'14 WR450f 100 Kms. Review.

8 replies to this topic
  • NewfieThumper

Posted August 18, 2014 - 03:05 PM

First off let me start out by saying I am not new to bikes. I have had many comp bikes for years and then when old enough I gravitated to the roads with street bikes of all kinds. The last bike I owned was a WR250x. Great little bike but its not a 450. I spent much time with the power commander and made a great map but still the power wasn`t there even after all the typical mods.

When a 2014 Wr450f came up for sale with only 190 kilometers I stuck the 250x up for sale and went after the 450. The kid was selling it because he had bought it for a yz450 like his buddies had but found it lacked power stock. He never knew about the throttle screw or plugged up exhaust. I can understand why...the bikes throttle only turned about 1/4 of the way.

When I got the bike home I took it for a romp around the yard and noted the throttle issue I read on here many times. I never rode it again until I pulled out the throttle screw and went to the local nut and bolt shop for a much shorter replacement.

The only other mod I did was remove the spark arrestor and smaller inner exhaust tip.

I did notice from the quick ride around the yard that the exhaust had gotten really hot, more so then I am used to. I figured it was due to the choked up exhaust everyone spoke about. I went to work and removed the end cap off the muffler and saw proof of my suspicions.

Here is what I found...notice the discoloration in the stainless. This is a sign of excessive heat caused by the restricted muffler.

20140812_081450.jpg

Behind this sits the spark arrestor where two tiny holes dump exhaust from the middle chamber of the muffler. Heres what that looks like...

20140812_082014.jpg

and here is the spark arrestor....

20140812_081941.jpg

After these few items were quickly accomplished it was off for a test drive with new shorter screw in throttle body and muffler end gutted.

There is a night and day difference with the bike. Stock form front end could barely lift off the ground and now its a wheelie machine. Like its smaller sibling the 250x these engines make there power high in the rpms so lack of throttle explains the difference. The muffler isn't as hot either. Now I was happy with the bike.

I called up a couple riding buddies and off we went for a spin and I introduced the new girl to her new BFF's a sexy little 09 KTM 400 XCW and a MILF status 06 RM250. Testing would have to wait as the KTM blew a rear tire about 10 kilometers in and we had to hobble back to the trucks. Up to that point the WR ran as good or better then the other two. Top end neither the RM or KTM could keep up on the dirt roads.

Ride #2 I gased up the bike and called up the old man and we went on a 65 kilometer round trip from his back yard, me with my WR and him on his atv on a wide range of trails from steep washed out rock covers roads to grassy bogs to fast woods roads where trucks drive no less then 70km/h. What I noticed is the bike on slow trails where your creeping 20 km/h or less tends to get very hot. You can see the antifreeze boiling in the catch can underneath the left rear fender. When speed picked up and air starting moving thru the rads everything went back to normal.

Just before we got back the fuel light went on at 65 kms. Read the manual and that puts the fuel remaining at 1/4 tank when the light goes on. My fuel range is about 87 kilometers per tank. I expected better. Not sure how the Yamaha fuel injection is programmed but my Polaris sled will start dumping fuel if the engine temp rises in an effort to cool down the engine. So I suspect the bike may have been doing that but some of you guru's might be able to chime in and set the record straight on this issue. The 65kms we travelled took 4 hours so most of the trip was slow going. Plus the atv had a harder time picking thru the trails and I had to wait often.

Overall I was very impressed with this bike and can see me keeping it for a long time. I also ordered the GYTR competition ECU.

Can anyone tell me if it comes loaded with a map or do you need the tuner right from the get go? I figured the latter. I have read on here that everyone saw a difference once the ECU is installed but it also comes with the new shorter throttle screw so I wonder if they only notice a difference from the screw itself!!!

Can the airbox be opened up air more? I did a Frogzskin Airbox mod to the Wr250x and it worked out great. Think I might try it out on the 450 as well when I look at it better. Here is a link to what I am talking about that I started on another forum for the Wrx....http://wr250rforum.f...skin-airbox-mod

Can this work other then removing the snorkel?

20140817_135107.jpg

• revelc

Posted August 18, 2014 - 04:29 PM

First off let me start out by saying I am not new to bikes. I have had many comp bikes for years and then when old enough I gravitated to the roads with street bikes of all kinds. The last bike I owned was a WR250x. Great little bike but its not a 450. I spent much time with the power commander and made a great map but still the power wasn`t there even after all the typical mods.
When a 2014 Wr450f came up for sale with only 190 kilometers I stuck the 250x up for sale and went after the 450. The kid was selling it because he had bought it for a yz450 like his buddies had but found it lacked power stock. He never knew about the throttle screw or plugged up exhaust. I can understand why...the bikes throttle only turned about 1/4 of the way.
When I got the bike home I took it for a romp around the yard and noted the throttle issue I read on here many times. I never rode it again until I pulled out the throttle screw and went to the local nut and bolt shop for a much shorter replacement.
The only other mod I did was remove the spark arrestor and smaller inner exhaust tip.
I did notice from the quick ride around the yard that the exhaust had gotten really hot, more so then I am used to. I figured it was due to the choked up exhaust everyone spoke about. I went to work and removed the end cap off the muffler and saw proof of my suspicions.
Here is what I found...notice the discoloration in the stainless. This is a sign of excessive heat caused by the restricted muffler.
attachicon.gif20140812_081450.jpg

Behind this sits the spark arrestor where two tiny holes dump exhaust from the middle chamber of the muffler. Heres what that looks like...
attachicon.gif20140812_082014.jpg

and here is the spark arrestor....
attachicon.gif20140812_081941.jpg

After these few items were quickly accomplished it was off for a test drive with new shorter screw in throttle body and muffler end gutted.
There is a night and day difference with the bike. Stock form front end could barely lift off the ground and now its a wheelie machine. Like its smaller sibling the 250x these engines make there power high in the rpms so lack of throttle explains the difference. The muffler isn't as hot either. Now I was happy with the bike.
I called up a couple riding buddies and off we went for a spin and I introduced the new girl to her new BFF's a sexy little 09 KTM 400 XCW and a MILF status 06 RM250. Testing would have to wait as the KTM blew a rear tire about 10 kilometers in and we had to hobble back to the trucks. Up to that point the WR ran as good or better then the other two. Top end neither the RM or KTM could keep up on the dirt roads.
Ride #2 I gased up the bike and called up the old man and we went on a 65 kilometer round trip from his back yard, me with my WR and him on his atv on a wide range of trails from steep washed out rock covers roads to grassy bogs to fast woods roads where trucks drive no less then 70km/h. What I noticed is the bike on slow trails where your creeping 20 km/h or less tends to get very hot. You can see the antifreeze boiling in the catch can underneath the left rear fender. When speed picked up and air starting moving thru the rads everything went back to normal.
Just before we got back the fuel light went on at 65 kms. Read the manual and that puts the fuel remaining at 1/4 tank when the light goes on. My fuel range is about 87 kilometers per tank. I expected better. Not sure how the Yamaha fuel injection is programmed but my Polaris sled will start dumping fuel if the engine temp rises in an effort to cool down the engine. So I suspect the bike may have been doing that but some of you guru's might be able to chime in and set the record straight on this issue. The 65kms we travelled took 4 hours so most of the trip was slow going. Plus the atv had a harder time picking thru the trails and I had to wait often.
Overall I was very impressed with this bike and can see me keeping it for a long time. I also ordered the GYTR competition ECU.
Can anyone tell me if it comes loaded with a map or do you need the tuner right from the get go? I figured the latter. I have read on here that everyone saw a difference once the ECU is installed but it also comes with the new shorter throttle screw so I wonder if they only notice a difference from the screw itself!!!
Can the airbox be opened up air more? I did a Frogzskin Airbox mod to the Wr250x and it worked out great. Think I might try it out on the 450 as well when I look at it better. Here is a link to what I am talking about that I started on another forum for the Wrx....http://wr250rforum.f...skin-airbox-mod
Can this work other then removing the snorkel?

attachicon.gif20140817_135107.jpg

The ECU comes with a new map. For further tweaking you need the tuner.

I responded in one of your previous posts saying the ECU made a difference WITHOUT the throttle screw. I installed it first and had to wait because my safety torx bits were at work. Adding the screw later on made an even bigger difference as you could use all of the power. An easy way to tell is run the bike with the stock ECU then switch to the other one and you'll see for yourself that it makes a difference.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Q4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• NewfieThumper

Posted August 18, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Interested to know how much yamaha left on the table with this bike. I find it powerful already can't wait for the ecu to show up. Anyone experience any deceleration popping? I'm getting it every now and then.

• revelc

Posted August 19, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Interested to know how much yamaha left on the table with this bike. I find it powerful already can't wait for the ecu to show up. Anyone experience any deceleration popping? I'm getting it every now and then.

Mine did a lot until I installed the ECU. Hasn't done it since. Did you ever end up choosing a new silencer?

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Q4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NewfieThumper

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:29 PM

Mine did a lot until I installed the ECU. Hasn't done it since. Did you ever end up choosing a new silencer?

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

No not yet...i just got the ecu today and ordered the tip with it. I'm thinking about drilling more holes in the end of the baffle to let more exhaust out. Are you positive the ecu comes with a preprogrammed map? the instructions with the ecu say it needs the tuner and comes with suggested maps.

• revelc

Posted August 20, 2014 - 01:49 PM

No not yet...i just got the ecu today and ordered the tip with it. I'm thinking about drilling more holes in the end of the baffle to let more exhaust out. Are you positive the ecu comes with a preprogrammed map? the instructions with the ecu say it needs the tuner and comes with suggested maps.

The tip won't let it breath any easier the internal baffle orifices are still small.

Humor me and ride the bike with stock ECU then stop and change the ECU to the new one. You will be able to see for yourself.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

• NewfieThumper

Posted August 20, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Your right.....smiles for miles....lol. exhaust note is louder with tip. Surface temp not as hot either so the heat is getting out.

• revelc

Posted August 22, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'm waiting for my Yoshi. I looked into them and went for it. I got a good deal on one after an issue with the availability of the Q4 FMF pipes. I will report with a sound clip when I get it on.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• idaho joe

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:47 AM

hey I finally did it I signed up ,  

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.