont sacrafice reliability much if at all. Who knows well see :)

• irondude

Posted February 12, 2004 - 07:23 PM

I think Honda should keep making the XL650L, come out with a CRF585X, and scrap the XR650R-like, next week. New riders can still have their reliable olde L steed. The rest of us can keep our red jerseys...
The new open class CRF585X could make 55-60hp with a 585cc unicam engine, stage 2 cam, pumper carb, bigger airbox, header, and 10.7:1 piston. Add 21st century suspension and a button. Now throw in some bling---steering dampner, auto-clutch, 200 watt stator, 3.2 gallon tank. there ya go. $6750 out the door. 239lbs. 57hp. Reliable, fast, light, cheap-the new Hare and Hound/Baja champ. Every guy over 200lbs needs one in his garage.
Offer a CRF585M street legal version with 17" wheels, motard suspension, dual front discs.
If Honda doesnt-maybe Yamaha or Kawisuz will?

• huntmaster

Posted February 13, 2004 - 05:04 AM

I think Honda should keep making the XL650L, come out with a CRF585X, and scrap the XR650R-like, next week.

Unfortunately that's not going to happen as the lead time for such designs is literally years, and the existance of such an upcoming model is known for some time before it's introduction and generally no secret. We knew about the 650R for some time before it came out just as with the upcoming CRF450X.

At least for the short term, the question for the faithful will be whether the new bike is a viable option for the type of riding you do, or whether to soldier on with the BRP. Honda will no doubt argue that they don't directly compete with each other, but there will be enough "overlap" to certainly make people think about it.
:)

• huntmaster

Posted February 16, 2004 - 11:20 AM

I don't think Honda is ever going to make the XR bikes cutting edge.

The way Honda plays games with their machine naming conventions it's hard to know what an XR is anymore?
Z-50's are now XR50's, air cooled XL 600's got renamed "XRs" also, causing no end of confusion. And XR 200's etc are now CRFs?

I don't care if they call the next generation 600 an XR or a CRF, as long as the continue the tradition of performance AND reliability! With that in mind converting this latest generation of 450 cc MX bikes to all round off-road bikes is going to be a challenge.

• PoorLilRich

Posted February 16, 2004 - 03:45 PM

I don't think Honda is ever going to make the XR bikes cutting edge.

The way Honda plays games with their machine naming conventions it's hard to know what an XR is anymore?
Z-50's are now XR50's, air cooled XL 600's got renamed "XRs" also, causing no end of confusion. And XR 200's etc are now CRFs?

I don't care if they call the next generation 600 an XR or a CRF, as long as the continue the tradition of performance AND reliability! With that in mind converting this latest generation of 450 cc MX bikes to all round off-road bikes is going to be a challenge.

funny you say that..its true sad but true

a cr80 in 83 was first year to have a mono shock...basically everything except the forks stayed the same till 03....then they made it an 85

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.