Starting technique 02 426

7 replies to this topic
  • prodigymark

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:17 PM

I finally got to go on my first good ride with my newly purchased 02 426, I have watched YouTube videos on starting the bike, it runs fantastic. I can't seem to follow the link people have tried to post to me. Explain to me please. When finding the sweet spot, do you keep the decompression lever pulled in when kicking it to start or just use the decompression to get to the spot and kick it freely? I feel foolish asking but it's my first big four and I don't want to invest in the hot cam just yet.

• AKmotoXrider907

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:21 AM

I have the same bike. DONT TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN STARTING!! And only pull in the decomp lever to get barely past TDC or it won't start. It takes a little while to get used too, but once you know how your bike likes to start, only you will be able to start it easily! Try different ways for different situations (flooded, stalled, etc. ) and find out what works best. You should hardly have to use the hot start or cold start unless it's your first startup for the day, then turn it off as soon as it starts. And if you dump it, shut off the gas first!! It'll make life a lot easier. Trust me....

• prodigymark

Posted August 11, 2014 - 06:54 AM

Thanks I appreciate it, I have an aluminum thumb style compression release, sucks bad. I had been trying to find the sweet spot and kicking with the release pulled in and trying to release it midway... Idiot advice from friends had me kicking the life out of myself when I went riding. I'm going to go practice starting it lol

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:10 AM

I finally got to go on my first good ride with my newly purchased 02 426, I have watched YouTube videos on starting the bike, it runs fantastic. I can't seem to follow the link people have tried to post to me. Explain to me please. When finding the sweet spot, do you keep the decompression lever pulled in when kicking it to start or just use the decompression to get to the spot and kick it freely? I feel foolish asking but it's my first big four and I don't want to invest in the hot cam just yet.

I posted these for you earlier, I believe.  Maybe not:

http://api.viglink.c...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://api.viglink.c...troke_vid_b.mpg

Watch and listen.  With your hands off the compression release, advance the engine until you feel "the hard spot", which is the start of the compression stroke.  At this point, you are about 110 degrees away from TDC, and there is too much air to compress for you to kick it over.  What you are trying to do next is to shorten that compression stroke so you won't have to squash so much air in order to get over the top.  So, pull the compression release and move the kick crank about ONE INCH or so farther, let go of the compression release, and reset the kick starter back to the top of its stroke.  The piston will be closer to 20-40 degrees ahead of TDC, and you'll have a much easier time kicking it past the spark and over the top.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • prodigymark

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Thanks guys I really appreciate your time in helping me with newbie questions

• prodigymark

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:06 AM

Started third kick, first and second kick every time since lol

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:39 AM

Amazing how well things work when you do it right, eh?

• prodigymark

Posted August 11, 2014 - 06:28 PM

Yeah definately, such a sigh of relief... I now start it in flip flops just to get my jollies lol

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.