What's happenin thumpertalk! New to the dirt scene. I blew my racebike motor a few weeks ago and bought a WR just to stay on 2 wheels and to have some fun on local dirt roads and trails while I part the other bike out.
Just picked up the 2004 WR450F today, pretty sweet bike!! Decent condition I guess, and for $2300 I thought the price was right. Thing thumpers your whole body though, guess you thumper people are used to it. Pretty sure it has the free mods done and these jets: 165, 48, 70, 40, 0. I found these with the part numbers written down and the guy I bought it from said the first owner put them in (he thought anyway). But the bike rips and has the zip-ty and all that so I'm pretty sure it's set up right.
1. What's with the 0 leak jet, is that a plug?
2. New pads and the brakes are squeeking bad when pushing in neutral. Took caliper off, pins are easy to move, pistons move fine, rotor is straight. But the pistons were really uneven. I pushed them flush with the caliper at the lowest point of the piston then dremeled the high points flat so they hit the pad evenly. This didn't help. Why were they all worn and unevenly so? When wheel is lifted it is catching a lot of friction on the pads when you spin it. Is there a plunger that's adjustable at the master cylinder? Maybe fluid isn't alowed back up there and therefore keeping pistons/pads out too far?
3. Brake lever feels real soft, bled and no improvement. When braking, my ring and pinky fingers get squished, technique thing or is there supposed to be so much travel? If I pull hard I could prob touch lever to grip.
4. Front tire is dry rotting, looks like some of the knobs might break off, is that ok for now or no? Speaking of which, what tires are good and economical for dirt roads, trails, and maybe some dunes? Or should I def get paddles for dunes?...
5. Front wheel is bent, can you bent these back if they're not bad? It's not a huge deal but it is bent.
6. My weight is 190 lb, what are the stock springs set for? Can I find a chart? Not sure if my springs are stock, so what sag numbers do you go with?
7. Rear light isn't working at all. Might be bulb, haven't checked but I need a brake light anyway. How do you hook up lights to be street legal? I hope there's an easy bolt on switch.
8. About bike geometry, are there any preferred settings other than stock? Is the swingarm angle adjustable or no? Should forks be flush with top triple?
Thanks for any replies.