working hard at low speeds

7 replies to this topic
  • jrise

Posted August 15, 2014 - 04:15 AM

I ride a 2005 YZF450. I am 6'8" and 255 pounds. Although I look like a circus bear on this thing I love this bike and have it set up perfectly for me. My challenge is when I am making tight turns in low RPM I can really feel the bike working hard and thumping along trying to push me through. My question is do I want a smaller rear sprocket to bring the RPMs up as I turn or a bigger sprocket to bring them down ( I might have that backwards ). I have no issue with the power this bike has so loosing a little torque is OK with me if that is the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,        James

• tractorman06

Posted August 15, 2014 - 04:21 AM

I ride a 2005 YZF450. I am 6'8" and 255 pounds. Although I look like a circus bear on this thing I love this bike and have it set up perfectly for me. My challenge is when I am making tight turns in low RPM I can really feel the bike working hard and thumping along trying to push me through. My question is do I want a smaller rear sprocket to bring the RPMs up as I turn or a bigger sprocket to bring them down ( I might have that backwards ). I have no issue with the power this bike has so loosing a little torque is OK with me if that is the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much, James

If I understanding what your asking going up to bigger rear sprocket in the rear It will bring the rpm's up make it feel more torquey and won't struggle as much
I ride a 250 2t I went up 2 teeth on the rear it really helps in the tight single track I ride.

• NEKOOHC

Posted August 15, 2014 - 04:22 AM

A smaller front sprocket or bigger Rear will give better acceleration less top speed

A bigger front and smaller rear give less acceleration and a higher top speed .

• BushPig

Posted August 15, 2014 - 04:29 AM

Thanks much,        James

As people have said, more teeth on the rear means lower geared. 

Or, more teeth on the rear equals more revs at the same speed.

Follow tractor man and Chooken's advice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirteta

Posted August 15, 2014 - 02:55 PM

I've just changed my front from 14 to 13. So much easier to ride in the lower rpm. BTW, a front sprocket will in most cases by a lot cheaper to change in comparison to a rear.

• ratom98

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:51 PM

pick up a flywheel weight

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted August 20, 2014 - 02:14 PM

pick up a flywheel weight

Love mine. Well worth it. Helped with issue described.

• Will.A.R.

Posted August 20, 2014 - 08:51 PM

I got an 04 and we are similar in build. One tooth down on the front and a flywheel weight is all u should need. Night and day

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.