Problem with 14 450s

Yamaha YZ450F 2014

56 replies to this topic
  • WR450HOOLIGAN

TT Newbie

23 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 17, 2014 - 07:38 AM

just checking . I'm doing this today with a few other things .

What else do ya have planned?

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Lubing the triple clamps shock linkage/swingarm tightening spokes ect and putting on the 1/4 turn airbox fastners

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 08:01 AM

And some PC shroud intake pure filters

• Bremer120

TT Bronze Member

239 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 09:51 AM

Yes i did the blue locktite

When you pulled the old stopper out did you by chance feel if the bearing had any wear or rough spots. I think I'll update this soon. Also it looks like you didn't have to take the clutch assembly off?

• WR450HOOLIGAN

TT Newbie

23 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 17, 2014 - 01:23 PM

When you pulled the old stopper out did you by chance feel if the bearing had any wear or rough spots. I think I'll update this soon. Also it looks like you didn't have to take the clutch assembly off?

The bearing spun perfectly fine and showed no wear. I use bearings at work all the time and it seemed practically new. But that doesn't mean the outter race couldn't crack/break releasing the balls. And you are correct I replaced it with the clutch assembly still installed.

• Bremer120

TT Bronze Member

239 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 02:54 PM

The bearing spun perfectly fine and showed no wear. I use bearings at work all the time and it seemed practically new. But that doesn't mean the outter race couldn't crack/break releasing the balls. And you are correct I replaced it with the clutch assembly still installed.

Ok cool. Yeah you're right, the races seem fairly thin on those little bearings.

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Just did mine for peace of mind. 2.8 Hrs on the bike and it looks fine obviously. But I can sleep now and I've got a cool key chain!
  • WR450HOOLIGAN and DanielMerrick like this
  • Like This

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Here are some pics

Attached Thumbnails

• 1408342290401.jpg
  • 1408342303286.jpg
  • 1408342316615.jpg
  • 1408342337905.jpg

• nicky-san, Drenmaster and DanielMerrick like this
  • Like This

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 04:44 AM

Just be aware if you slide the shifter side to slide while checking the functions the shaft with the arrow (shifter) can slide right and disconnect the pin it hooks on . And if you put it together with it disconnected you won't be able to shift.. ask me how I know -_- but I pulled it apart fixed it all is good scared the s&&$# out of me :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 1408365887484.jpg

• JDrider and DanielMerrick like this
  • Like This

• WR450HOOLIGAN

TT Newbie

23 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 18, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Just did mine for peace of mind. 2.8 Hrs on the bike and it looks fine obviously. But I can sleep now and I've got a cool key chain!

YZ just curious what you torqued the crakcase cover bolts down to. Or if you did at all. The manual had specs but wasn't clear that it was talking about these bolts or not. What i got from it was to torque them to 10NM which i believe is 90 inch lbs. I did torque all to this but i was afraid it would end up like that one clutch cover bolt on my old WR... Broken. Was sweating bullets tightening each one.

Just be aware if you slide the shifter side to slide while checking the functions the shaft with the arrow (shifter) can slide right and disconnect the pin it hooks on . And if you put it together with it disconnected you won't be able to shift.. ask me how I know -_- but I pulled it apart fixed it all is good scared the s&&$# out of me :D

post-359364-14083658724676_thumb.jpg

Also had the red metal rods to the left of your arrow come off once. That had me wondering if my bike was going to shift because i wasnt sure if i had it all back on right. All was fine though.

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Honestly I used a short ratchet to tighten the bolts "snug" I know the tq for them is around 10 lbs not much .

• boegey

TT Member

74 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Still waiting on my parts lol about another week I think they said so are you all putting loctite on that bolt? Is it just the normal loctite stuff??

• grayracer513
42,881 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 18, 2014 - 01:02 PM

just curious what you torqued the crakcase cover bolts down to. Or if you did at all. The manual had specs but wasn't clear that it was talking about these bolts or not.

The manual is pretty clear, IMO: 10Nm/7.2 ft/lb (86 in/lb).  Dry threads.

When this problem came up the first time, it was in '07, and the problem was supposed to affect the '06 model.  I believe that in all the panic over it, there were perhaps 4 people who reported an actual failure.  The problem was resolved the same way; by subbing a "stopper arm" that had a simple metal roller on a pin.  Then the '08 came out with the ball bearing stopper arm again. 

I never replaced either of them in in the two '06's I've owned.  If this current episode is no more serious than the previous, I wouldn't spend much time worrying over it.

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Yeah the stoppet arm with the ball bearing seems like a solid piece ..like it would take a lot to bust it but I don't mind spending 30$ to possibly prevent a much more expensive repair. And a plus it shifts easier and its easier to find natural .

• boegey

TT Member

74 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 06:29 PM

Yer that's exactly my view on it I'd rather have the piece of mind that my brand new bike isn't gonna completely shit itself because of something I could have avoided

• WR450HOOLIGAN

TT Newbie

23 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 18, 2014 - 09:18 PM

So it seems the 14 450 doesn't have any actual documented issues. I did see one member had 2 hours or so on his bike and the motor locked up? If I remember correctly but never figured out why. Other than that though there's 14' 450's out there with some higher hours and 0 issues. I'd say Yamaha did a phenomenal job for All the changes they made for the 14. The only thing I worried about was the valve change but from what I have read they'll only move once in 100 hours lol. They made this bike so easy to maintain with one drain bolt and only 3 bolts to clean the air filter. Raw power, reliable, and well balanced. Can't ask for much more!

• boegey

TT Member

74 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 11:07 PM

As far as I know I think your right it's just there's a fair few 250s with the problem and they share the same part and the part has been changed so if you order that same part now you'll get the new one and it's on all the "15 so I'm just changing mine just incase

• boegey

TT Member

74 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hi I'm I just did this to my 450 and it changes really smooth and finds natural and everything fine but every time I down shift the lever stays down and won't flock back to its original position unless I click it back up. What did I do wrong as I'm freaking out

• grayracer513
42,881 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 26, 2014 - 06:30 AM

The shaft itself may be bent, or you have it dragging something inside the right side cover.  You'll need to conduct some exploratory surgery.

• WR450HOOLIGAN

TT Newbie

23 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hi I'm I just did this to my 450 and it changes really smooth and finds natural and everything fine but every time I down shift the lever stays down and won't flock back to its original position unless I click it back up. What did I do wrong as I'm freaking out

Look at YZusmc's post above (#29).
I would take it back apart. Move the shifter away from the bike. This will disengage it from the part pictured in his post. The shifter will now be useless until you place it back the way his looks. I accidentally did this and it was not a pleasant feeling because I did not inspect this part before this happened so at first I really didn't know what happened or how it was supposed to go. Just by looking at it I figured out what had moved and where it was supposed to go. Surprisingly easy to diagnose.

Haven't had a single problem since. I will say though when that piece gets misaligned it can do some funky stuff. Tool around with it and you willing find out what works by shifting and rotating the tire.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Beginner 2014 YZ 450 F or 2015 YZ 250 F ? by Tomsz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  54 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2014 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha YZ450F 2014
  • * * * * -
  • 35 reviews
  • Last review by Gode
  • On November 10, 2016
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

These forks!?! 2014 YZ450... by swaldrop

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  87 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 yz450f or 2013 kx450f by yz125rider447

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  61 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.