Ressurection YZ426F

80 replies to this topic
  • YZ Yankee

Posted October 28, 2014 - 12:23 PM

I've got YZ426, love my bike, but it doesn't have the power it's suppose to have.
It's got hot cams..how do your do a compression test on that?

• stonefort

Posted October 28, 2014 - 12:33 PM

Not sure, I never have done a compression test on a 4t MX bike. I went by "feel" on mine.

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2014 - 01:31 PM

I've got YZ426, love my bike, but it doesn't have the power it's suppose to have.
It's got hot cams..how do your do a compression test on that?

Conventional compression tests are of no use on bikes like the 426 even without the auto decompression cam.  Have a shop do a leak down test on it.  Far more definitive.

• YZ Yankee

Posted October 28, 2014 - 02:20 PM

I try to do my own work..any suggestions?

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2014 - 06:10 AM

Buy a leak down tester.

• stonefort

Posted October 29, 2014 - 01:03 PM

delete.

Edited by RBI, October 29, 2014 - 01:12 PM.

• stonefort

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Does any one know if foot pegs from say an 06 yz450 swap over to the 02 426? Cheap factory Ti 450 pegs all over ebay.

• YZ Yankee

Posted October 31, 2014 - 03:40 PM

I just put some wider Turner pegs on mine...wider pegs way better!

Edited by YZ Yankee, October 31, 2014 - 03:40 PM.

• stonefort

Posted November 04, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Well, the carbon clutch cover came in. It is way cool looking....but it does not fit. It is apparently made for a yz400 and they have a slightly smaller clutch cover. (Thanks for the info Grayracer) 

What a shame. Second picture shows the gasket that came with the carbon cover laid over my factory clutch cover.....ever so smaller. On its way back to the ebay seller for a refund.

u8S5x4.jpg  9ObBt6.jpg

I also managed to get in touch with Mike_dean. Extremely nice fellow. He was able to piece me together one of his coil on plug conversions that were popular for the 426. Thanks Mike!

The conversion was super easy, the hardest part was grinding away the old mounts. As you can see, I just threw some black paint on to prevent rust. Not terribly worried about the frame paint...it has not held up well!

It should make carb adjustments much easier.

Before, and after

PVmN5m.jpg    zGGPUS.jpg

Here is what the kit looks like.

2m8DsC.jpg

Old rubber boot cut to fit new coil....above is the old spark wire.

rCvWnI.jpg

Also in the works is an oversize bar top clamp. With the current oversize adapter, my bars are just way too high. The more I ride, the more I don't like it.

I was able to get a used Applied Racing top clamp on ebay for $60 total. Should be in this week...lets hope it's not another ebay dud.

Further down the road I plan to do the full 450 plastics swap. Should shed a good amount of weight, and modernize the ergos. I am planning to spread out the purchase of ebay parts. Already got a nice sub frame coming for $35 total.

• mike_dean

Posted November 04, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Glad it worked out, thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stonefort

Posted November 06, 2014 - 02:15 PM

This ebay part was not a dud! Already feels better. Can't wait to try it out.

Also got the refund back on the clutch cover. :ride:

QCtdUn.jpg

• YZ Yankee

Posted November 06, 2014 - 02:21 PM

I have that same triple clamp...came with the bike when I bought it.

• YZ Yankee

Posted November 06, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Well, the carbon clutch cover came in. It is way cool looking....but it does not fit. It is apparently made for a yz400 and they have a slightly smaller clutch cover. (Thanks for the info Grayracer)

What a shame. Second picture shows the gasket that came with the carbon cover laid over my factory clutch cover.....ever so smaller. On its way back to the ebay seller for a refund.

u8S5x4.jpg9ObBt6.jpg

I also managed to get in touch with Mike_dean. Extremely nice fellow. He was able to piece me together one of his coil on plug conversions that were popular for the 426. Thanks Mike!
The conversion was super easy, the hardest part was grinding away the old mounts. As you can see, I just threw some black paint on to prevent rust. Not terribly worried about the frame paint...it has not held up well!

It should make carb adjustments much easier.

Before, and after

PVmN5m.jpgzGGPUS.jpg

Here is what the kit looks like.

2m8DsC.jpg

Old rubber boot cut to fit new coil....above is the old spark wire.

rCvWnI.jpg

Also in the works is an oversize bar top clamp. With the current oversize adapter, my bars are just way too high. The more I ride, the more I don't like it.

I was able to get a used Applied Racing top clamp on ebay for $60 total. Should be in this week...lets hope it's not another ebay dud.

Further down the road I plan to do the full 450 plastics swap. Should shed a good amount of weight, and modernize the ergos. I am planning to spread out the purchase of ebay parts. Already got a nice sub frame coming for $35 total.

Was the coil change for performance or just to allow easier access to the carb?

• stonefort

Posted November 06, 2014 - 02:43 PM

Trickness :cool: and easier access. I am not a very sensitive rider, I wouldn't notice the slight increase in power if it had any.

• YZ Yankee

Posted November 06, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Think changing the shock oil and recharging the nitro would make a big difference? , bought my bike last year..have no idea of the shock maintenance record.

• stonefort

Posted November 06, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Oh yeah. These bikes are over a decade old.

• YZ Yankee

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Imagine if it's the original oil! Lol

Edited by YZ Yankee, November 06, 2014 - 07:43 PM.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted November 08, 2014 - 10:20 AM

To OP : If you have not yet returned the clutch cover I would take it off your hands.
Good idea on the coil mod, I have to get to that ! You think Mike Dean would make me
up another kit ?

Edited by Shawbridge Husky, November 08, 2014 - 10:22 AM.

• stonefort

Posted November 10, 2014 - 08:02 AM

To OP : If you have not yet returned the clutch cover I would take it off your hands.
Good idea on the coil mod, I have to get to that ! You think Mike Dean would make me
up another kit ?

Dang I am sorry man, I sent it back. Want me to see if I can get you in touch with the seller?

And yes, send Mike a msg.

Edited by RBI, November 10, 2014 - 08:03 AM.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted November 10, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Yeah that would be great thanks !

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.