2002 426f... So hard to start

4 replies to this topic
  • prodigymark

Posted August 07, 2014 - 01:01 PM

I just purchased the bike, always wanted a thumper, but was a 90s two stroke kid, it's very difficult to start, the compression release is a metal thumb style release and is a pain in the ass/thumb!

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2014 - 01:46 PM

Look at the right front corner of the head and see if there is a lever with a cable connected to it there.  Thumb levers are generally aftermarket hot start levers. 

Meanwhile, here's how it's done:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • prodigymark

Posted August 07, 2014 - 02:03 PM

It has a red choke, I thought that was the hot start

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2014 - 06:36 AM

OK, if it still has the red knob on the carb, the thumb lever is not an aftermarket hot start kit.  You might want to run out and get the correct lever, or you can convert the engine to automatic decompression by installing a stage one exhaust cam from Hot Cams. 

Either way, the procedure shown in the videos will help you get it going as long as you have the manual setup in place.  The other thing that's really important is having the idle mixture tuned right.  Makes a huge difference.

• prodigymark

Posted August 08, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thank you for the insight, I would definately like to do the stage one exhaust cam in the near future, I will definately get the idle mixture checked when I have the valves checked. I feel really ignorant and almost intimidated by the mechanics of the big four strokes. This has all been really helpful. It is settling... I had gotten worried when the head pipe glowed when it sat and idled, the small engine noise had me freaking too. The guys here have really helped me understand the nature of the beast

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.