Helped Needed w/ YZ426F CDI PLEASE

10 replies to this topic
  • MotoSteve13

Posted August 20, 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hey guys just joined thumper. I have been on supermotojunkie for over a year and it was recommended I try to get help here. I have a 01 YZ426F that I am converting to Supermoto. All rebuilt after picking it up broken but would not start. Determined CDI is dead I have a 2002 yz426f cdi laying around but the part numbers are different will it work?

• gimped up

Posted August 20, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hey guys just joined thumper. I have been on supermotojunkie for over a year and it was recommended I try to get help here. I have a 01 YZ426F that I am converting to Supermoto. All rebuilt after picking it up broken but would not start. Determined CDI is dead I have a 2002 yz426f cdi laying around but the part numbers are different will it work?

I believe it will.
But honestly can't remember.
I'm sure someone who loves blue will be along soon.

• MotoSteve13

Posted August 20, 2014 - 04:12 PM

I really hope so it's the only think keeping this thing out of order and I can't get a yea or nea from anyone.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2014 - 06:43 AM

It will work.  The map is a little different is all.

• MotoSteve13

Posted August 22, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Thanks grayracer513. I ordered it, we shall see soon enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoSteve13

Posted August 25, 2014 - 02:18 PM

From my post last week, didn't know if you'd have any idea...

Got the new cdi today but instead of one plug in wire (I think it's the kill switch) it's got two wires a black and white one and a green one. What do I do with the green? Just cut the plug off and connect the black and white and do nothing with green or ...

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Here's the two wiring diagrams.  The only apparent difference is in the way the kill button leads are run. The 2000-'01 runs a single lead from the black box to the kill button, then runs the other side of the button back to ground.  The '02 runs the kill button ground side back into the box, where it presumably connects to the ground internally.  The cleanest thing would be to extend your two KB leads to reach the two B/W and G/B leads at the box, but you can always just use your existing black lead and run only the B/W back to the connector on the new box.  In that case, just cover the empty spot in the connector with tape.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2000.png
  • 2002.png

• MotoSteve13

Posted August 26, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Here's the two wiring diagrams. The only apparent difference is in the way the kill button leads are run. The 2000-'01 runs a single lead from the black box to the kill button, then runs the other side of the button back to ground. The '02 runs the kill button ground side back into the box, where it presumably connects to the ground internally. The cleanest thing would be to extend your two KB leads to reach the two B/W and G/B leads at the box, but you can always just use your existing black lead and run only the B/W back to the connector on the new box. In that case, just cover the empty spot in the connector with tape.

Sorry for the dummy questions (new to wiring altogether...) my KB leads? Also so your basically saying green fonts need to go anywhere. If I remove the plug on the new cdi connect the wiring harness BW to CDI BW and just tape off the green I should be "jake"? Thanks again gray you are the man!

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2014 - 06:29 AM

"KB"= kill button.

Don't know anything about green fonts.

I wouldn't remove the connector from the new CDI, I'd find some terminals at an auto parts store to plug directly into it, or run a T splice connector on the CDI lead so as to preserve its connector, "just in case".   Connect BW to BW, and then black to either its current connector or to the green on the CDI (recommended).  The green wire is just a place for the kill button to ground to.

• MotoSteve13

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:59 AM

Sorry used a phone, dang autocorrect got me it was suppose to say... so basically the green one doesn't have to go anywhere.

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Correct.

Once I got an auto corrected message that was followed by the corrected word.  I typed "danged auto correct", and the phone subbed  "fanged auto correct" :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.