Crankcase Oil ?

3 replies to this topic
  • Markgyver05

Posted August 15, 2014 - 11:37 AM

I recently acquired a 98 YZ400F from a coworker that was moving.

Anyway I took everything down to adjust the valves.

Removed the plugs on they flywheel cover to find TDC what oil do I use to replenish the oil that came out when I removed the plug?

And do I just top it off to the top plug?

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2014 - 11:59 AM

Engine oil is carried in the frame.  If you had run the bike for as little as 30 seconds prior to working on it, even if you also let it sit an hour afterward, you would have lost no oil.  Start the engine, let it run for 30-60 seconds and shut it off.  Then fill the oil at the dip stick in front of the gas tank until the level is correct.

http://www.thumperta...odel-400s-426s/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markgyver05

Posted August 15, 2014 - 12:29 PM

I have started it let it idle for a few seconds then shut it off. I then checked and saw no oil so I did not want to run it any longer.

I will let it run a bit longer and see if I have oil. Also The dip stick is showing it topped off.

• grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2014 - 06:01 AM

Saw no oil where?  In the crankcase?  You shouldn't.  Once run up, the oil level in the crankcase and transmission should be below the level of the shifter.  If you wipe the stick and dip it without threading it, and it shows the correct oil level, that's it.  It's a Dry Sump oil system.    Read: http://www.thumperta...e/#entry4319538

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.