2012 WR450 Flex Bars Input

17 replies to this topic
  • Jim Dandy

Posted August 19, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have a 2012 Wr450 and Im 6'3" so I'm looking for a flex bar set up with and under mount steering stabilizer to raise the bars a bit. I'm aware of the Fasst Flexx bars but they seem to be a bit heavy. Anyone have any experience with Twisted Engineering bars?..............or any other options?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Do you need flex bars for vibration isolation or impact isolation or just bar positioning ?

My WR450F is almost vibration free.  I ride it for hours with no numbness.

My friend has Fasst Flex bars on his YZ250F.   I dislike them, but its a personal thing.

I'm working on a solution for moving the bars ahead and up on my bike.   I'll post it when I'm done.

• Jim Dandy

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:38 PM

To be honest a friend of mine has them on his quad and he loves them. I was thinking they might be good for the 150 mile rides we do out in the desert and help me with fatigue.

• adam500

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:49 PM

I've always wanted a set for my CR500AF. She's bored to the max and shakes my hands a bit.

I would have a set by know if they didn't cost so much.

Adding Flexx bars with some Cycra hand gaurds and a steering stab. is a awesome upgrade to ANY BIKE but that's like an $800 bill.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Flexx bars regardless of what they are mounted on.

Like anything else ya get what ya pay for.

I keep saving up for a set but when I have enough money for it, I always either break something or find some other part for another bike I own.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:55 PM

I had a set on my Desert crf450r

They work, they don't feel odd in any way

I am 6'4 and I used the tallest 15degree bend with the BRP submount

• adam500

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:19 PM

I've never heard of the Twisted Engineering bars before.

Just checked them out. They look pretty neat, like a fancy fat Pro-Taper.

I really like how the hand guards attach ALL THE WAY down to the triple clamp mounts.

Great for bikes like the WR which have more stuff mounted to the bars.

They seem to be a bit cheaper than a set of Flexx bars. Not by much.

I don't see where the twisted bars incorporate a steering stab. like the Flexx bars do.

• adam500

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Doesn't being tall suck? I'm 6'3"(all in my legs) 220 lbs.

Ricky Carmichael isn't much bigger than a horse jockey. Part of the reason why he is THE MAN.

Try riding a trials bike. Your a whole new kind of top heavy! It's tougher for sure.

Edited by adam500, August 19, 2014 - 05:45 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:29 PM

I have a 2012 Wr450 and Im 6'3" so I'm looking for a flex bar set up with and under mount steering stabilizer to raise the bars a bit. I'm aware of the Fasst Flexx bars but they seem to be a bit heavy. Anyone have any experience with Twisted Engineering bars?..............or any other options?

Been using Flexx Bars for years.   Once you have them, you simply will not want to go back.   Look around for a used set.  You will save a few bucks.

The wr450 is 275lbs before you start bolting stuff on to it.   Can you honestly feel the weight of the handlebars?

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:34 PM

The wr450 is 275lbs before you start bolting stuff on to it. Can you honestly feel the weight of the handlebars?

Reminder/note from MidlifeCrisisGuy that he has lightened his 2012 WR450F by 22 lbs coming in 3...2...1...
Just joking around, MCG!!

I guess I will offer a somewhat rare non-completely positive opinion on Flexx bars. In short, I think they're way over-rated. I've been running them on my WR for the past 8 months, and I've wanted to believe in them. I have pretty bad carpal tunnel syndrome on my left hand, and honestly both hands go to sleep pretty regularly. I have had this problem both before I put the Flexx bars on and since then. I ride a two hour race and 20 minutes into it, my hands are sound asleep (mostly my left, and I stretch my arm out every chance I get). I don't notice any particular impact absorption advantage - I've tried all the different bushings, currently on the softest and although the bars certainly flex, I can't say I've really seen an advantage that would make me buy them again. I have the stock ProTaper bars on my YZ250 and for whatever reason don't suffer the same problems on that bike, despite the fact that it doesn't vibrate less than the WR. Just different vibes I guess.

Anyway, one guy's opinion - lots of people run them and swear up and down they'll never ride without them again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cracker please

Posted August 20, 2014 - 02:27 AM

I'd probably get those twisted engineering bars if you could use normal handguards with them.  Not interested in buying another set plus that's where my turn signals are.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 20, 2014 - 05:02 AM

You think they do nothing much.....until you ride another bike without them.

• Jim Dandy

Posted August 20, 2014 - 05:36 AM

Thank You all for the comments. For now I believe I will just get the Scotts under mount stabilizer and keep the pro tapers, see how it feels and then if needed Ill go to a flex bar of some sort.

Cheers

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 20, 2014 - 06:02 AM

Reminder/note from MidlifeCrisisGuy that he has lightened his 2012 WR450F by 22 lbs coming in 3...2...1...
Just joking around, MCG!!

LOL.  I guess I've earned it.  

I guess I will offer a somewhat rare non-completely positive opinion on Flexx bars. In short, I think they're way over-rated. I've been running them on my WR for the past 8 months, and I've wanted to believe in them. I have pretty bad carpal tunnel syndrome on my left hand, and honestly both hands go to sleep pretty regularly. I have had this problem both before I put the Flexx bars on and since then. I ride a two hour race and 20 minutes into it, my hands are sound asleep (mostly my left, and I stretch my arm out every chance I get). I don't notice any particular impact absorption advantage - I've tried all the different bushings, currently on the softest and although the bars certainly flex, I can't say I've really seen an advantage that would make me buy them again. I have the stock ProTaper bars on my YZ250 and for whatever reason don't suffer the same problems on that bike, despite the fact that it doesn't vibrate less than the WR. Just different vibes I guess.

Then its your riding position or the WR forks are transmitting more jolt to the bars.  Or the steering is heavier on the WR or you have to hang on harder.

If the forks are jolting your bars, I'd spend the money on a revalve (or do it yourself) before I'd by flex bars.  Could you swap your YZ forks onto your WR for a test run ?   It would be very interesting to see how that played out.  They should bolt right up.   Both have 48mm forks and 56mm upper triple clamps.

• cracker please

Posted August 20, 2014 - 06:19 AM

Maybe the bar snake would help or some anti-vibe inserts.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:18 AM

LOL.  I guess I've earned it.  

Then its your riding position or the WR forks are transmitting more jolt to the bars.  Or the steering is heavier on the WR or you have to hang on harder.

If the forks are jolting your bars, I'd spend the money on a revalve (or do it yourself) before I'd by flex bars.  Could you swap your YZ forks onto your WR for a test run ?   It would be very interesting to see how that played out.  They should bolt right up.   Both have 48mm forks and 56mm upper triple clamps.

Ditto...  the flex bars are not a substitute for a proper suspension setup.   Nothing is a substitute for that.   It has to come first.

I have rubber mounted bar clamps and the softest elastomers on my flex bars (inner and outer).  I also use the thickest grips I can find...     I don't feel much vibration at all through the bars on my 2 stroke.  

• RMK800

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:43 AM

LOL. I guess I've earned it.

Then its your riding position or the WR forks are transmitting more jolt to the bars. Or the steering is heavier on the WR or you have to hang on harder.

If the forks are jolting your bars, I'd spend the money on a revalve (or do it yourself) before I'd by flex bars. Could you swap your YZ forks onto your WR for a test run ? It would be very interesting to see how that played out. They should bolt right up. Both have 48mm forks and 56mm upper triple clamps.

I just replaced my stock forks with SSS on my 2007 and I would say it's eliminated over half the numb vibration issues I have had. I still get them on longer rough sections but not nearly as often. IMO forks can make a big difference with this problem.

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 20, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Then its your riding position or the WR forks are transmitting more jolt to the bars. Or the steering is heavier on the WR or you have to hang on harder.

If the forks are jolting your bars, I'd spend the money on a revalve (or do it yourself) before I'd by flex bars. Could you swap your YZ forks onto your WR for a test run ? It would be very interesting to see how that played out. They should bolt right up. Both have 48mm forks and 56mm upper triple clamps.

I think you're right. That's one major difference with my YZ - its suspension has been revalved. I'm really thinking about just sending the WR stuff out. I go back and forth with just doing it myself - I'm capable, but not sure I feel like spending the time right now with trial and error. It would be faster and cheaper...

I could try my YZ forks in the WR, but the springs will be off a little.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 20, 2014 - 09:58 AM

I think you're right. That's one major difference with my YZ - its suspension has been revalved. I'm really thinking about just sending the WR stuff out. I go back and forth with just doing it myself - I'm capable, but not sure I feel like spending the time right now with trial and error. It would be faster and cheaper...

I could try my YZ forks in the WR, but the springs will be off a little.

We are all in the same league as far as suspension goes.   There are a lot of us that need to revalve.  I'm working on figuring out shimstacks so I can start right now.   

You'd be doing us all a big favor if you pulled a YZ fork apart and shared the shimstack formula - and then you could use it in your WR too.  Your YZ forks probably need servicing (new bushes and some slippery SKF fork seals ?) anyway ?  

Even if you don't share the shimstack formula from your YZ, there are several woods (YZ) formulas in the suspension forum and I should have one that works in the not too distant future. 

Your YZ springs will be a bit light.  But it should still give you a good idea on the damping characteristics and whether your wrist issue is rider position or not.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 20, 2014 - 09:59 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.