YZF 450 Air Flow Through Camshaft Breather Pipe ?

8 replies to this topic
  • mla2k4mla2k4

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Hi everyone, 

Im going abit mad, I was at my local track on Saturday and for the first time ever I noticed that there was a considerable flow of air out of the breather pipe coming from the camshaft cover (about as hard as you could blow through the pipe if you tried only continuous)

so my question is, is this normal?? I've never noticed anything like this before.

My mind is torn between the optimistic dont worry the camshafts are spinning that must be the cause....

and terrible thoughts of cracked heads and leaking valves (seals?)

other notable points:

the air is not smokey, or particularly warm or hot

another breather is present that goes to the frame - this is also pressurised the same

Can anyone with a similar bike check this for me??
or anyone with similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for the help I dont have anyone i can ask locally

edit: The bike is a 2003 yzf 450 - No mods

Edited by mla2k4mla2k4, August 13, 2014 - 05:57 AM.

• mla2k4mla2k4

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:58 AM

Hi everyone, 

Im going abit mad, I was at my local track on Saturday and for the first time ever I noticed that there was a considerable flow of air out of the breather pipe coming from the camshaft cover (about as hard as you could blow through the pipe if you tried only continuous)

so my question is, is this normal?? I've never noticed anything like this before.

My mind is torn between the optimistic dont worry the camshafts are spinning that must be the cause....

and terrible thoughts of cracked heads and leaking valves (seals?)

other notable points:

the air is not smokey, or particularly warm or hot

another breather is present that goes to the frame - this is also pressurised the same

Can anyone with a similar bike check this for me??
or anyone with similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for the help I dont have anyone i can ask locally

edit: The bike is a 2003 yzf 450 - No mods

• Danpadula

Posted August 13, 2014 - 06:14 AM

If you can wait till 7 ill let you know!

• bikedude987

Posted August 13, 2014 - 06:46 AM

it's called the crankcase breather.  It normalizes pressure when the piston moves up and down (changing volume inside the crankcase just like it does in the cylinder).  A lot of people route this into the airbox so it stays clean, preferably on the filtered side.

and YES, that much air movement is normal.

Edited by bikedude987, August 13, 2014 - 06:46 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billygildark5007

Posted August 13, 2014 - 09:34 AM

It's normal you've just never noticed it before.

• minimadness047

Posted August 13, 2014 - 04:52 PM

Ya it's normal Like bikedude987 stated it's for relieving crankcase pressure when the piston goes up/down

• EnglertRacing

Posted August 13, 2014 - 09:11 PM

if theres alot it could be whats called BLOWBY

which is an indication you need new rings.

• mla2k4mla2k4

Posted August 14, 2014 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for the reply's guys, after looking some more i could find one thread that said 'all is fine' as well. So now I can relax a little :)

I'm happy with that because I've had plenty of trouble with it already so paranoia is setting in.

What I don't understand with all the answers is the reasoning why though?:

I'm obviously missing something, but how is the camshaft cavity connected to the crankcase cavity? there are no breather pipes linking the two so how can piston movement/blow by be the cause of air movement up there?

• mla2k4mla2k4

Posted August 14, 2014 - 12:54 AM

Ah what a moron....... where the camchain runs

wish I thought of that last weekend.

Thanks again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.