01 tranny problems

21 replies to this topic
  • Blueman

Posted January 28, 2002 - 03:09 PM

G-Man and all,

Back in September I posted a messages "YZ Premature Trans Problems" asking the same question as yours, have others experienced tranny problems with their 426 more importantly their 01 426. And how much? I too lost my tranny but I lost all gears, well, 3rd, 4th, and 5th but the others were showing wear so what the hell, its only money I replaced them all. $1100 in total. No real cause found, not hard riding, not improper lack of maintanence but as Yamaha put it "unfortunate circumstances". Not for them me...they offered no help. I still love my 426 and Yamaha, but man do I not sleep well when it falls out of gear or if I hear any strange noises while racing. Here is my orginal story. I think you may find as I did back in October when I paid the bill...stick with the bike, they are great just treat it the best you can and who knows maybe it wont become a trend. Believe it or not the only cause that could be even remotely determined was my two stroke riding style...not using the clutch all the times. Yeah...try swallowing that one. Check out my "How Stupid Am I" Story from 9/26/01. See Ya,

Blueman

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jasons

Posted January 28, 2002 - 03:51 PM

I had a problem with 3rd gear on my 01 after about 3 or 4 months and had to replace 5 gears and all of the shift forks. It cost about $350 in parts and has worked fine ever since. I believe it was due to a bent shift fork and then the dogs wearing. I replaced all of the forks and every gear that had any wear, just to be safe. I would kick myself if it failed agian because I didn't replace a $40 gear. Be careful when inspecting the shift forks. It is very hard to tell if they are straight or bent and I am not sure how to be completely sure. I replaced all three, again just to be safe.
Jason

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.