Just got my first WR450 - 2005

Yamaha WR450F 2005 Yamaha WR450F

33 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 16, 2014 - 10:47 AM

I bought a 2005 WR450F from a guy yesterday that appears to be in good shape for the year.  

56D3046F-591F-49E0-9D87-B191260B0039_zps

That bike is beautiful for any year!        Nice bike.  I had an 05 and rode it for 7 years before selling it.  That's a beauty.

• graytshirt

Posted August 16, 2014 - 04:01 PM

+ 1 on pivot works.

You can NEVER go wrong with OEM. All depends on how much money you have to spend.

Was going to try to get new wheel bearings today, but "Dad stuff" prevented me from getting to it.  Maybe tomorrow... I live about 15 minutes from a relatively large online parts/gear retailer and can get over there an get new bearings if mine are shot.  Chances are I should just be able to clean them up and grease them, right?  Do you guys recommend any specific grease?  Was going to use Lucas Red grease, but I do not have my heart set on that.  Thanks to all of you that have chimed in!

That bike is beautiful for any year!        Nice bike.  I had an 05 and rode it for 7 years before selling it.  That's a beauty.

Thanks Man!  Its been raining every time I've had time to go ride, but that is giving me more time to go over it and check all of the normal stuff mentioned in the model specific threads on this site.  I have made a few quick trips out on it but no real trails yet, starting to get a twitch...ha!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 16, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Was going to try to get new wheel bearings today, but "Dad stuff" prevented me from getting to it.  Maybe tomorrow... I live about 15 minutes from a relatively large online parts/gear retailer and can get over there an get new bearings if mine are shot.  Chances are I should just be able to clean them up and grease them, right?  Do you guys recommend any specific grease?  Was going to use Lucas Red grease, but I do not have my heart set on that.  Thanks to all of you that have chimed in!

Thanks Man!  Its been raining every time I've had time to go ride, but that is giving me more time to go over it and check all of the normal stuff mentioned in the model specific threads on this site.  I have made a few quick trips out on it but no real trails yet, starting to get a twitch...ha!

I always used a synthetic bearing grease from the local auto parts store. That will be just fine. Besides, you are going to add a little grease every time you change a tire and not let it  get so bad, right?    

Aren't the new bearings sealed?   Mine were and I just added a little grease to the axle.   add a little behind the rubber boot on the brake caliper pin as well.   Doesn't hurt.    

damn I miss that bike that I had...       For the sake of nostalgia, here was mine after I stripped it down to the frame, cleaned it up and put it back together.     For some silly reason, I sold it soon after I got finished.

055BikeFinal02.jpg

Edited by mauricedorris, August 16, 2014 - 08:04 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 16, 2014 - 07:59 PM

:ride:

Edited by mauricedorris, August 16, 2014 - 08:03 PM.

• graytshirt

Posted August 17, 2014 - 05:16 AM

I always used a synthetic bearing grease from the local auto parts store. That will be just fine. Besides, you are going to add a little grease every time you change a tire and not let it  get so bad, right?    

Aren't the new bearings sealed?   Mine were and I just added a little grease to the axle.   add a little behind the rubber boot on the brake caliper pin as well.   Doesn't hurt.    

damn I miss that bike that I had...       For the sake of nostalgia, here was mine after I stripped it down to the frame, cleaned it up and put it back together.     For some silly reason, I sold it soon after I got finished.

055BikeFinal02.jpg

Do you have a build thread on this? That thing looks awesome? Any details on the top clamp (triple tree) setup and which tank you had? Good point about the bearings being sealed.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 17, 2014 - 09:37 PM

Do you have a build thread on this? That thing looks awesome? Any details on the top clamp (triple tree) setup and which tank you had? Good point about the bearings being sealed.

I "had" a very full and detailed build thread on it.    But Thumpertalk went through a few changes which basically delete the thread.  It was a shame though     I stripped it down to the frame, painted the frame , then replaced all the bearings, valve job, cleaned and clear coated the wheels, HID headlight, etc...    What made the thread cool was that everyone was chiming in advising me through every step of the process.      You get amazing support here on thumpertalk.

I took tons of pictures and documented everything.   Here are a few pics... but, all of them can be seen if you go to http://www.pdis.com/stuff/wr450

Enjoy...

001BeforeBikeLeft1.JPG

006BikeFrameStripped2.jpg

021FramePaintClearCoat.jpg

048BikeReassembly02.jpg

055BikeFinal02.jpg

056budget.JPG

• graytshirt

Posted August 18, 2014 - 12:50 PM

I "had" a very full and detailed build thread on it.    But Thumpertalk went through a few changes which basically delete the thread.  It was a shame though     I stripped it down to the frame, painted the frame , then replaced all the bearings, valve job, cleaned and clear coated the wheels, HID headlight, etc...    What made the thread cool was that everyone was chiming in advising me through every step of the process.      You get amazing support here on thumpertalk.

I took tons of pictures and documented everything.   Here are a few pics... but, all of them can be seen if you go to http://www.pdis.com/stuff/wr450

Enjoy...

021FramePaintClearCoat.jpg

I wish that thread was still here.  Did you just do a base coat / clear coat paint job on the frame?  Was your swing arm powder coated or sprayed?  I bought this bike thinking I'd do something similar, it looks like you did a good job of sourcing economical parts.  Thanks for the info and the pics!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 18, 2014 - 02:04 PM

I wish that thread was still here.  Did you just do a base coat / clear coat paint job on the frame?  Was your swing arm powder coated or sprayed?  I bought this bike thinking I'd do something similar, it looks like you did a good job of sourcing economical parts.  Thanks for the info and the pics!

Swingarm is a protector from www.hyderacing.com

go to www.colorrite.com and find the correct paint color.  They have a kit with everything you will need.

Be sure to sand/wire wheel all the rust away.   Don't be afraid to go down to the metal if you have to.  

Then scuff up any paint that is there to create a bonding surface.

Then use an etching primer on the bare metal parts only

Then use a primer on the whole thing.  Sand it smooth before painting, reapply primer as needed.

Then use the color rite paint   (I used the rattle can, you only need one can for a frame.)

Then put a high gloss polyurethane clear coat   (3 or 4 coats, lightly sanding between)

I did it with the rattle cans and it came out pretty good.    I did one light coat per day, allowing each one to dry before the next one.   

• aust014

Posted August 21, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Nice bike are you going to motard it? I have a 05 wr450 my finest achievements so far is installing a fan :thumbsup:  also put a 2013 headlight which needs to be aimed better..

wr4501_zpscfe95e79.jpg

• graytshirt

Posted August 26, 2014 - 05:22 AM

Nice bike are you going to motard it? I have a 05 wr450 my finest achievements so far is installing a fan :thumbsup:  also put a 2013 headlight which needs to be aimed better..

Thanks, I plan on dual sporting it just to make it easier to hit the trails around my house, but its primary use will be off road.

• graytshirt

Posted August 26, 2014 - 05:38 AM

So far I've re-jetted the carb, replaced the petcock, ordered new bearings, and I'm currently in the process of removing the AIS.  I have a kit but its for a 2007  :banghead: , so I am using oil galley plugs referenced in the economical AIS removal thread.  Prior to starting this work, the bike seemed to overheat easily.  I'm wondering if while I have the bike apart if I should replace the radiators with some aftermarket once to remedy the heat issue.  There do not seem to be that many options for aftermarket solutions.  What are most of you guys running in regards to radiators?

• graytshirt

Posted August 26, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Just an update...I had to remove the right radiator today in order to complete the AIS removal on the bike.  In doing so, I had to drain the coolant which was far easier than I had imagined.  Once getting everything buttoned up, I refilled my radiator and over flow with Engine Ice coolant.  I took the bike for a quick spin once getting all of the pieces back together and to my surprise it started right up and ran very strong with no pop on decel.  I seems like the jetting is spot on, but I didn't get to hammer on it much due to time and space constraints.  After playing with my idle screw to get the idle worked out, I noticed that my bike wasn't boiling over and like it would've before I installed the JD jet kit and added the Engine Ice coolant.  I hope to get out on it some this week, so hopefully I'll be able to report back on the results.  I plan to continue tinkering with it and hopefully this winter tear it down and repaint the frame, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.  :ride:

My carb jetting currently is:

170 Main

#50 Pilot

JD Blue needle with clip on 3rd notch from the top

O-ring mod in carb

R&D fuel screw 2 full turns out

I still have a R&D racing Power Bowl 2 with adjustable leak jet on order from the TT store and once it is delivered I intend to take the carb back out and install that to complete my carb setup.  I have a list of items I want to modify, swap, or buy for the bike but the list is growing daily.  Ha!  I think for now I'm going to stick with my stock radiators until I see a reason to replace them.  I am however looking at some radiator guards.  I'm currently comparing DeVol, Flatland Racing, and Unabiker.  If any of you have any experience to share in those areas, please feel free to chime in.  Otherwise I'll just employ the search function.

• aust014

Posted August 27, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Just an update...I had to remove the right radiator today in order to complete the AIS removal on the bike.  In doing so, I had to drain the coolant which was far easier than I had imagined.  Once getting everything buttoned up, I refilled my radiator and over flow with Engine Ice coolant.  I took the bike for a quick spin once getting all of the pieces back together and to my surprise it started right up and ran very strong with no pop on decel.  I seems like the jetting is spot on, but I didn't get to hammer on it much due to time and space constraints.  After playing with my idle screw to get the idle worked out, I noticed that my bike wasn't boiling over and like it would've before I installed the JD jet kit and added the Engine Ice coolant.  I hope to get out on it some this week, so hopefully I'll be able to report back on the results.  I plan to continue tinkering with it and hopefully this winter tear it down and repaint the frame, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.  :ride:

My carb jetting currently is:

170 Main

#50 Pilot

JD Blue needle with clip on 3rd notch from the top

O-ring mod in carb

R&D fuel screw 2 full turns out

I still have a R&D racing Power Bowl 2 with adjustable leak jet on order from the TT store and once it is delivered I intend to take the carb back out and install that to complete my carb setup.  I have a list of items I want to modify, swap, or buy for the bike but the list is growing daily.  Ha!  I think for now I'm going to stick with my stock radiators until I see a reason to replace them.  I am however looking at some radiator guards.  I'm currently comparing DeVol, Flatland Racing, and Unabiker.  If any of you have any experience to share in those areas, please feel free to chime in.  Otherwise I'll just employ the search function.

I have the DeVol radiator guards on my 05 WR450 they seem strong and would hold up to something ramming into them, but have never had that happen yet.. 

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:50 PM

The moose racing radiator guards are the best ones.    More importantly, when I replaced the stock radiators with the chinese one from ebay, which were bigger, stronger and much beefier, I was able to make them fit over them.  The other radiator guards did not work on the bigger radiators.   I know this because I tried.

Just sayin...

Here is a pic of mine when I replace them.   

012RadiatorCompareBack.JPG

013RadiatorCompareTop.JPG

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.