Upgrading to a new model oil pump

4 replies to this topic
  • dup1312

Posted August 18, 2014 - 05:14 PM

After some reading,should I upgrade the 2006 yz450f oil pump with the 07-09 oil pump and if so,what else needs changing while I'm there ?

• drtrcr400

Posted August 18, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how this is an upgrade if the part numbers are the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2014 - 07:37 PM

The only current replacement is PN 2S2-13300-10-00, which is in fact a revision of the original 2S2-13300-00-00 the '06  was produced with.  Yamaha apparently thinks they only need to make one, and considers this the better of the two.  My original is still working, though. 

• dup1312

Posted August 19, 2014 - 10:27 PM

So,is it a better oil pump? My stock oil pump works fine,I thought maybe the new pump puts out more oil or a higher pressure ?

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2014 - 06:57 AM

I'm not sure of the particular change made, but about the only thing would be a slightly thicker feed rotor set, which would increase the volume of that pump.  Volume is considerably more important than pressure, and the oil pressure isn't directly regulated by the pump assembly anyway. 

It may be related to some other change in the oiling system on the later bikes (like a bigger hole in the piston sprayer) that would make it important to use the new pump on the newer bikes.  My '06 seems to be happy with what it has, and the pump was in good shape when I saw it last.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.