426 stalling when hot

5 replies to this topic
  • rile

Posted August 05, 2014 - 08:57 AM

I have a 2001 yz426.  love the bike runs great.  whenever I've ridden for a while though, it begins to stall at very random times.  Usually at lower rpm's but during a race it just flat died at mid throttle as well.  It seems once it starts it doesnt go away until the bike is completely cooled off.  I just rebuilt the carb with new jets and gaskets.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance

• rile

Posted August 06, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Started it up tonight and now seems to be when cool or hot. It won't even rev to WFO. Really frustrating me.

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Basic insulting question first: is the air filter clean? 

That out of the way, it sounds like a problem with the carb, maybe nothing more than water in the float bowl, or a piece of dirt in something.  Check the condition of the vacuum release plate on the engine side of the slide, too.  If it's cracked, or has a missing corner, that won't help.  The seal that goes between the slide and plate needs to be in one piece, too.  It will be swollen and twisted until it dries overnight, most times.  As long as it returns to its proper shape, is soft, and has no tears or missing chunks, you're OK.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rile

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:42 PM

The filter was cleaned before the last ride when it was acting up. I'll make sure to clean it again. Thanks for the ideas. I plan to comb over it this weekend to see what I can find. Much appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2014 - 06:26 AM

Might also want to verify that fuel flows freely to the carb and past the float needle.

• rile

Posted August 07, 2014 - 10:34 AM

will do that also.  i have new fuel lines that i can see through so i know its getting there.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.