2012 WR450R High Elevation Mapping?

Fuel & Air EFI Programmers

6 replies to this topic
  • stewart_frank

Posted August 11, 2014 - 11:07 AM

I’m about to take a trip to Cloudcroft NM and was wandering if there was or If I even need to worry about a high elevation ECU map? The bike is fully uncorked and has the comp computer with the FMF map with the GYTR FMF pipe on. Runs great at sea level. The highest elevation there is 8600 feet. Do I even need to worry about it?

Thanks

Stewart   

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 11, 2014 - 11:46 AM

When you get there, start the bike, and let it get warm. Ride it if you want.

Then kill the motor for 30 seconds. Restart the motor using NO THROTTLE, and let it idle for a minute.

Kill the motor.

Re start, and now you will have re-set the mapping via the MAP and TEMP sensors reset,  for your current altitude.

You should do this for every change in air pressure or tempreture. 

• stewart_frank

Posted August 12, 2014 - 03:40 AM

Cool! Is that procedure in the manual somewhere?

Thanks
Stewart

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:22 AM

Cool! Is that procedure in the manual somewhere?

Thanks
Stewart

Nope, not in the manual.

It's what Keihin told me to do when I asked them why my POS KTM constantly had running issues.

• stewart_frank

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:39 AM

Ok cool! Thanks for the reply.

Stewart

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 12, 2014 - 08:26 AM

THe 2012+ WR450Fs sense air flow based on throttle position and manifold pressure.  At higher elevations manifold pressure drops and the WRs automatically adjust the fuel accordingly.  

I was at 8,000 feet on a ride on the weekend.   My bike ran great.   Best hill climber of the bunch, including  a trio of KTM 300s, as judged by a KTM rider himself after climbing a hill on my bike.  He couldn't believe how controllable the power was and how you could shut it down and have the engine instantly respond when you crack it again.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 12, 2014 - 08:27 AM.

• stewart_frank

Posted August 12, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the reply's guys. Leaving Thur morning for Cloudcroft! :ride:  

Stewart

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.