Durability/reliability of using a 450 exhaust cam in a 426

No replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted August 14, 2014 - 07:34 AM

I am going to finally get rid of the manual decompression on my WR426 and have been reading old posts and such regarding using an OEM WR450 exhaust cam vs the HotCam made specifically for the WR426.

I like the idea of more low/mid power from a 450 cam but I am concerned with the durability associated by the different gear pitch of the cam.  

Is this REALLY an issue or has it been blown out of proportion?  What has been the consensus over the years when using the 450 exhaust cam?  Has it caused any cam chain failures, or any other issues I should be aware of/concerned about?

I am probably over-thinking this, beating a dead horse, and splitting hairs but I want to be sure I make the right decision.

Thanks a bunch.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.