Shifter/Starter Safety Interlock

11 replies to this topic
  • mrgem

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:58 AM

My bike is a 2003 WR450 that is stock. Yesterday while out on a trail ride, I noticed that sometimes, hitting the e-start while in gear with the clutch pulled in did nothing. The starter would not spin unless I moved the shifter up or down.

When cleaning the bike at the end of the day, I see that there are safety interlock switches at both the shifter and in the clutch perch. The intent by Yamaha was clearly to make the bike impossible to start unless it was:

A) in neutral, or 

B) in gear with the clutch lever pulled in

I've done a search here and while there are posts on how to remove these switches, I don't see anything on adjustment. My question to you all is this: Can these switches be adjusted? Does bypassing or removing them have any ill effects?

TIA for your comments.

• stevethe

Posted August 15, 2014 - 06:20 AM

No adjustments I'm aware of, if you by pass them it could accidentally go forward if you hit the starter button. The YZ doesn't use them.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:29 AM

By pass (actually you short them)  them and forget they exist

• mrgem

Posted August 18, 2014 - 06:35 AM

OK....Seems to me that the most effective bypass method would be to short out the clutch perch switch -- That is to make it think the clutch is pulled in all the time. 

Agree?

• stevethe

Posted August 18, 2014 - 06:50 AM

OK....Seems to me that the most effective bypass method would be to short out the clutch perch switch -- That is to make it think the clutch is pulled in all the time. 

Agree?

Yes if you want to get rid of that feature.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:13 AM

Agree?

Because of the large amount of clutch drag on the WRs I have started removing the clutch switch on my bikes.   This prevents people

from trying to start them in gear which succeeds less than 50% of the time and just wears out the starter and the battery.   Even if you

tell them 100 times not to do it they still try so need to force the issue.   Would rather have them spend a few seconds finding neutral

and having a successful start that does not harm the equipment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Because of the large amount of clutch drag on the WRs I have started removing the clutch switch on my bikes.   This prevents people

from trying to start them in gear which succeeds less than 50% of the time and just wears out the starter and the battery.   Even if you

tell them 100 times not to do it they still try so need to force the issue.   Would rather have them spend a few seconds finding neutral

and having a successful start that does not harm the equipment.

Um they still will start in gear with the clutch in. The only thing the clutch switch does is allow it not to start without the clutch pulled in.

So far I am trying a Hinson clutch pack it seems to allow it to find neutral real easy. Don't know how long it will last.

• cracker please

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:10 AM

If you just unplug the switch and don't jump the wires together the starter doesn't work in gear.

• stevethe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:12 AM

If you just unplug the switch and don't jump the wires together the starter doesn't work in gear.

Interesting I always jumped mine.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 19, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Interesting I always jumped mine.

If you use the kickstarter, it will start in gear or not.   I am not worried about that.   What I don't like is people

pulling the clutch lever in and grinding on the starter with the bike in gear.    Too much clutch drag and too much

load and wear on the starter.  

With the clutch lever switch disconnected or removed, it prevents the starter motor from turning unless the

bike is in neutral.    

Removing the switch and jumping it seems a bit pointless since you need to pull the clutch anyway to try to

start the bike.    Unless you are just trying to remove a point of failure but I have never seen those switches

fail.

• cracker please

Posted August 19, 2014 - 11:50 AM

I put an easy clutch on so there's nowhere to hook it up.

• stevethe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:04 PM

It normally gets jumped when putting on a different purch without the provisions for the switch.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.