Rekluse problems

5 replies to this topic
  • moeyz250

Posted August 05, 2014 - 01:42 PM

I have a 2010 yz450f I've got a 3.0 exp in it has anyone had any problems with theirs. The fibers on the the 3.0 are worn down flat and the Teflon is coming off the wedges. I have a couple friends that have 2010 and 2013 they both have burned up clutches has anyone else burned up the clutch in their bike

• grayracer513

Posted August 05, 2014 - 03:13 PM

You have to keep track of the free travel on the clutch.  If you allow the play to slip below limits, it's just like running around with the lever pulled part way in all the time.  Read the Rekluse manual for setting up the "gain" again.  Of primary importance is the fact that when the revs are up and the clutch is completely engaged, there must be at least the minimum specified free travel at the lever.

Another thing that can lead to this problem is setting up the clutch with either or both of an engagement RPM that is too high, or and engagement rate that is too slow, and then spending a lot of time at lower speeds where the clutch is being modulated (slipped, feathered, etc.).  Riders who run a gear too high a lot can fall into this category, too.

The one last issue is that the EXP 2.0 and 3.0 (as different from the Core EXP) remove at least two plates from the clutch.  The clutch was already down a pair of plates compared to the '06 and earlier, so things have to be watched a little more closely as to maintenance and such.

• YzCas

Posted August 06, 2014 - 04:12 AM

I have a 2010 yz450f I've got a 3.0 exp in it has anyone had any problems with theirs. The fibers on the the 3.0 are worn down flat and the Teflon is coming off the wedges. I have a couple friends that have 2010 and 2013 they both have burned up clutches has anyone else burned up the clutch in their bike

I have one in my 13 rmz450f it's flawless. I had to adjust the free
play once after about a tough three hours. after the quakey break in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:36 AM

On a powerful bike like the YZ 450 there is no doubt that you really need the Core EXP with its extra clutch plates.

• gruberyz

Posted August 06, 2014 - 10:27 AM

My experince with the 2012 Yz450F is that the EXP is only unit that does not wear out quickly. Have had the Core unit on a 2012 for two season of MX and Cross country with my son a line behind the pros no issues The EXP unit would not even hold up on a 250 we tried it on for two races before it slipped under high rpm

• atf8611

Posted August 07, 2014 - 07:35 PM

How many hours were on it before it failed?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.